• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did you dislike Miller's run on Daredevil?

44 posts in this topic

Just now, NoMan said:

wonder if the same thing is gonna happen to the DK Master Race. It's pretty bad. 

Maybe?  I've enjoyed Kubert's art (I think he does a pretty solid "Miller ape").  Certainly doesn't help that it was stretched over many months.   Probably will read better as a trade.  

I never liked the character Stick.  Thought this character was just to cliche and to be such a huge factor in the development of young Matt Murdock (that's never been heard of up until then), seemed way too convenient.  I thought he didn't need to introduce the whole ninja thing either.  He was doing such a great job leveraging grounded villains like Kingpin, Bullseye, and even the Punisher.  I wish he simply stuck to that. 

Never really liked Elektra either.  Miller introduced her with the intention to kill her off later and it showed in my opinion.  Admittedly, later iterations of her was pretty good though.  

Other than that, I thought DD was cutting edge for the time.  I was one of the few that was still buying and reading DD when DD wasn't cool.  It was awesome to see one of my favorite characters finally become relevant.  This was also the first time I've seen J Jonah Jameson portrayed with some respect and not just as comic relief.  

During the mid-to-late 70s I found Daredevil a bit of a chore to read because of some very mediocre stories and artwork, and rarely picked it up when it was distributed to the UK.

Even though he was a new artist, I liked the way he emulated the Kane and Janson figurework from a couple of issues prior to his debut, and also the dark city noir influences from one of my comics icons, Will Eisner.  Very impressive art for someone with so little experience, especially when compared to his earliest DC work.  Also, his Spillane-influenced crime story style was perfect; well, before I got bored of it eventually through decades of repetition.  Still a paradigm for the title, as some of the best-regarded, longest runs are also by other crime comic writers, Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker.

Of all his stories, I'd rate 'Born Again' the highest.

The Visionaries reprint books shown in earlier posts, and the later Omnibus, have excellent remastering, compensating for the dull, semi-transparent newsprint of the originals, really enhancing the artwork.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On September 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM, BishopT said:

I have never heard a single person say anything negative about Miller's run on this title... Born Again is my favorite story in all of Marvel Comics, and the run from #168-#191 is some of my favorite stuff, too.

Somebody posted in another thread just a few weeks ago about how Miller ruined DD, turning Karen into a harlot and all. Not sure where that was, but I can see where Miller's direction would have soured others who grew up with the SA DD.

*that was my 1000th post (:

Edited by Martin Sinescu
it was my 1000th post.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, NoMan said:

I loved it. Think it was the pinnacle of comics. Bought em when I was a kid and it really started a life long love of comics/collecting. I know he wasn't the first to use paneling like film noir, but it was the first I saw (excluding The Master Race.  I read that one)

However, I'm really bored at work and would like to hear the other side of the fence. Why did you hate it?

I hated that it ended.

19 hours ago, CardiacKid1 said:

Yes.  DD 191 was an underrated classic. And it served as a reminder of what we'd be missing every month.

Our guns, too, no longer had any bullets.

My hunt for 9.8 new stands has kinda stalled. One went up to 400$ on HA and I just couldn't continue participating. 

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

No I forget. Um, maybe 164

Yeah, that was me that bought that one.  After 15 years of looking for a perfectly centered newsstand 164 in CGC 9.8 with white pages, that was the first one I've ever seen.  If you're interested in buying or trading for my back-up copy -- the one that has been my "place holder" for all these years -- send me a PM.

19 minutes ago, CardiacKid1 said:

Yeah, that was me that bought that one.  After 15 years of looking for a perfectly centered newsstand 164 in CGC 9.8 with white pages, that was the first one I've ever seen.  If you're interested in buying or trading for my back-up copy -- the one that has been my "place holder" for all these years -- send me a PM.

Well , bidded it up for you a couple of times.  Sorry. :sorry:

i don't understand. You have a back up 164 cgc 9.8 WP?

My Uncle (a Priest), gave me a bunch of comics from that era, including Miller Daredevils.   I remember not liking it much.   Too deep, and way above my pre-teen head.    Wound up taking them to my LCS for some trade credit.  I am now rebuilding that era, wish I would have kept what I had. 

On 9/27/2017 at 1:51 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

For me it was an acquired taste. I wasn't into Miller's DD until I read an article in the Comics Journal. By the time I got into it, it was already up to #170 and I had to scramble around to get back issues. I remember paying $20.00 for #158.

Ha! I paid $35 and it was the first copy I'd ever seen for sale. I, too, came to DD late in the Miller run, but at the point that I thought he was really hitting full speed -- with DD 185. I thought his storytelling over those last few issues was brilliant and far and above anything else on the stands at the time. Those last few issues still stand out as one of my favorite runs of any comic. I ended up buying those last seven issues off the spinner rack and from a drug store newsstand and loved each and every issue. I still have my original copies. The issues before that, however, were hard to track down. I was so glad when the Visionaries trade paperbacks were released in the early 2000s, so I could read everything all over again in just a few sittings. I bought the omnibuses, but they were actually so unwieldy that I sold them (for high premiums at the time because they were the only printings) and bought the newer versions of the Visionaries trade paperbacks.

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

bought the newer versions of the Visionaries trade paperbacks.

DD Visionaries Vol 2 tpb was one of the best bargain buys ever.  I just loaned my copy out to a buddy last week.