• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Getting Deeper in Your Wallet
1 1

88 posts in this topic

Updates to the eBay User Agreement

The key update to the eBay User Agreement is that we’ve made it clearer how we address violations of our policy on offers to buy or sell outside eBay. Sellers who violate this policy may be charged a final value fee for the applicable item, even if it doesn’t sell.

You should have also received a survey from eBay. Make sure to complete it with your displeasure with their return policies and hiding bidding information which leads to continued shilling and market manipulation.

So they charge you if you receive an offer to sell outside E-Bay?  Or they charge you if you supply masked information even if the item doesn't sell with the assumption being you sold another similar copy to the person?  I don't mess around with that stuff anymore after getting my hand slapped a year ago.  Not worth getting your account frozen for a couple sales.

Just now, 1Cool said:

So they charge you if you receive an offer to sell outside E-Bay?  Or they charge you if you supply masked information even if the item doesn't sell with the assumption being you sold another similar copy to the person?  I don't mess around with that stuff anymore after getting my hand slapped a year ago.  Not worth getting your account frozen for a couple sales.

No clue how they make a determination. Probably if there is something that tips them off from a seller and then you take down the item.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

No clue how they make a determination. Probably if there is something that tips them off from a seller and then you take down the item.

I think any time you get a message about an item and then you take it down as unsold you run a good chance of having them review the messages about that item.  It doesn't even have to be quickly either.  Last year I masked contact info in a message and I worked out a deal for a slightly better copy I hadn't listed yet.  I forgot about it and then pulled the 1st book to put it up on auction.  Got a 1 week suspension for the violation even though I technically did not sell the copy I had on E-Bay.  Since then I just say I can't do off e-bay deals.

I think they've enhanced their detection of outside transactions because they will have to have overwhelming proof in order to charge you for not selling through them.  I think they've realized closing accounts for this reason isn't the proper way to handle these violations because its throwing revenue out the window.  They've been taking a hard-line approach to this so while its ridiculous to charge a seller an unrealized fee, at least sellers who've been around for over a decade aren't getting their accounts permanently disabled (I've seen this happen a few times).  I don't even respond to buyers asking to complete a sale outside of eBay.

I recently received a warning message about placing contact info in my item descriptions, which I’ve never done. I believe what the system picked out was the line “Please feel free to email any questions you might have,” referring to sending a message through the ebay system. I’ve never listed any other means to contact me.

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I haven't sold anything on eBay in awhile.  Is their cut still 10% or has it gone up?  I think PayPal is 4%, right?

Paypal I believe is 2.9% plus $0.30.  Store owners pay 9% but I believe regular is 10%.

2 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I recall a seller asking me to buy an item for a set price outside of eBay, for an item I inquired about. So, I'm certain it happens a lot.

I've had that happen, too. 

They do appear to be more vigilant about this, their revenue took a hit recently so they're all over it.  The reason their revenue tanked isn't off-ebay deals though so they're fixing a pimple while a severed artery is right next to it.  Amazon must be taking their business since buying new things is always more desirable than buying used (perception is ebay is used items mostly). 

On top of that, they recently raised the store fees and lowered the incentives.  It's not the way to encourage more business on ebay.

I'd love it if Amazon had a recently sold feature like E-Bay.  I'd like to think collectible comics are selling on Amazon but I just can't see how with the way it's currently set up.  I can definitely see TPBs and Omnibus's being sold over on Amazon but the number of books like X-Men 141 and Spiderman 135 being sold over there has to be tiny.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'd love it if Amazon had a recently sold feature like E-Bay.  I'd like to think collectible comics are selling on Amazon but I just can't see how with the way it's currently set up.  I can definitely see TPBs and Omnibus's being sold over on Amazon but the number of books like X-Men 141 and Spiderman 135 being sold over there has to be tiny.

What's amazing too me is the prices some get for their stuff. Easily 20% over eBay's price sometimes. I wont buy comics on Amazon
basically cause sellers cant pack unless I am desperate, but it is getting to be appealing as a seller.

11 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What's amazing too me is the prices some get for their stuff. Easily 20% over eBay's price sometimes. I wont buy comics on Amazon
basically cause sellers cant pack unless I am desperate, but it is getting to be appealing as a seller.

Check their fee structure first. I've been using Amazon to sell some stuff here and there (not comics, mainly old books and the odd star wars collectible), but there are some things I literally lose money to sell. Books that sell for a buck or two, Amazon is taking $3-4 in fees and I typically only make 60-70 cents on shipping, so I'm looking at having to pay Amazon unless I can make up the difference on a more expensive item. Don't think they always used to be this steep on lower-priced items, but it's not a flat 10% commission like it is for eBay.

eBay - in their attempt to compete with Amazon - has essentially lost sight of what made them great to begin with.  IMHO, they would do well to return to their flea market, auction wild west roots. There is a reason I haven't sold anything on eBay for years now. The terms for sellers are unappealing. I can do better elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

eBay - in their attempt to compete with Amazon - has essentially lost sight of what made them great to begin with.  IMHO, they would do well to return to their flea market, auction wild west roots. There is a reason I haven't sold anything on eBay for years now. The terms for sellers are unappealing. I can do better elsewhere. 

It sounds like they're not just deep in your pockets, but doing an entire reach around.