• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Dell Comics Duck Question - Donald Duck #26

21 posts in this topic

Hi All,

This is something I have wondered for a while - as I have been looking for a nice copy of this issue and haven't come across one.

I love the cover for Donald Duck 26. I don't buy many books, so when I do, I try for a CGC 7 or better quality wise.  However, this book really never shows up in that grade or higher.

Why is that?  Is this just a not heavily collected series, so people arent having them graded? Are they just hard to find in higher grades because they were marketed to smaller kids?

Just looking for a little education on the Dell Duck books :)

Thank you!

4164623.jpg

Hey that would go nice with my Little Lulu 16.  Hmmm...

But to your question...yes, they were printed in huge numbers, widely distributed, bought mainly by kids and the *spoon* was read out of them.  So something along the lines of a 7.0 is going to be tough.   Maybe lower your standards a bit and go with more presentation than overall grade.

Edited by CKB
spooned!

38 Blue 1 PLOD (Purple label)

19 graded at 7.0 and above.   Since  your supply is pretty low, the price will be high.

8.0 went for $501.90 in August 2017 Heritage Auction.  Depending on where you reside, you may have to add sales tax to the final cost.  Before the 8.0, there have been no Heritage Auctions of slabbed copies since 2010.

I tried to win a Four Color 238 Blue 9.0 on Heritage, but quit at $775.  With Buyer's Premium and Sales Tax, the next bid would be over GPA.

Disney comics like Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories are probably the most popular comics ever. In the 50s and into the 60s each title was selling well over a million copies a month I think. Also I think they were just comics that were read a million times, passed from person to person and kids probably kept them longer and read them more, so they are usually beat to heck.

13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

For some reason, the Gerber Guides scarcity index was a little higher than it was for other contemporary Duck books, and it's certainly tough in grade. My copy would probably fall in the 6.0-6.5 range.

donaldducktrickortreat.jpg

I would be thrilled with a copy that presents this nicely!!!  Really beautiful example you have!!

It's pretty widely known that Rosa is a total jerk unless you kiss his ___ and make absolutely no mention of Disney in his presence.

The only time I ever dealt with him was when someone asked me to see if he was doing sketches.  He wasn't interested in doing one, which was cool, but I still wanted to take a quick second to thank him for all he did for (some of my all time favorite characters) Uncle Scrooge, the nephews, and Donald...at which point his rebuke was "Donald Duck is Carl Barks" and he snidely turned away.  I could've pointed out that Donald is all over his work and the wall art of his booth, but it wasn't worth the grief.  F him.   

But since the issue you highlighted is a Carl Barks book...  :devil:

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

It's pretty widely known that Rosa is a total jerk unless you kiss his ___ and make absolutely no mention of Disney in his presence.

The only time I ever dealt with him was when someone asked me to see if he was doing sketches.  He wasn't interested in doing one, which was cool, but I still wanted to take a quick second to thank him for all he did for (some of my all time favorite characters) Uncle Scrooge, the nephews, and Donald...at which point his rebuke was "Donald Duck is Carl Barks" and he snidely turned away.  I could've pointed out that Donald is all over his work and the wall art of his booth, but it wasn't worth the grief.  F him.   

But since the issue you highlighted is a Carl Barks book...  :devil:

Wow.  sounds like D. R. is a bitter old man :( 

15 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:
18 hours ago, Senormac said:

Wow.  sounds like D. R. is a bitter old man :( 

Sorry, but that forum name is already taken.lol

lol

BTW, as originally published in DD #26, the story had several pages cut by Disney's editors because they were too spooky. The restored version was reprinted in Donald Duck Adventures #47 in 2005 - it's probably worth spending a couple of bucks to read it as Barks intended. The page I linked shows the restored first page, and its great splash panel.