• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65-cent Marvel comics

23 posts in this topic

I was reading through the Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread and a few related articles on the Canadian pricing topic, and it occurred to me to ask the question:  How many Marvel titles were listed at 65-cent cover prices and for how long? Didn't most of the books in that time-frame jump from .50 to .60 to.75? hm

1 hour ago, Metarog said:

I believe that most regular sized Marvel comics cover dated April 1985-December 1985 were 65 cents. So it was only for 9 months or so.

9 months . . . not a very long period for a cover price. hm  Considering that Marvel comics were 12 cents from February 1962 through July 1969 (7 years, 5 months); 15 cents from August 1969 through October 1971 (2 years, 2 months);  25 cents in November 1971 (1 month); 20 cents from December 1971 through April 1974 (2 years, 4 months); 25 cents from May 1974 through September 1976 (2 years, 4 months) and so forth.

52 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

The 65¢ price is defined as U.S newsstand copies.  Unrelated to the CDN Price Variants.

And quite a few, if not all U.S. direct copies.  The CDN Price "variants" are  related to the U.S. cover prices as they were more or less set to  account for the exchange rate at the time. 

48 minutes ago, divad said:

And quite a few, if not all U.S. direct copies.  The CDN Price "variants" are  related to the U.S. cover prices as they were more or less set to  account for the exchange rate at the time. 

Yes, that's correct.  I should have said all U.S copies, not just newsstand.

26 minutes ago, ft88 said:

So what is the most valuable 65 cent US Marvel comic?

13 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Great question. hm

there is: New Mutants 26, Web of Spider-man 1, idk how much TMNT was off the shelves, but there doesn't seem to be many with .65 cents with a lot of value in '85

I was at a sales conference when Marvel explained that they were going to do the increase sooner than later, because the next one would be from .75 to $1 and they wanted to delay that as long as possible.  Maybe two years later, they were explaining how the increase to a dollar was going to be a great thing for retailers.  They anticipate no customer resistance and they hoped we would use the increased revenue to upgrade and modernize our shops. 

The increases in the 70s were due to inflation and a huge paper shortage . The increases in the 80s were just greed.  Marvel owners trying to  pump up revenues so they could sell out to a bigger fish.  Of course, a shark ended up noticing things and devoured the company and much of the hobby. 

On 9/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, divad said:

9 months . . . not a very long period for a cover price. hm  Considering that Marvel comics were 12 cents from February 1962 through July 1969 (7 years, 5 months); 15 cents from August 1969 through October 1971 (2 years, 2 months);  25 cents in November 1971 (1 month); 20 cents from December 1971 through April 1974 (2 years, 4 months); 25 cents from May 1974 through September 1976 (2 years, 4 months) and so forth.

Was November of ‘71 a weird month that Marvel put out 15 cent covers, 20 cent covers, and the above mentioned 25 centers?