• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

515 posts in this topic

I've owned and loved Zago #4 for almost 30 years.  But I still haven't found the right copy of Wild Boy #14... 

Unless I told you this story is from Stories of Romance #11 (Atlas), how would you guess it isn't another of Baker's great stories for St. John?  

StoriesOfRomance11a.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog
correction

15 is one of my favourites in the run. First because I like the cover a lot and secondly because it's pretty safely a true Baker cover .

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.80b3098711776015ebc3f4af743831fe.JPG

Not my copy. I'm lazy to find my own scan. lol

Edited by N e r V

10 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

pl18a.jpg

LOOK at that! Just the perfect copy! I really, really like those vertical vignettes (or how do you call them) at the left edges of the books, a splendid & unique Fox feature. They often suffer from miswraps. But here you go! Perfect matching colors on the #18 to boot! :applause:

15 minutes ago, Pickie said:

LOOK at that! Just the perfect copy! I really, really like those vertical vignettes (or how do you call them) at the left edges of the books, a splendid & unique Fox feature. They often suffer from miswraps. But here you go! Perfect matching colors on the #18 to boot! :applause:

My only complaint would be the small vertical patches of missing red on the right side.  But that's not the result of rubbing or scuffing, as it might appear.  It's an area that didn't receive a full degree of red ink during the printing process.  Anyone who's seen enough Fox books from this period will know what I'm talking about. 

Because that's a printing glitch, and not wear, I believe CGC would consider it less of a strike against the grade.  

8 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

My only complaint would be the small vertical patches of missing red on the right side.

I hear you, but it's no big deal. There's enough red on the book lol and like this, for the eye of the beholder it's clear at first sight that it's not a 9.6 copy or something like that. Next thing is the joy about the overall impression! What would happen if there weren't those patches? Your eye would search and focus on the next lesser "defect" ... and so on ... :eyeroll: You can skip that! :smile: Anyway, if you're ever going to part with this very copy ... :takeit:

9 minutes ago, Pickie said:

I hear you, but it's no big deal. There's enough red on the book lol and like this, for the eye of the beholder it's clear at first sight that it's not a 9.6 copy or something like that. Next thing is the joy about the overall impression! What would happen if there weren't those patches? Your eye would search and focus on the next lesser "defect" ... and so on ... :eyeroll: You can skip that! :smile: Anyway, if you're ever going to part with this very copy ... :takeit:

Last night a slabbed 5.0 copy of PL 18 sold for $1,975.  That seems like it's got to be a record setting price.  

But, Phantom Lady prices have always been much higher than Baker romance prices, and with the latter going up so much, and so fast, PL prices seem like they should be going up, too, if they are to maintain the same relative value they've traditionally held. 

I'm fine with that. I have a beater copy and a nice copy of my favourite GGA book (PL 20) and that's that. Only wanted ONE (took me a long time to decide and come up with an "all-time high"). But if there comes an opportunity like your find at that local show ... :smile: