• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTMENT COLLECTIBLES does it again!!

145 posts in this topic

Hmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not enough people care....so I'm not going to care either

Am I understanding your stance correctly? confused-smiley-013.gif

Argh. Where did I suggest that I was following the "I don't care" crowd like a sheep? I have read ALL the opinions about this issue, and made an informed opinion that pressing is harmless, and a process that I'm comfortable with.

In saying that, I am not trying to negate or dispute anyone else's opinion, but simply stating my own.

More importantly, the discussion in this thread(at least the discussion between myself and Esquire, and myself and Oldguy), was not about whether pressing is good or bad, or who is right or wrong, or even what side I take on the issue. It was an exploration of the roadblocks to full disclosure that currently exist. Mainly, that those on both sides of the aisle(those against pressing, and those comfortable with the process) have not changed their buying habits in response to the controversy, so sellers have no motivation to change.

I gotta be honest, after what I thought was a fairly thoughtful conversation, to have you flippantly ask if my stance is "not enough people care, so I'm not going to care either", is pretty insulting.

It was not my intention to insult you...and for that I apologize. flowerred.gif

I think there are 2 camps right now. Those that have opted to accept pressing, and those that refuse to accept the practice on principal .

There's a fine line between being a defeatist and a realist. It seems that the 2 camps are struggling with the distinction.

Here's a blurb I googled:

The term defeatist has many close cousins: empty cynic, disputer of difficulties, etc. These are all pejorative terms: one shouldn't hurl them about at those who are merely pessimistic due to reasonable doubt. As a case in point, I am not from any standpoint acting defeatist when I tell myself that I cannot pole-vault ten feet through the air; nor am I arguing the difficulties when I claim that ten feet allows too much space for me to come crashing to the ground. I'm being realistic, granted the withered state of my calf muscles and my less than stellar level of coordination. This is self-evident. Now suppose I began to work out, relentlessly, to the point where my calf muscles merited the nicknames Thunder and Lightning. If I prudently re-analyzed my situation and came to the same pessimistic conclusion -- that my vault was doomed to crack bones -- I would still not be defeatist. Yet I would be defeatist if, in a huff of negativity, I failed to even acknowledge the presence of my renewed calves. That is, the moment I close my eyes -- knowingly or not -- to any progress of significant dimension, defeatism takes hold.

(The aside "knowingly or not" requires elaboration: in the former case, I take notice of my calves and entirely disregard them -- they do not enter into any equation determining the success of my pole vault. This is a defeatist disregard of progress. In the latter case, I do not notice my calves at all. That an aspect of such significance escapes my vision entirely indicates a departure from reality. Again, defeatism.)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think there are 2 camps right now. Those that have opted to accept pressing, and those that refuse to accept the practice on principal .

There's a fine line between being a defeatist and a realist. It seems that the 2 camps are struggling with the distinction.

I agree with your first point 100%.

As for the second, are you saying that there are defeatists and realists in both camps, or are you suggesting that one camp are defeatists and the other realists?

I have a hard time putting myself in either category. I certainly don't think of myself as a defeatist. Perhaps I'm a realist, but there's a hit of surrender to that term that I don't like. I don't believe my acceptance of pressing is simply surrendering to the reality that the pratice is here and not going away. On a simpler level, it's just an inexplicable, gut feeling that there's nothing wrong with the process. Some people don't mind date stamps, some people don't mind cream pages. some people don't mind miswraps. I don't mind pressing.

I agree with your first point 100%.

As for the second, are you saying that there are defeatists and realists in both camps, or are you suggesting that one camp are defeatists and the other realists?

I think individuals from both camps have been forced to re-evaluate their mindset. The debate about pressing has become nothing more than an exercise in futility....and I'm sure I'm not the only one that has tired of the debate.

I have a hard time putting myself in either category. I certainly don't think of myself as a defeatist. Perhaps I'm a realist, but there's a hit of surrender to that term that I don't like. I don't believe my acceptance of pressing is simply surrendering to the reality that the pratice is here and not going away. On a simpler level, it's just an inexplicable, gut feeling that there's nothing wrong with the process. Some people don't mind date stamps, some people don't mind cream pages. some people don't mind miswraps. I don't mind pressing.

Excellent post. thumbsup2.gif

Are you calling me unprincipled ? sumo.gif I'm insulted!!! Why you ... 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifdevil.gifpoke2.gif

Are you calling me unprincipled ? sumo.gif I'm insulted!!! Why you ... 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifdevil.gifpoke2.gif

I've called you worse.... gossip.gif

poke2.gif