• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTMENT COLLECTIBLES does it again!!

145 posts in this topic

I understand your point but some collectors, myself included, have changed their buying habits in response to pressing in the hobby. Am I making a difference? Probably not...but I feel a whole lot better about myself and collecting in general due to the changes I've made...

Jim

I have to second this. In fact, the whole pressing debate was one of several major factors that motivated me to sell almost all of my HG bronze slabs. Just too risky, especially if CGC is going to be doing in-house pressing. Once it's that much easier to get a 9.2/9.4/9.6, the census should swell and the books could tank, or at least diminish severely. So I cashed out my graded bronze.

My whole point is, if pro pressing is so hard to detect, how can we avoid these books even if we want to? Or to make it simple, how do you avoid undetectable restoration? If every collector in the world changed their buying habits because of this, what exactly would that do? I'm usually an optimist, but I see this as a losing battle. As I see it, the ONLY thing we can do is to completely avoid ALL books from dealers whom we can PROVE have sold undisclosed pressed books. Other than that, everything is the same and will not change no matter how many phantoms we think we see and avoid.

Sid, you're right, on an individual book-by-book basis, it will be durned near impossible to definitively determine what's been pressed and what hasn't been. However, if we see a significant swell in silver and bronze HG material coinciding with the advent of a CGC in-house pressing service, then we can safely surmise that pressing is causing an increase an supply. CGC comics are still a small percentage of the overall number of comics that get traded, so an increase in supply is just too risky IMO.

And it wouldn't even take too huge of an increase to make a serious impact. Let's say you've got 7 slabbed 9.4s of a cool issue of witching hour. Two years later, you've got twenty 9.4s on the census for the same issue. That's only 13 books more, but the value realized on each copy could be cut in half. The marketplace just isn't that big.

So that's largely why I've dumped my HG bronze slabs (a few other factors do come into play here, but the pressing issue is a biggie for me). Too much risk.

And that's why I won't be buying anymore (unless you've got an Adventure #432 in CGC 9.4 or 9.6...for the right price, I'll buy it even if it is pressed!)

And it wouldn't even take too huge of an increase to make a serious impact. Let's say you've got 7 slabbed 9.4s of a cool issue of witching hour. Two years later, you've got twenty 9.4s on the census for the same issue. That's only 13 books more, but the value realized on each copy could be cut in half. The marketplace just isn't that big.

This is going to happen even without pressed books. Lots of ungraded Broze out there.

This is going to happen even without pressed books. Lots of ungraded Broze out there.

Sure, but then imagine the supply WITH pressing. As Keanu Reeves would say,, "Whoa!"

One way or another, every year, even every month that goes on by, the census numbers are going to grow. Especially for Bronze, each year the books get older you will see more interest in getting them submitted. If anyone is in fear of the values going down just due to the census numbers growing, then there is a very real fear to worry. However, it is only speculation to believe the values will go down due to higher census numbers. I also believe that each year that goes by there will be more and more collectors wanting slabbed books. Many collectors don't even really know what CGC or a slabbed book is yet, or at least don't care, for now.

Sure, but then imagine the supply WITH pressing. As Keanu Reeves would say,, "Whoa!"

One way or another, every year, even every month that goes on by, the census numbers are going to grow. Especially for Bronze, each year the books get older you will see more interest in getting them submitted. If anyone is in fear of the values going down just due to the census numbers growing, then there is a very real fear to worry. However, it is only speculation to believe the values will go down due to higher census numbers. I also believe that each year that goes by there will be more and more collectors wanting slabbed books. Many collectors don't even really know what CGC or a slabbed book is yet, or at least don't care, for now.

I couldn't agree more. thumbsup2.gif

I agree 100%! CGC brings more people into this hobby then the census can and will effect. I have literally brought over 15-20 new collectors into this hobby alone thanks to CGC! It is a god send for this hobby! I don't mind paying multiples for books I know are not restored and in the condition I want-neither do the other high end collectors I socialize with!

Again-there is the future-the real deal! There is no bubble-its been five years now and still going strong....more and more people are coming into it with big money to spend...

I agree 100%! CGC brings more people into this hobby then the census can and will effect. I have literally brought over 15-20 new collectors into this hobby alone thanks to CGC! It is a god send for this hobby! I don't mind paying multiples for books I know are not restored and in the condition I want-neither do the other high end collectors I socialize with!

Again-there is the future-the real deal! There is no bubble-its been five years now and still going strong....more and more people are coming into it with big money to spend...

I really hope you're right, but I'm somewhat less optimistic. I simply cannot believe that "there is no bubble." Call it my cynical nature. Don't got me wrong, I am not bashing CGC here, as I agree with you that they have done a lot of good for this hobby. And as a small-time seller, I have made some very nice sales and trades on my CGC-graded books, so of course I'm very happy about that. Furthermore, I'd be very hesitant to buy a $1000+ goldenage book that wasn't CGC graded unless it was bought from one of the mainstay dealers in the hobby. And even then I might be a little antsy about the transaction.

But I don't think that means that the emperor has no bubble, and it doesn't mean that the bubble couldn't easily burst if it's too heavily strained by an influx of supply.

You also have to remember that increased census numbers don't always necessitate new collectors to soak up those copies. Some of those increased numbers are simply collectors having their raw books slabbed, not to sell, but just to go back into their collection. This is certainly the case with the vast majority of books that I submit.

I couldn't agree more. thumbsup2.gif

Sid and Jeff, there's no opportunity for me to even jump in, because I'm finding myself agreeing with everything that both of you are saying. Collectors who think that the number of HG copies of SA and BA is going to increase primarily because of pressing are deluding themselves.

I guess I'm missing references to the pressing matter and this company. Anyone care to enlighten the clueless one?

I don't think any connection has ever been discussed on these boards.

I thought putting " does it again" in the subject title was Comgeek poking fun at the topic. confused-smiley-013.gif

Collectors who think that the number of HG copies of SA and BA is going to increase primarily because of pressing are deluding themselves.

You really think I'm deluding myself? That seems a bit much. You think that if CGC offers in-house pressing that will have no effect on the longterm prices realized for silver and bronze in highgrade? (I would argue that there is a little less concern with highgrade gold, because there are far fewer books to go around). I really can't see how you think I have my head stuck in the sand on this issue.