• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Global Shipping Program?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, greggy said:

:foryou:

And for the record, I'm happy to ship to board members anywhere in the world (especially Greggy, whom I missed in Baltimore :sorry:).  Generally speaking, I think the boards host a higher class of collectors than ebay.  I've shipped internationally on the boards plenty of times with no issue.  On ebay, it's just too much of a gamble.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Again, not agreeing with/liking a law doesn't negate the fact that it is a law.  Falsifying customs for IS mail fraud and IS illegal.  No overreaction, just stating a fact. 

Customers asking me to willfully break the law so they can save some money doesn't resonate with me.  It tells me that they are comfortable with using shady business practices just as I'm about to commence a business transaction with them.  Who knows what else they're comfortable with doing?  Shilling?  Book swapping?  Returning a box of German newspapers?  The fact that the buyer assumes zero risk in the endeavor just rubs salt in the wound. 

You asked why sellers get offended by this practice.  I'm just letting you know my reason.

I don't think your examples are apples-to-apples at all, the GSP was not initiated to target these issues/problems.  Ebay and Paypal have protection policies in place for shilling, feedback etc.  The simple fact is the buyer doesn't want to (in some instances) pay double the shipping charge for essentially the same service for what is pretty-much a money-making scam by Ebay.  Again, using my example above the laws on customs values are fairly arbitrary, they're being revised/negotiated as we speak. 

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I don't think your examples are apples-to-apples at all, the GSP was not initiated to target these issues/problems.  Ebay and Paypal have protection policies in place for shilling, feedback etc.  The simple fact is the buyer doesn't want to (in some instances) pay double the shipping charge for essentially the same service for what is pretty-much a money-making scam by Ebay.  Again, using my example above the laws on customs values are fairly arbitrary, they're being revised/negotiated as we speak. 

You're missing my point about shilling and other shady practices.  I never said GSP was meant to address these other issues, just that someone who in engages in some dubious business practices might be likely to dabble in others. 

And if you don't like the "money-making scam" that you think Ebay is perpetrating, then don't use them.  Just don't ask me to break the law because you don't agree with a company's business model. 

From what I can tell the only way ebay is making more money it's because there are more foreign sales, it isn't because they're charging more for shipping.  As a seller I collect shipping from the buyer for what it costs to send the item to the Shipping Center (Kentucky), but sometimes I'm able to see what my  buyer was charged for shipping from the center to their destination and I have yet to see an amount that wasn't close to what I would have charged.  In fact I know that the Shipping Centers at times repackage items for safer shipping overseas, I don't believe they charge extra for this. 

So  the extra I see is the extra shipping that has to be paid to the shipping center.  That is if free shipping isn't offered.

For the record, I'm not talking about just comic sales.  I can see how it doesn't make sense to use the GSP for low value comics

33 minutes ago, Turtle said:

You're missing my point about shilling and other shady practices.  I never said GSP was meant to address these other issues, just that someone who in engages in some dubious business practices might be likely to dabble in others. 

And if you don't like the "money-making scam" that you think Ebay is perpetrating, then don't use them.  Just don't ask me to break the law because you don't agree with a company's business model. 

I haven't been using it, that was my first contribution in this thread "ebay buying has plummeted".   It's not your country's laws that are being 'broken', but anyways this argument has reached it's finale.

On 2017-09-28 at 11:09 AM, Turtle said:

I won't speak for anyone else, but it offends me when foreign buyers ask me to mark an item as a gift because they are effectively asking me to falsify federal documents and commit mail fraud just so they can save some money.  If a buyer asks for an item to be marked as a gift, the seller is assuming all the risk with no risk/consequences to the buyer.  I print my labels through Ebay, so there's an easy-to-follow "paper trail" that shows unequivocally that the transaction is not a gift. .   

Hello Turtle, I wanted to say something. I get you. Completely agreed with you about the "checking off as a gift" thing. No question at all. I had this thrown at me when I used to be a seller on eBay. Foreigners as bad in asking that question to you? Well, I find Americans is no different than that. They actually asked me that one. Naturally I wouldn't do that either. The law is the law.

Let's put that topic aside please, shall we? It had been discussed finished done. 

The GSP program is not about sellers in eBay (like you or anyone). There is no blame to sellers in how sellers choose to use shipping methods. Here, this subject is about the GSP program as itself, clear? This program has some negative issues to buyers.

