• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official Comiclink September Focused auction thread
2 2

46 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I put in a couple dozen tracking bids, and have so far been outbid on all but five or six. Of those, there are only two that I plan on making a serious run at.

I'm surprised that Lim page is going in this auction and didn't end up in the featured auction. It should sell very well, I'd think.

So I have been considering this - does counter programming/listing work?  For example will a decent but not spectacular piece do better at a sunday auction or focused auction because it will stand out more?  Not to dis Lim Surfer stuff (which i enjoy btw) - but put that next to some bigger pirces (kirby, perez, adams, etc..) and it could be seen as lessor or given less attention to.

1 minute ago, Panelfan1 said:

So I have been considering this - does counter programming/listing work?  For example will a decent but not spectacular piece do better at a sunday auction or focused auction because it will stand out more?  Not to dis Lim Surfer stuff (which i enjoy btw) - but put that next to some bigger pirces (kirby, perez, adams, etc..) and it could be seen as lessor or given less attention to.

yeah, I think I agree with that logic.  That does mean that you are counting on people with money burning in their pocket and buys the best available even though they would not buy it normally.

Kinda like when you are at a con and you don't truly like any of the artist but because you are there you still try to get a sketch from the best person there 

Malvin

8 minutes ago, malvin said:

yeah, I think I agree with that logic.  That does mean that you are counting on people with money burning in their pocket and buys the best available even though they would not buy it normally.

Kinda like when you are at a con and you don't truly like any of the artist but because you are there you still try to get a sketch from the best person there 

Malvin

There are studies on auction psychology. I should think you want your piece to be in a high publicity auction that gets more eyeballs on it. It also allows for the people who come up short on higher end pieces to maybe alternatively bid on yours. I dunno.

4 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

FWIW, I bid on a mid-tier piece during an HA signature auction a few years ago and it went for slightly more than I was willing to spend and the same piece turned up recently (within the last six months) on a Sunday night HA auction. I wasn't available for the live auction so I placed my maximum bid for about the same price it sold for a few years ago thinking the non-freshness aspect and not being in a higher profile auction would be to my favor and I was the underbidder... so the results were approximately the same.

Edited by Hekla

39 minutes ago, Hekla said:

FWIW, I bid on a mid-tier piece during an HA signature auction a few years ago and it went for slightly more than I was willing to spend and the same piece turned up recently (within the last six months) on a Sunday night HA auction. I wasn't available for the live auction so I placed my maximum bid for about the same price it sold for a few years ago thinking the non-freshness aspect and not being in a higher profile auction would be to my favor and I was the underbidder... so the results were approximately the same.

What was the piece?  Just being nosey.

27 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

What was the piece?  Just being nosey.

a Rude Nexus page. Actually I checked prices after my initial post and it was slightly less for the Sunday night auction but still within close range without the vig.

Should have bid more; good Rude Nexus pages don't come up often :p

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgauntlet%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1201965&id=1201965&itemType=1

lol

I guess this might show us the bottom for IG art. Craziness. 

Also out 15 total pages of, only 5 pages of them are over $100, bargain bin diving tonight!

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dgauntlet%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1201965&id=1201965&itemType=1

lol

Also out 15 total pages of, only 5 pages of them are over $100, bargain bin diving tonight!

funnily enough some friends were talking about the same thing.  Sad that I had to sell a page to fund raise a year or two ago, but glad that I have 3 or so great pages still!

Malvin

11 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

lol

Prices are going low for a lot of things tonite! 

I think having the Focused auction on a Friday is really hurting prices. Everybody is out. If this were the middle of the week, I think all lots would be doing better.

For the Featured Auctions, maybe it would matter less. But I still think it makes more sense not to end things on Friday or Saturday night.

Edited by BCarter27

32 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I think having the Focused auction on a Friday is really hurting prices. Everybody is out. If this were the middle of the week, I think all lots would be doing better.

For the Featured Auctions, maybe it would matter less. But I still think it makes more sense not to end things on Friday or Saturday night.

Or maybe just auction fatigue? This came right after sept feature auction , and lots are up for the nov/ dec feature auctions at heritage, clink, and comicconnect 

6 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

500+ lots ending late friday night is never a good idea. Very few snipes coming in. 

True, and I won a couple of things 

But in general these are lower end items, even compared to other focused auctions

Malvin 

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

True, and I won a couple of things 

But in general these are lower end items, even compared to other focused auctions

Malvin 

This is one of the lower tier auctions I have seen recently for sure. I won something early, so now I have to find a few more things to spread around the shipping lol

If whoever won the Parobeck Batman Adventures page on Clink is on the boards, LMK if you'd like to make a nice quick profit on it. Forgot it was ending tonight (insufficiently_thoughtful_person!!) The page has some ...sentimental value to me because it features Talia al Ghul ... and I named my youngest daughter after her :)

Mike 

Just now, NinjaSealed said:

This is one of the lower tier auctions I have seen recently for sure. I won something early, so now I have to find a few more things to spread around the shipping lol

I did the same thing after winning my first one. Bought an empty mcniven splash for 21

Malvin 

There was only one page that I cared enough about to put a tracking bid on, and that was just barely.  It may have just been an auction that didn't inspire many to hang out and get caught up in the action.  All I do is low end, so that wasn't the issue for me.  The selection, and, as RyanfromOttawa said, auction fatigue may have been factors.  It's incredible, to me, that demand still seems to be there when there's so much supply on all levels.  It helps nullify regret that I could have missing out on almost anything.

Friday may have been a factor, but aren't most of the people buying OA closer to getting senior's discounts than being out partying?  Maybe CL should have scheduled the auction between nap times.

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

500+ lots ending late friday night is never a good idea. Very few snipes coming in. 

Hmf.  An exception was made for the one piece I was targeting.  Tsk.  We'll see if the winner really wants to pay that price.

Edited by thethedew

I didn't feel prices were low for the better stuff. There were a lot of 'filler' pages/sketches that went cheap if you were interested in them.  The really nice stuff went at market. At least the items I was following. I won 2 items, neither of which were comic art.