• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie comics
2 2

The new Archie   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is the new Archie to your liking?

22 posts in this topic

Having read Archie, the title, since a young age, I still pull it to this day, I am curious to know if there are any other Archie addicts out there that still pull the title after the reboot. I, for one, was disturbed when I found out that Archie was to be reset and considered calling it quits there and then, yet I find it impossible to live life not knowing what the gang is up to! Naturally I continued with the series, but I detest the new Archie. Gone are the jokes of old, the flirty innuendo, Archie being a total klutz, and even Jug pigging out all the time! I find it hard to read the new series yet I am not able to take it out back and shoot it just yet due to habit. I keep hoping that one day I will pick up my books and the old art, and the old Archie, will be there waiting for me. :( . Anyone else having Archie problems in their life? Anyone care to share how the new Archie has affected them in negative ways? Or not?

Also, I have been waiting and waiting because I was told that Archie Comics was going to re-launch their GA characters, but have still seen nothing. Anyone know what's going on?

What is the current theme in Archie comics today? You tube, Twitter, Facebook, social issues? I voted I don't read Archie because that's true now but late 60's and 70's Archie comics will be forever (Veronica) lodged in my head. I'm sure ol' Arch doesn't ride around in his jalopy anymore, that seems pretty sad...:sorry: 

Edited by Jayman

Let's just say I don't like how Riverdale look like on its first season on TV. It was hard for me to watch. That said a lot what I think of the new look in the comics. 

I just put in an order for B&V copies ... Quinn and Ivy will guest star in there. Only reason is the AH! art cover. 

Read? Naw, I have my reader classic digest collection here. 

I don't understand the appeal.  Even as a kid, it all seemed like the same cookie-cutter characters and forced puns over and over.  The new stuff may be more story-driven, but I wouldn't start now.  My only interest now would be to find cheap copies to give away for Halloween.

18 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I don't understand the appeal.  Even as a kid, it all seemed like the same cookie-cutter characters and forced puns over and over.  The new stuff may be more story-driven, but I wouldn't start now.  My only interest now would be to find cheap copies to give away for Halloween.

Growing up, the Archie's were my older sisters comics while I had my DC horror books. We cross read our books eventually and besides the gags and puns (some of which are truly classic), there were some good heartwarming storylines in Archie. One I still remember was when Riverdale High was going to be closed down for some reason. Archie broke into the school at night and Mr. Weatherbee (who was still in the building) burst in ready to scold the intruder, only to find Archie crying at his desk over losing his beloved school. It's been probably 40 yrs since I've read that issue but it still sticks out in my mind! 

Edited by Jayman
Spelling

They do have an Archie "lite" out there called "Your Pal Archie" that is more in tune with the old style Archie.  I've only seen the 1st issue.  The art is more modernized but still Archie.  As for the "new" Archie; it's OK, tweened it up but doesn't have that Archie style I love.  I thought "Life with Archie" was excellent though.

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

What is the current theme in Archie comics today? You tube, Twitter, Facebook, social issues? I voted I don't read Archie because that's true now but late 60's and 70's Archie comics will be forever (Veronica) lodged in my head. I'm sure ol' Arch doesn't ride around in his jalopy anymore, that seems pretty sad...:sorry: 

Yes, it is an ultra modern look, yet Archie had always kept up with the times, technology wise, and was able to maintain the original "vibe." The jalopy has now become a simple fixer-upper. 

Social issues seem to prevail in the new Archie, but it has taken on a soap opera like atmosphere. When I used to read the old Archie I did so smiling and with a constant chuckle as I moved through the latest issue. In the new Archie, I feel tense as I read and I rarely chuckle. It has become a serious drama, more suited for 'young adults' then it is for children. 

Loved the Veronica Lodged in your head bit, classic. :) 

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Let's just say I don't like how Riverdale look like on its first season on TV. It was hard for me to watch. That said a lot what I think of the new look in the comics. 

I just put in an order for B&V copies ... Quinn and Ivy will guest star in there. Only reason is the AH! art cover. 

Read? Naw, I have my reader classic digest collection here. 

Although I enjoy Riverdale it took me a few episodes to get past the bastardisation  of the characters. The wife won't watch with me anymore because I yell at the TV when something is off and turn around heatedly and exclaim to her why it is wrong followed by "how could they do that to..." It dawned on me that perhaps I'm getting a little older and change is starting to upset me. Oh no! 

The B&V with Quinn and Ivy sounds neat, I'll have to check it out. Can you post it when it comes in?

