• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd party hosting site besides photobucket
1 1

42 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I've been using imgur for over ten years without any issues. Though to be fair, I do not need to host a bazillion tiny pics for auction threads like some do.

You were reading my mind.  I do need to host a bazillion thumbnails - does anyone have a suggestion for an easy site to use that produces good thumbnails?

51 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
57 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I've been using imgur for over ten years without any issues. Though to be fair, I do not need to host a bazillion tiny pics for auction threads like some do.

You were reading my mind.  I do need to host a bazillion thumbnails - does anyone have a suggestion for an easy site to use that produces good thumbnails?

The imgur website allows a couple of hundred free photos -- and while I don't need more than that, I thought they were somewhat reasonable as far as paying to host more  than that-- might be worth checking out. Only say that as some have said photobucket was trying to get 400 bucks or something crazy for hosting pics on their website iirc.

9 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

The imgur website allows a couple of hundred free photos -- and while I don't need more than that, I thought they were somewhat reasonable as far as paying to host more  than that-- might be worth checking out. Only say that as some have said photobucket was trying to get 400 bucks or something crazy for hosting pics on their website iirc.

I probably need to figure out if that's still the case, or if they've backed off on that some.  I already had a "pro account" or something like that, and my images are still working.

7 hours ago, lizards2 said:
8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:
8 hours ago, lizards2 said:
9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I probably need to figure out if that's still the case, or if they've backed off on that some.  I already had a "pro account" or something like that, and my images are still working.

I tried to log into photobucket last night and had the $399 pop up box hit my screen first thing.  I couldn't even access my library cuz of all the ads too.  It's been this way for awhile too :( 

3 minutes ago, Senormac said:
7 hours ago, lizards2 said:
8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:
9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I tried to log into photobucket last night and had the $399 pop up box hit my screen first thing.  I couldn't even access my library cuz of all the ads too.  It's been this way for awhile too :( 

I just logged in and mine is fine.  I don't see anywhere to look at my account information, so I'll have to go to my  credit card bills and see when my pro account expires.

I found it - next payment due June 15, 2018, so I'm apparently good until then.

If I remember correctly, the free accounts had a limited bandwidth that carpped out when too many people viewed your hosted items.  That is why I went to the Pro Account, which I think was unlimited bandwidth.  I'm guessing since they processed an automatic payment out of my credit card on June 15 of the year, that they are stuck with me until June 15 of next year. 

Since the free users don't pay anything, that is probably why they can now attempt to extort those free users

Edited by lizards2

So in July I got this

Ash (Photobucket Support)
Jul 31, 4:04 PM MDT
I apologize for my previous response, I did not intend to send that incomplete message.
Your Plus 20 Legacy Pro plan expires on 10/10/18, however because your account is setup on a biyearly auto-payment and because you are a loyal customer we are going to honor the renewal of that plan for another 2 years.
I hope this clarifies any confusion the previous communication may have caused.
Best regards,

Today I get this...

Hi Sharon,
This message is to inform you that we discontinued the Plus 20 plan in January of 2015. We have grandfathered your expired plan for several months as a convenience.
In order to keep your account current and all of your content available, we are asking that you migrate over to one of our current Plus plan offerings: Plans
Failure to do so within 30 days will result in your billing to be suspended, and your account will be reverted to a free account.
If you have any questions about your account or which of our current offerings is right for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Thanks,
Sebastian,
your personal account manager

I'm not an attorney, but aren't they violating a written agreement? 

It sounds like they are really searching hard for extortion money to keep the lights on.

Edited by lizards2

5 minutes ago, greggy said:

Screw them.  I got the same email. 

Which one, the one where they said you were cool for 2 years, or the one that says you have one month? I have vacation pictures and family pictures on there otherwise I'd just close it now.

I’ve been getting myriad emails from them offering me this and that in return for upgradging my account. (Still using the free one.) I count 8 from October and 5 so far this month. Here’s one from last week:

"We are overwhelmed by your support!

(and so was our site)

We had so much traffic this weekend that it took us to the limit. Our tech team has been working around the clock, and NOW every element on our site is stronger and ready for our growing service and soon-to-be released new platform.

Thank you for your loyalty as we grow and improve Photobucket. We’re sorry for the inconvenience – please accept our code good for $15 off your order.”

They can take a flying leap through a rolling doughnut.

I’m migrating my stuff out of there but interestingly I’m still able to post images on third party sites although I sometimes have to adjust the URL slightly to get rid of extraneous characters.

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Which one, the one where they said you were cool for 2 years, or the one that says you have one month? I have vacation pictures and family pictures on there otherwise I'd just close it now.

Same one you got today.

I have all the pics I want to keep on my computer so I can survive.

Sure, my links for past pics will be blocked but I'll live with that.

If dropbox is easy to organize with albums, I'll switch over and support them by buying more storage just for the hell of it. 

1 minute ago, greggy said:

Same one you got today.

I have all the pics I want to keep on my computer so I can survive.

Sure, my links for past pics will be blocked but I'll live with that.

If dropbox is easy to organize with albums, I'll switch over and support them by buying more storage just for the hell of it. 

You can do folders, I don't really use those much. I find I can access everything by naming it. There is no 3rd party hosting, but you get a ton of space for $90 a year (or something like that...it's nowhere near $399)

5 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

I’ve been getting myriad emails from them offering me this and that in return for upgradging my account. (Still using the free one.) I count 8 from October and 5 so far this month. Here’s one from last week:

"We are overwhelmed by your support!

(and so was our site)

We had so much traffic this weekend that it took us to the limit. Our tech team has been working around the clock, and NOW every element on our site is stronger and ready for our growing service and soon-to-be released new platform.

Thank you for your loyalty as we grow and improve Photobucket. We’re sorry for the inconvenience – please accept our code good for $15 off your order.”

They can take a flying leap through a rolling doughnut.

I’m migrating my stuff out of there but interestingly I’m still able to post images on third party sites although I sometimes have to adjust the URL slightly to get rid of extraneous characters.

$15 off of $399 is not so good.

The problem I'm having with migrating stuff off, is that it's so often impossible to sign on, and downloading takes a long time. Maybe you have tricks to use, D ick? @ Pontoon