• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

515 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

No indeed.  Try them in blue.

Ryan Heshka always makes an homage his own interpretation in some meaningful way.  When I saw her eyes my heart went pitter pat.

CINDERELLA%20LOVE%2025%20final_zpsjqlhos

Awesome.  :cloud9:  

You own this original art, don't you?  What is the medium, acrylic on Bristol? 

4 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I forget who it was that suggested Baker used this photo of actress Linda Darnell as his model for the woman in his CL 25 cover.  A resemblance can definitely be seen... 

cl25_LindaDarnell.jpg

To me the girl in CL 25 looks to be the same girl that's in Phantom Lady 17... only now her hair is down, shes a little less risque... and she's definitely drawn better, more refined, more realistic... but she's got that same kinda look in her eye from a little different angle. 

Their resemblance is probably a big part of why out of all the Baker romance I like CL 25 best.

Phantom Cinderella... now that woulda been one hell of a Baker...

Edited by szavisca

8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

No indeed.  Try them in blue.

Ryan Heshka always makes an homage his own interpretation in some meaningful way.  When I saw her eyes my heart went pitter pat.

CINDERELLA%20LOVE%2025%20final_zpsjqlhos

Such a beautiful job by Heshka and that was a nice touch with the blue eyes too.

CL #25 was a strong #1 on my list.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:20 PM, tabcom said:

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 2.16.47 PM.png

That number 1 is a romance cover and number 2 is a GGA cover kind of fits the two sides of Baker and the two aspects of his art that inspire collectors. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That number 1 is a romance cover and number 2 is a GGA cover kind of fits the two sides of Baker and the two aspects of his art that inspire collectors. 

Great point.  Baker has risen in prominence tremendously due to his outstanding St. John romance work but it also seems like there is a new found appreciation for his good girl art work in Seven Seas as reflected in the poll.

Of course, Baker did great crime and western cover work as well as the occasional horror cover.  Curious if folks will start turning a bit more to collecting his great interior work for Fiction House and what I suspect are a few Baker covers in that run.