• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Me to CGC: You're misspelling Fox Feature Syndicate. CGC to me: We don't care.
1 1

96 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, SteppinRazor said:

No need to apologize, it's not your fault people have short attention sp

Haha.... (You okay?)

I did take a look at this thread on a smartphone, and wow, that turns the wall of text into a skyscraper of text. Normally I read/write on a home computer with a wide-resolution monitor.

I appreciate everybody's responses, even the ones that lean toward disagreement. Not trying to make a case about this; just wanted to share my experience. I can take "no" for an answer, but it does change how I feel about CGC.

Having worked in IT for a number of years I'm scratching my head on how making a database change to remove the extra "s" would cause any issues. The one thing that does come to mind is if there are parent/child dependencies between the publisher name and the various books books of publisher in the database. That seems unlikely as there is likely to be a publisher number to make the relation from the publisher level (parent) down to the comic book level (Child), and not the publisher name itself. (shrug)

10 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Having worked in IT for a number of years I'm scratching my head on how making a database change to remove the extra "s" would cause any issues. The one thing that does come to mind is if there are parent/child dependencies between the publisher name and the various books books of publisher in the database. That seems unlikely as there is likely to be a publisher number to make the relation from the publisher level (parent) down to the comic book level (Child), and not the publisher name itself. (shrug)

I have a feeling that the Publisher name is a key field on one or more of their databases. They can't seem to make changes to the Registry point values without going through a big effort for every change. They are probably using some legacy vendor software ala 1999 so who knows what kind of databases they are using. I don't think they would have said no unless the IT vendor told them it would be difficult. Not much benefit for such a minor 'typo' to spend the time or effort on.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Have you guys ever seen a GLOD label specifying a clipped coupon on a particular page number and when you check the Comic book databases, there is actually no coupon on that particular page in the middle of the book?  :facepalm:

There is a coupon on another page at the end of the book though, which kind of makes you wonder if the coupon was even clipped at all and maybe it should actually be sitting in a blue Universal label instead of a GLOD.  ??? 

Can't tell without cracking the book out of the slab though.  :censored:

I can do better than that. I bought a GLOD that said "coupon clipped". I cracked it out (was always going to) and found that it was a panel clipped out of a page with story on both sides.  :censored:

So much for "buying slabbed books for peace of mind about what you're getting".

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I have a feeling that the Publisher name is a key field on one or more of their databases. They can't seem to make changes to the Registry point values without going through a big effort for every change. They are probably using some legacy vendor software ala 1999 so who knows what kind of databases they are using. I don't think they would have said no unless the IT vendor told them it would be difficult. Not much benefit for such a minor 'typo' to spend the time or effort on.

It's not a big deal to change it in the system and have the label correct going forward.  They just don't want everyone who owns a book with the incorrect label sending it in for a gratis re-slab - those costs could add up. Hence, the lame-azz lower level management decision. C'mon guys - Do The Right Thing! 

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yup, we had this problem at my company years back (early 2000's). Database is still littered with models from the early days which could not be directly edited at the time so typos just had to stay in the system and a new entry made for a correction. Of course, we changed that over after a few years and everything is editable including the original data, but that would obviously be a real pickle if they're using software that makes it impossible to edit certain entries.

12 hours ago, AJD said:

I can do better than that. I bought a GLOD that said "coupon clipped". I cracked it out (was always going to) and found that it was a panel clipped out of a page with story on both sides.  :censored:

So much for "buying slabbed books for peace of mind about what you're getting".

Wow! Now THAT is a big problem. Kind of makes you think about submitting books to them...

3 hours ago, telerites said:

If CGC makes the change, I could see them getting requests for reholders at no cost since they made a labeling error :insane:

This change is so minor and insignificant that I really doubt they would be swamped with reholder requests. Unless, some would use this as an excuse to get e FREE Reholder to the new slab design. If a change were made, I think CGC could legitimately turn down a Reholder request to 'fix' the label on something like this. 

I realize this thread is more about the attitude of CGC rather than the actual change but I really think the change, for programming reasons referenced above, may not be as trivial as everyone thinks. Let's face it, CGC is generally not transparent, they keep secrets. I think the 'fact' that they are using some outdated legacy software is one of these secrets. They said NO, they offend one customer. That customer takes it to the Boards, gets a small reaction but they know it will blow over quickly. It always does.

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
3 hours ago, telerites said:

If CGC makes the change, I could see them getting requests for reholders at no cost since they made a labeling error :insane:

This change is so minor and insignificant that I really doubt they would be swamped with reholder requests. Unless, some would use this as an excuse to get e FREE Reholder to the new slab design. If a change were made, I think CGC could legitimately turn down a Reholder request to 'fix' the label on something like this. 

I realize this thread is more about the attitude of CGC rather than the actual change but I really think the change, for programming reasons referenced above, may not be as trivial as everyone thinks. Let's face it, CGC is generally not transparent, they keep secrets. I think the 'fact' that they are using some outdated legacy software is one of these secrets. They said NO, they offend one customer. That customer takes it to the Boards, gets a small reaction but they know it will blow over quickly. It always does.

Bob

I hope you know I was being facetious regarding the reholder requests (hence the emoticon).  

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Now I do ! My Bad . 

And also more tongue in cheek frivolity if they did change it, it would not surprise me though if someone did request a free reholder or if someone tried to "ebay" an old label Fox as "old Fox label goodness and rarity."  

Heck Neatstuff is now marketing a Silver Collection they bought and have listed and calling it the "Peroria Edgar Church" Collection in the title and description.  

Here is one of their listings and cut from the description - 

And apologies for this side-track to the OP topic but this irked me when I saw it.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-102-142-EDGAR-CHURCH-all-9-2-9-6-ONLY-NM-Marvel-Comic-Book-/362107214727?hash=item544f459b87:g:9CkAAOSwEkhZvw2c

The books offered in this collection are from one person who bought off the news stand in Peoria, Illinois from 1965 to 1975, placed in carefully wrapped shopping bags and put into beer boxes for the next 42 years. Over the next few weeks we will be offering the books from this collection in lots. Every single book in this collection is near mint. Expert care has been taken into this. Every book has brand new bags and boards. Please check our other lots being offered from this “Peoria Edgar church” collection.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

And also more tongue in cheek frivolity if they did change it, it would not surprise me though if someone did request a free reholder or if someone tried to "ebay" an old label Fox as "old Fox label goodness and rarity."  

Heck Neatstuff is now marketing a Silver Collection they bought and have listed and calling it the "Peroria Edgar Church" Collection in the title and description.  

Here is one of their listings and cut from the description - 

And apologies for this side-track to the OP topic but this irked me when I saw it.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-102-142-EDGAR-CHURCH-all-9-2-9-6-ONLY-NM-Marvel-Comic-Book-/362107214727?hash=item544f459b87:g:9CkAAOSwEkhZvw2c

The books offered in this collection are from one person who bought off the news stand in Peoria, Illinois from 1965 to 1975, placed in carefully wrapped shopping bags and put into beer boxes for the next 42 years. Over the next few weeks we will be offering the books from this collection in lots. Every single book in this collection is near mint. Expert care has been taken into this. Every book has brand new bags and boards. Please check our other lots being offered from this “Peoria Edgar church” collection.

This bothers me also. The designation 'Edgar Church' should be propietary. Terrible grading also. Look at ASM 102, big corner crunch, not 9.6 IMO.  THis collection is only 27 books ? This is a joke.