For the record, I had gotten two packages delivered by GSP. One come without charging me extra fees (great!) , however the other parcel come with extra fees. This latter is bad as I had to pay twice on customs.  Yes, you read me right. Twice!! I had paid to GSP thru eBay already. Then this box come in and asked me to pay the duites. I called to customer service about that. Told Canada post I did paid thru GSP. They said they didn't see any paperwork that I did (they will not look in eBay invoice online). Thus, I ended up paying to them ... customs again. 

From that day, I will never let that happen on me. I avoid GSP - period.  Why should I pay customs twice? Ridiculous! 

So, it is what the international buyers are having the problem. Higher customs duites ... if going thru GSP program. EBay knew that but do nothing.  I look at GSP as much simlair with UPS, FEDEX or courier services ... they all often use the tactic to double up on customs fees!  Sure, I do get one package without fees from GSP but is not 100% positive.

in closing, GSP is great for sellers - bravo for you. Not really great for international buyers!  

I'd rather buy comics here on boards. I love it here :x

11 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Hello Turtle, I wanted to say something. I get you. Completely agreed with you about the "checking off as a gift" thing. No question at all. I had this thrown at me when I used to be a seller on eBay. Foreigners as bad in asking that question to you? Well, I find Americans is no different than that. They actually asked me that one. Naturally I wouldn't do that either. The law is the law.

Let's put that topic aside please, shall we? It had been discussed finished done. 

The GSP program is not about sellers in eBay (like you or anyone). There is no blame to sellers in how sellers choose to use shipping methods. Here, this subject is about the GSP program as itself, clear? This program has some negative issues to buyers.

For the record, I had gotten two packages delivered by GSP. One come without charging me extra fees (great!) , however the other parcel come with extra fees. This latter is bad as I had to pay twice on customs.  Yes, you read me right. Twice!! I had paid to GSP thru eBay already. Then this box come in and asked me to pay the duites. I called to customer service about that. Told Canada post I did paid thru GSP. They said they didn't see any paperwork that I did (they will not look in eBay invoice online). Thus, I ended up paying to them ... customs again. 

From that day, I will never let that happen on me. I avoid GSP - period.  Why should I pay customs twice? Ridiculous! 

So, it is what the international buyers are having the problem. Higher customs duites ... if going thru GSP program. EBay knew that but do nothing.  I look at GSP as much simlair with UPS, FEDEX or courier services ... they all often use the tactic to double up on customs fees!  Sure, I do get one package without fees from GSP but is not 100% positive.

in closing, GSP is great for sellers - bravo for you. Not really great for international buyers!  

I'd rather buy comics here on boards. I love it here :x

No arguments here.  GSP is great for sellers and bad for buyers (honestly, one of the only things on ebay that favors sellers more than buyers lol ).  And if I'm going to do business internationally, I'd prefer to do it here on the boards.  Really great people here. 

When I see a comic that I am interested in buying but the seller uses the GSP, I hit the back button immediately.

In my experience with the GSP, once I've overpaid on the two shipping charges, I've had this GSP "Shipping Hub" in Kentucky send me a box of comics to me in Canada where it is dropped off on my sundeck in the pouring rain with no signature required, nobody home. I've also had items arrive damaged using the GSP.

All other non-GSP shipments arrive through Canada Post at my local Post Office where all my incoming comic book purchases should arrive.

So I'm done with the GSP as a Canadian buyer, simply not worth it for me.

Edited by CAMPER49

On 29/09/2017 at 3:01 AM, Ottobord said:

Just curious why doesn't the UK tax comics? I can understand the current periodicals but back issues that are collected seems strange that they are exempt.

There are many things that are exempt from customs duties, a whole list of stuff. Used reading material aka' used books' is one of them. This is the category used comic books fall into. 

I have changed my mind.  After a couple of recent incidents from international buyers... I am all in.

On the negative side of things, it will cost buyers outside the United States more to purchase an item from me.

On the positive side of things, it opens up a new door and now every item I sell will be made available on the international market.  Before this, only select lower value items were available on the international market.  Now everything will be made available. 

Edited by Buzzetta

An update...

I have sold more items internationally with the Global Shipping Program.  This is even taking into account that I had lower value ones that I previously mentioned were always available internationally.  Since I switched over from offering regular international shipping to eBay's GSP I have noticed that I am sending more things than usual to Kentucky.  This leads me to believe that the following MAY be true.

• Buyers on eBay have more confidence in a Seller using the GSP as they may feel eBay acts as an additional layer of protection.
  • eBay may promote listings offering GSP in their searches by having it listed more prominently in their best search.

I know that from the buyers standpoint on here that the GSP is not a popular part of eBay.  However, I have seen many upsides to it as a seller and I am using eBay as a means to sell off many more things than just comics.  I have found it a valuable tool in selling jewelry and every piece that I have sold internationally has reached it's buyer without a hitch.  

