• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1 8.0 CONSERVED

38 posts in this topic

This auction really intrigues me:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=738730

I believe this is Action 1 that last sold at Sotheby's in 1995 (the same auction as the color guide also being auctioned as part of this "Hidden Valley" collection).  Back then it was graded as OWL paper of 8.5 to 9 and was noted as having "minimal restoration done at the staple holes" and cover "dry cleaned and pressed." It is now in a CONSERVED holder denoted as an Action 1 8.0 (C).  CC states: "tear seal to cover, spine split sealed to cover, cover cleaned."  

I'm aware of a 9.4 Action 2 (C) selling on CC for $94K.  I don't know of any Conserved books cracking $100K.  This will exceed $100K, as CC previously sold an Action 1 7.0 MP (John Wise collection) for $172K in 2014, and this should top that by a decent margin.  This should become the benchmark for the price paid for a Conserved book.  It will be really interesting to see how the new holder performs.

Predictions?

53 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

This auction really intrigues me:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=738730

I believe this is Action 1 that last sold at Sotheby's in 1995 (the same auction as the color guide also being auctioned as part of this "Hidden Valley" collection).  Back then it was graded as OWL paper of 8.5 to 9 and was noted as having "minimal restoration done at the staple holes" and cover "dry cleaned and pressed." It is now in a CONSERVED holder denoted as an Action 1 8.0 (C).  CC states: "tear seal to cover, spine split sealed to cover, cover cleaned."  

I'm aware of a 9.4 Action 2 (C) selling on CC for $94K.  I don't know of any Conserved books cracking $100K.  This will exceed $100K, as CC previously sold an Action 1 7.0 MP (John Wise collection) for $172K in 2014, and this should top that by a decent margin.  This should become the benchmark for the price paid for a Conserved book.  It will be really interesting to see how the new holder performs.

Predictions?

An AC1 5.5 Conserved sold in the last CC event auction for 393K..so sky the limit.

3 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

An AC1 5.5 Conserved sold in the last CC event auction for 393K..so sky the limit.

yeah that too. So we're looking at 650-800K for the 8.0 imo

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:
5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I believe the cbcs Tec 27 9.6 sold for 300-400k privately.

It's a 9.6 super restored...and is it a confirmed sale?

The Meyers no longer have it. Pretty sure the sale went through.

IGB Tec 27.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

My point is a book not super restored would do better.

Definitely. Would wager a bet the 9.6 would perhaps not even hit 250K if it went to auction today.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I was way too high on my AS 8 9.4 prediction so I'll tone it down for this one and say ... 475k... don't see a conserved/restored copy in any grade sniffing what the blue label 5.5 got on heritage a year or so ago.

will admit I don't have the historical knowledge you guys that have been watching these for years or decades do, and I know it's special because it's action 1, but is there really that much of a premium to be expected for a conserved copy that's an 8.0 vs a 5.5? I would guess not. To me it's like the difference between a 2.0 and a 2.5.

Edited by szavisca

Several of us have a pretty good track record for guessing final hammers and the Conserved 8.0 will likely fall in that range (650-800), if not slightly higher. It'll probably hit 350-400K just the first week of auction.

Edited by Gotham Kid

23 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Several of us have a pretty good track record for guessing final hammers

I'm not one of those.

But, I will say this.  If the Action 1 8.0 (C) hits $800K, then the Action 1 PGX 9.0 (R), which is a better looking book with the same type of, but much less, work done, is now a $1 million book or close.  And folks were laughing at the notion that could have ever happened back when it was put on eBay.  Times change if true.   

It will be interesting to see how the post-Harriri Action 1 market does.

Edited by sfcityduck

Is this the same copy that Carbo's been carrying around to cons for the past couple of years? hm

Edited to add: Never mind.  I found a photo I took of that one and it's a Conserved 7.0.

Edited by Sqeggs

20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is this the same copy that Carbo's been carrying around to cons for the past couple of years? hm

Edited to add: Never mind.  I found a photo I took of that one and it's a Conserved 7.0.

I think your saying that the 7.0 conserved could not be upgraded to a 8.0 :baiting:I will say there are 10x as many Action 1's for sale last few years than Tec 27 what's up with that hm