• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

515 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Pickie said:

I'm fine with that. I have a beater copy and a nice copy of my favourite GGA book (PL 20) and that's that. Only wanted ONE (took me a long time to decide and come up with an "all-time high"). But if there comes an opportunity like your find at that local show ... :smile:

I was actually looking for a copy of PL 18, but it didn't need to be high grade.  As I said, I stumbled on this one... it was nicer than I needed, but the price was like buying money at 50% off.  

PL 20 is not one of my favorite covers, but I believe it's one of the best issues for interior art!  For that reason alone I'd like to find a beat but complete copy.  

2 hours ago, Pickie said:

I hear you, but it's no big deal. There's enough red on the book lol and like this, for the eye of the beholder it's clear at first sight that it's not a 9.6 copy or something like that. Next thing is the joy about the overall impression! What would happen if there weren't those patches? Your eye would search and focus on the next lesser "defect" ... and so on ... :eyeroll: You can skip that! :smile: Anyway, if you're ever going to part with this very copy ... :takeit:

Get in line :sumo::wink:

20 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Some great Wild Boy covers, too, even though only one of them by Baker has a female on the cover.  

WildBoy11_pb.jpg

For a comic book publisher, ST. John really downplayed their company logo, issue #, and price on the cover. Let the art sell the book!  

3 hours ago, Inaflash said:

Which one of your sales threads will this be posted in?

Something post-mortem.

We've discussed this in the past... but I have a feeling a few newer Baker fans have joined the party recently, so... 

Here's another cover that often gets credit for being a Baker; Secrets of Love and Marriage Vol.2 No.1, Charlton, Aug., 1956.  It's not him, but at least this one's an honest mistake, since it's a direct swipe of a panel Baker did draw, in Teen-Age Temptations #8, June 1954 (two years earlier).  The Charlton cover is probably by "Spoon" Giordano (or, as Andy calls him, Duck Giordano)...     

SecretsOfLoveAndMarriage1.jpg

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

21 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

We've discussed this in the past... but I have a feeling a few newer Baker fans have joined the party recently, so... 

Here's another cover that often gets credit for being a Baker; Secrets of Love and Marriage Vol.2 No.1, Charlton, Aug., 1956.  It's not him, but at least this one's an honest mistake, since it's a direct swipe of a panel Baker did draw, in Teen-Age Temptations #8, June 1954 (two years earlier).  The Charlton cover is probably by "Spoon" Giordano (or, as Andy calls him, Duck Giordano)...     

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

Wasn't there an eBay seller who kept listing copies of this book noting that it might be a Baker cover?  Or maybe he just kept listing the same copy over and over. 

I can't seem to find a scan of my copy, but there's another Charlton romance book where Giordano rips off the cover to TAR 43. 

Edited:  Found a scan.  Not sure if this is my copy or not.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad

Edited by Sqeggs

30 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I can't seem to find a scan of my copy, but there's another Charlton romance book where Giordano rips off the cover to TAR 43. 

Edited:  Found a scan.  Not sure if this is my copy or not.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad

You old schoolers who can't even remember what you have.. :) 

I guess if you dig through the pile and find out that this is your copy it must be something like finding a 20$ bill in the pocket of a jacket you haven't worn in years.  Or in the case of this book would it be more like a 5$ bill?

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

You old schoolers who can't even remember what you have.. :) 

I guess if you dig through the pile and find out that this is your copy it must be something like finding a 20$ bill in the pocket of a jacket you haven't worn in years.  Or in the case of this book would it be more like a 5$ bill?

If only I had an extra copy of TAR 43 in there somewhere!

I knew there was at least one other example of Giordano borrowing from Baker.  Brides in Love #3, Charlton, Apr., 1957, bears more than a passing resemblance to the first panel of this page from Teen-Age Romances #19, Dec., 1951.  (Now this panel made for a pretty good cover.) 

(Both are borrowed from the DCM):  

BridesInLove3_4_57.jpg

tar19_page.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog

On 10/2/2017 at 12:30 PM, Sqeggs said:

This illo is really a knockout! 

On 10/3/2017 at 8:37 AM, 29dukedog said:

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

I also see hints of Kubert (son of sinbad-ish) and ditko in the cover.  Almost like it was an Iger studio collaboration.