• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Marvel Comics commercial
2 2

23 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

From what I've read, they were very particular about the books they bought from the stand in addition to the care in handling them afterwards. They cherry picked only the very best copies. Kids generally don't have that line of thought. They want nice copies but are not going to pass up a cool book because it isn't minty mint. I recall buying some books myself that were the last available copies on the rack and had some visual damage -- but if you want that book, you buy it. Also-- the amount of books that get delivered back then in 9.6/9.8 shape was fairly rare even if you were first one to pick from the books.

Interesting. Although I cared about the condition of my books I did not go crazy looking for every flaw at the newstand. Back then, Mint condition to me as a teenager really meant anything better than very find today. 

8 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

Interesting. Although I cared about the condition of my books I did not go crazy looking for every flaw at the newstand. Back then, Mint condition to me as a teenager really meant anything better than very find today. 

Yeah I think about the way I handled my comic collection back then and shudder...this was the pre-board era too, so just rifling through the stacks was hell on spines...