• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Marvel Comics commercial
2 2

23 posts in this topic

I was born in 81 lol and dont remember those kinds of commercials. But vaguely remember thats what the picture used to look like...

"Even on rainy days", guess that was before major home gaming systems?

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was born in 81 lol and dont remember those kinds of commercials. But vaguely remember thats what the picture used to look like...

"Even on rainy days", guess that was before major home gaming systems?

Comics and Atari.....best times

11 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Comics and Atari.....best times

I remember Atari, my friend had like 30 games, mainly remember frogger, and I remember being 5 or 6 and getting a commodore 64 lol I was still probably too young and was playing with toy soldiers though.

I did have an appreciation for the USS Flag that my cousin had, but he lived out in the country and hadn't anything else to do. GO JOE!!

20 minutes ago, Kenglo1 said:

It was January 1981 when I stopped reading comics (for the first time).

I stopped later that year. I just happened to look through my collection today and the last comic I bought off the rack was X-Men 152- December 1981. It was probably on the newstand around September of that year which is right when I started high school- 10th grade. I bought three copies of X-Men 150, one I read (many times) and the other two I put in bags. Still have them! Despite never reading them, they are no more than 9.0-9.2 in condition. I don't understand how people have 9.6 and higher comics.

19 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

I stopped later that year. I just happened to look through my collection today and the last comic I bought off the rack was X-Men 152- December 1981. It was probably on the newstand around September of that year which is right when I started high school- 10th grade. I bought three copies of X-Men 150, one I read (many times) and the other two I put in bags. Still have them! Despite never reading them, they are no more than 9.0-9.2 in condition. I don't understand how people have 9.6 and higher comics.

From what I've read, they were very particular about the books they bought from the stand in addition to the care in handling them afterwards. They cherry picked only the very best copies. Kids generally don't have that line of thought. They want nice copies but are not going to pass up a cool book because it isn't minty mint. I recall buying some books myself that were the last available copies on the rack and had some visual damage -- but if you want that book, you buy it. Also-- the amount of books that get delivered back then in 9.6/9.8 shape was fairly rare even if you were first one to pick from the books.