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

It's so much deeper than that! Read it :baiting:.

Really like the Halloween idea too. (thumbsu

20 minutes ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

They do have an Archie "lite" out there called "Your Pal Archie" that is more in tune with the old style Archie.  I've only seen the 1st issue.  The art is more modernized but still Archie.  As for the "new" Archie; it's OK, tweened it up but doesn't have that Archie style I love.  I thought "Life with Archie" was excellent though.

I saw the Your Pal Archie on the stand. If I'm not mistaken Dan Parent was back. I will have to investigate this further. 

"Tweened up" is an excellent way to put it. Are you in marketing?! 

I also enjoyed Life with Archie, down hill from there though, unfortunately.

As a life long Archie reader I must admit that I love the Riverdale show, every week we sit as a family and watch it. It is the first time in the 25 years I have been with my wife that she showed any interest, my 16 year old son also loves the show. It did take me a few episodes to get into the changes but now I enjoy it. I like when tv shows and movies don't go strictly by the comics, it bores me when they do. I tried the new Riverdale comic and didn't enjoy it. I continue to buy older digest and some new ones that are like the good old archie books. I also continue to collect old back issues from the main titles, there is more than enough to keep me collecting until the day I die lol.

I don't know if I ever bought an Archie comic off the stands as a kid, I was definitely more into Marvel & DC superhero comics, but every once in a while I'd find a copy and read it and would end up really enjoying it.  

Now as a collector I've grown to appreciate the old Archie comics so much.  There's so much great artwork out there, especially from the GA.

P1130003.JPG

P1130004.JPG

I had read the new “Archie Your Pal” in a local grocery store. Yes, Dan Parent did the story in there. While it is good, I didn’t buy it anyway. I had stopped buying the new Archie series. Only the new mini-series B&V and Posion/Harvey is left until it ends at #6. Once it is done, I am done. 

I will continue on with the older titles because it is more fun to dig up the ones I need to fill up the gaps in my collection. I’m sorry to say but the Archie comics company had made the mistake to cut off the classic regular titles. Just the digests is left to continue on. 

Like most companies they will see their mistake and return to their roots.

if trying to attract new Young readers and capitalize on the TV show they could have added the new titles while still producing the old titles that 90% off their customer base purchases.

Edited by kidcolt

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I had read the new “Archie Your Pal” in a local grocery store. Yes, Dan Parent did the story in there. While it is good, I didn’t buy it anyway. I had stopped buying the new Archie series. Only the new mini-series B&V and Posion/Harvey is left until it ends at #6. Once it is done, I am done. 

I will continue on with the older titles because it is more fun to dig up the ones I need to fill up the gaps in my collection. I’m sorry to say but the Archie comics company had made the mistake to cut off the classic regular titles. Just the digests is left to continue on. 

I agree with you. I will never stop pulling Archie, but they made a blunder when they killed the original numbering. If they had continued with the 'legacy' Archie, as a separate run, and added the 'new' Archie, linking it to Riverdale and modern times, I think they would have fared a little better. Dan Parent is doing Your Pal Archie, but they are recycled stories so .... :(   

1 hour ago, kidcolt said:

Like most companies they will see their mistake and return to their roots.

if trying to attract new Young readers and capitalize on the TV show they could have added the new titles while still producing the old titles that 90% off their customer base purchases.

Should have read this before replying doh!

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I don't know if I ever bought an Archie comic off the stands as a kid, I was definitely more into Marvel & DC superhero comics, but every once in a while I'd find a copy and read it and would end up really enjoying it.  

Now as a collector I've grown to appreciate the old Archie comics so much.  There's so much great artwork out there, especially from the GA.

P1130003.JPG

P1130004.JPG

My older sis and I had an agreement, I would cover Archie, Casper, Richie Rich, and Bats and she would go all Marvel super heroes. After a month we would exchange books. Then she stopped reading comics and I had to buy them all myself :( I had to stop buying Richie Rich and Casper to get my super hero fix. 

Might interest you to know Dan Parent also did Richie Rich and some characters now.  I've seen and read his new stories. I had talked with him,  he said he enjoyed doing that and will do more. As well do Archie stories too. 

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy1 said:

Might interest you to know Dan Parent also did Richie Rich and some characters now.  I've seen and read his new stories. I had talked with him,  he said he enjoyed doing that and will do more. As well do Archie stories too. 

Are you saying that Richie Rich is being published again? I have not sen it....Who is doing it?