I'll share my experience as a buyer.  I buy those little eaglemoss statues from UK as a US buyer.  Ask the seller about combined shipping rates if I were to buy 9 of these figures.  They calculate the cost and it would be something like $25 US equivalent.  They forgot to uncheck the GSP so when the seller tries sending me an invoice, there is no option for them to adjust shipping price at all.  There is also no way to combine items on the same invoice!  GSP wanted over $100 for 9 separate items.  The story still has a happy ending but I certainly did not and will not ever use GSP as a buyer.

Edited by 90sChild

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

An update...

I have sold more items internationally with the Global Shipping Program.  This is even taking into account that I had lower value ones that I previously mentioned were always available internationally.  Since I switched over from offering regular international shipping to eBay's GSP I have noticed that I am sending more things than usual to Kentucky.  This leads me to believe that the following MAY be true.

• Buyers on eBay have more confidence in a Seller using the GSP as they may feel eBay acts as an additional layer of protection.
  • eBay may promote listings offering GSP in their searches by having it listed more prominently in their best search.

I know that from the buyers standpoint on here that the GSP is not a popular part of eBay.  However, I have seen many upsides to it as a seller and I am using eBay as a means to sell off many more things than just comics.  I have found it a valuable tool in selling jewelry and every piece that I have sold internationally has reached it's buyer without a hitch.  

Having eBay's GSP hub located here in Kentucky (they're in Erlanger, which is fairly close to Cinci; I'm in Louisville) is terrific because I am selling much more via international, but since I only have to ship it a few counties over, the shipping cost to me is very, very small. 

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

An update...

I agree, I know alot of buyers don't like this however any international sales I make via eBay I use the GSP.  For boardie purchases I have no problem sending international directly and luckily have not had any issues.

On 2017-09-24 at 12:03 PM, Patriot6 said:

:golfclap:Smart move. GSP is ridiculous and I refuse to buy from any seller that uses it. Congrats on the uptick in sales.

Couldn't agree more.  I just walk away from any US seller that knowingly or unknowingly uses this scam.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Couldn't agree more.  I just walk away from any US seller that knowingly or unknowingly uses this scam.

I can live with that. (shrug)  I have had no problems with international buyers since using the service and sales have increased.  So if I lose one buyer but gain five more, then I can live with that. 

The program is a total “legal” scam. But eBay, being the multinational biggest auction company on the web, can do pretty much whatever they want, including scamming customers.

All the things wrong with it:

The program forces us to pay twice for shipping. Although I must admit I do see some items with lower GSP shipping popping up once and a while in comparison with the direct shipping of sellers not using it. Still exceptional.

The worst new thing they do is not adding the tax before you buy. Now you have to buy and then the tax is added to the total. No possibility to opt out anymore. In Belgium this is illegal. Tax needs to be added on all final prices on all items on the ticket. (So not at the counter like in the USA). You need to be given the full total before you buy it. With the new set up in the GSP this is no longer visible. Although you can do some calculations yourself, it isn't always accurate. Ebay is selling in Belgium, so by Belgian law they should show the total including all tax charges.

They add 21% tax on anything, even if the tax on books for example should be 6% (books, not comic books, they are 21% tax). “Legal” theft in my books. On top of that you have another import processing charge. At the end of the ride we pay about 40% more then sold on eBay. There is also a minimum where tax is not added (I think items under $50), but eBay again does add it, even if they shouldn't.

And I'm sorry if one asks for send it as gift. But if a book of a $100 after postage and taxes becomes a $180 book, it is normal people ask this. No, you don't have to do this if you don't want to but you can't get upset people asking it to save $40 or so. And really, adding gift on a package is not going to get you to burn in hell. I am pretty sure of that. Or will not get you in prison, or get fined, or anything else like that. I think jaywalking is a bigger crime then that. :nyah:.... But again, nobody can force you to say yes if they ask. Just don't get upset about it when buyers do ask you.

Not our fault we are born in the wrong bloody country.... (Well at least I think I am born in the wrong country)

I still buy on eBay but try to avoid the “legal” scam GSP program if I can.

I use GSP mostly to protect myself from paying a crazy high return shipping cost.  I sell most of my OOP omnibus books to Europe and they seem to sell faster than I can list them.  Sorry if you guys get stuck paying more via Ebay.  I will however ship off ebay to anywhere in the world at cost, but even then to protect myself I only accept friends and family payment.  I haven't had any issues or complaints yet.