• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Global Shipping Program?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever seen this before? I have a package I purchased located in Tampa Florida and for the last 3 days the tracking updates are all the exact same at the exact same hour. They say the package is on it's way to the main shipping hub in Kentucky.

I have never seen this before usually when there is a update it is a new update with a new date and time.

Thanks.

Its most likely the package not moving but when people don't see any status update they begin to worry.  This may be USPS's attempt to alleviate those concerns (every 24 hours if there's no status add the previous with current timestamp) while trying to catch up on deliveries delayed by the hurricane(s).  

Edited by comicquant

6 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Its most likely the package not moving but when people don't see any status update they begin to worry.  This may be USPS's attempt to alleviate those concerns (every 24 hours if there's no status add the previous with current timestamp) while trying to catch up on deliveries delayed by the hurricane(s).  

Makes sens thanks just worried about this item been lost or stolen very rare item I know will be very hard to replace. It's not the money it's all about the item itself.

Simply never happened before (I must have ordered over 500 items with this service if not more over the years) but I guess I never ordered a package a week after a Hurricane. The seller said his post office is up and running. I guess the next post office may be the issue and may not be up and running. What do they do with packages in that case? Are they placed in a secure location till things start moving again?

Edited by SC22

1 hour ago, spreads said:

The Ebay Global Shipping is such a scam, ever since they introduced it my ebay buying plummeted. I refuse to pay duties to Canada on top of very high shipping rates.

I use it with the account that I use to sell jewelry.  To tell the truth, I would not risk selling that type of stuff online without GSP.   I have had customers complain because I refuse to budge with the jewelry but it is not worth the hassle of things going missing.  I have had a few people utilize the GSP on eBay when they buy from me but I am sure that it probably shuts out a lot of international buyers.  However the stuff seems to sell regardless so... 

Opt in, opt out. Your choice (though by default, all US sellers are "in".

Just be aware that the buyer pool shrinks remarkably when the GSP is the offering.

Problem is most (US) sellers do not know they are in it.

Here's an example. This offering has the astonishing shipping price of $US70.75 to me in Oz.

One comic.

I consider the GSP a fraud on an industrial scale, charging non-existent "duties and taxes" and where that's the shipping, I ain't interested.

/rant off

4 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Opt in, opt out. Your choice (though by default, all US sellers are "in".

Just be aware that the buyer pool shrinks remarkably when the GSP is the offering.

Problem is most (US) sellers do not know they are in it.

Here's an example. This offering has the astonishing shipping price of $US70.75 to me in Oz.

One comic.

I consider the GSP a fraud on an industrial scale, charging non-existent "duties and taxes" and where that's the shipping, I ain't interested.

/rant off

+1 couldn't agree more

"though by default, all US sellers are "in"

I  have the option to use the GSP on each individual listing so I don't know what this means.  

One of the hassles that I no longer deal with is buyers requesting  me to lie on customs form.  I never would and then I would get an angry customer when they had to pay taxes.  With a Paypal dispute a click a way and my item overseas I lost 1000's of dollars over the years.  This doesn't happen anymore.  The GSP takes the hit.   That being said I expect changes to come from the GSP, I can't imagine its making money.

I opted out of the GSP and have not had any issues so far.  And I will say the number of International buyers seems to have exploded over the last few weeks.  Not sure if the dollar is dropping but there definitely has been an marked increase.

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I opted out of the GSP and have not had any issues so far.  And I will say the number of International buyers seems to have exploded over the last few weeks.  Not sure if the dollar is dropping but there definitely has been an marked increase.

:golfclap:Smart move. GSP is ridiculous and I refuse to buy from any seller that uses it. Congrats on the uptick in sales.

Thought I would come back and and add to the conversation as to why I use Global Shipping with jewelry.  One of the scams I have become aware of is a buyer purchasing a piece on eBay to wear out or something for an event or two and then return it.  (One person was so foolish as to tell me such).  I personally feel that the GSP offers an added level of protection on things like that.  Now that is an acceptable part of the deal when dealing with clothing or accessories.  US buyers also do that.  However, there are higher shipping fees associated with expedited shipping that I do not want to pay the return shipping on.   I have noticed that by selling jewelry that there are more scams associated with those items than there are with comics.  eBay seems to be more willing to fight for the seller when GSP is utilized.

Today I moved five underperforming pieces over to my regular comics and toys account just to see if the fact that I have had the account longer and have a store will give those listings from juice.  The downside of it is that because I do not utilize GSP on my comics and toys account, I am not making those five pieces available to international sales. 

I use GSP, and I sell more internationally now than I ever did before it came along, and no longer have to worry about items going "missing" overseas, or deal with questions about unusually long shipping times, etc. 

We've had this talk many, many times on the boards, but for me, after 20 years of selling on eBay, nearly all of my problem transactions were international ones, so I stopped selling internationally, period. eBay does not protect sellers, and this is especially true with international transactions. eBay is a hobby for me, not a full time business, and anything that added headaches to a hobby was just not worth it. And international shipping was largely a headache waiting to happen.

GSP came along, and I opted in, and now I sell internationally all of the time. I totally understand that there are buyers who don't like it, and I get that, but for me it was either GSP or no international at all, and it works out great for me. Ship it to Erlanger (and I live in Kentucky, so the shipping is usually dirt cheap for me) and forget about it. It's great. I advise potential buyers in my descriptions to check out the shipping rates and to also understand that I can't combine wins when using GSP, and encourage them to check out GSP for themselves.  I try to be totally upfront about the fact that it's probably going to be expensive. I don't want to trick anyone. But if someone sees the exorbitant rates and still wants to buy my stuff, great. Last night I sold a box of common Superman books via GSP for over $200. There are buyers out there who are willing to pay the prices.

Note: When selling on the boards, I gladly and often ship internationally with no issues whatsoever, because I trust the boards and its users. But I've been burned too many times on eBay, with  its punitive stance towards sellers, to continue selling internationally there. Just want to be clear that there's no weird cultural fears or xenophobia or anything like that going on. I love my international collecting friends! I just have a valid, justified fear of eBay/Paypal yanking my money away from me due to international transactions where nothing can be tracked down or verified.

Just as an FYI to those reading this thread;

As far as I am aware the GSP has been disabled by ebay. It is still in force however if you make a purchase, you will only be charged for shipping, and any customs duties/fees will be levied at zero. As for the reasons why this is being applied now, I don't know.

47 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Just as an FYI to those reading this thread;

As far as I am aware the GSP has been disabled by ebay. It is still in force however if you make a purchase, you will only be charged for shipping, and any customs duties/fees will be levied at zero. As for the reasons why this is being applied now, I don't know.

This is news to me and I can't find any place to confirm it. A link would be helpful.

4 hours ago, Ottobord said:

This is news to me and I can't find any place to confirm it. A link would be helpful.

I'm sorry it's news to you, but it's true. Try buying a book on the GSP. I can't provide a link (because it involves) purchasing a book from the US to UK will confirm it. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:
8 hours ago, Ottobord said:

I'm sorry it's news to you, but it's true. Try buying a book on the GSP. I can't provide a link (because it involves) purchasing a book from the US to UK will confirm it. (thumbsu

I believe it's still part of e-bay's solution and is still available, it's not as obviously stated as it was because e-bay wants this to be the default/standard service for international.  
My example below shows a Canadian shipment and when I change it to UK it shows 0.00 for duty for UK which doesn't mean the 'service' (US seller ships to Ky/consol to UK) doesn't still exist - the 0.00 for duty/tax to the UK just may be proof that they've finally fixed their duty/tax calculation to comics to the UK.  For clarity, I'm in Canada but use e-bay dot com (not my country version) to view that site.

global shipping sample.png

9 hours ago, bababooey said:

I believe it's still part of e-bay's solution and is still available, it's not as obviously stated as it was because e-bay wants this to be the default/standard service for international.  
My example below shows a Canadian shipment and when I change it to UK it shows 0.00 for duty for UK which doesn't mean the 'service' (US seller ships to Ky/consol to UK) doesn't still exist - the 0.00 for duty/tax to the UK just may be proof that they've finally fixed their duty/tax calculation to comics to the UK.  For clarity, I'm in Canada but use e-bay dot com (not my country version) to view that site.

global shipping sample.png

If you read my post, I actually said it was still in force but that duties were now levied at zero, so essentially exactly what you have just said.