• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what should Stan sign
2 2

31 posts in this topic

i recently met stan for the first time in Megacon 2017 Orlando and thought he would never come back to florida yet he is making a final florida appearance to support hurricane Irma funds i bought a special package that entitles me to a Q&A, selfie, and private signing with Stan with one autograph, but i need help on what i should get him to sign, should i get him to sign 

A. a 16x24 photo of me and stan as a photo op and since its a private signing probabley ask him to write something extra like "excelsior!" 

B. a Steve Ditko signed letter i received many years ago where he sent me a dedicated letter, (i do feel that stan might ruin the letter)

(p.s this is for my persanal collection and even though i know the photo op wont be worth anything it will be worth soemthing for me.)

I don't know your personal views between A&B, or if a CGC witness is not part of the package and maybe you don't want a signed comic.....

I've noticed at Fan Expo's with photo-op's, the photo usually turns out quite nice. If it is a Steve Ditko letter, idk how that would turn out, or if it would spark a conversation between you and Stan whether good or bad.

Personally A&B sound like a personal preference of yours that I think that you should decide lol all that said "I" would choose the photo

13 minutes ago, Aliens said:

i recently met stan for the first time in Megacon 2017 Orlando and thought he would never come back to florida yet he is making a final florida appearance to support hurricane Irma funds i bought a special package that entitles me to a Q&A, selfie, and private signing with Stan with one autograph, but i need help on what i should get him to sign, should i get him to sign 

A. a 16x24 photo of me and stan as a photo op and since its a private signing probabley ask him to write something extra like "excelsior!" 

B. a Steve Ditko signed letter i received many years ago where he sent me a dedicated letter, (i do feel that stan might ruin the letter)

(p.s this is for my persanal collection and even though i know the photo op wont be worth anything it will be worth soemthing for me.)

A. He won't write Excelsior for you. He might do To Aliens

B. Stan's autograph is terrible looking now and in the last year he has been notorious of signing over other people's autographs. So he might just sign over Steve Ditko's autograph just saying.

Your best off getting a comic he actually worked on like a Captain America #3 and having him sign it or a book he is on the cover of than getting it slabbed.

Did the package mention whether or not a cgc witness would be available? It really comes down to what your comfortable with :)

Interesting that he is doing Irma relief, perhaps he'd come to Texas as well :wishluck: 

Good for Stan for stepping up

Stick with the photo.   I personally am not going near him this go around, and it's a shame, since this is the closest he has ever come to my neighborhood.   The last Megacon Orlando soured any future Stan Lee signings for me.  I'm done.   Out.  Not gonna do it.  No mas. 

thanks for the responses i do have other ASM keys which would be cool signed like issue 5, and 14 (first green goblin) but i want something signed for me, not to ever sell just to have always for me. anyways i got this beauty signed last year at megacon, it is my only SS Stan sig book and i'm ok with just the one,

IMG_3881.PNG.017be62b8018a59713484a5761ddb90c.png

Edited by Aliens

8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Stick with the photo.   I personally am not going near him this go around, and it's a shame, since this is the closest he has ever come to my neighborhood.   The last Megacon Orlando soured any future Stan Lee signings for me.  I'm done.   Out.  Not gonna do it.  No mas. 

Wow. Sounds like something serious happened...hm

7 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Wow. Sounds like something serious happened...hm

Nah, nothing like that.  I posted in another forum, the asinine way they set the lines up for his sig.   A basic ticket for one signature cost like $120, and anybody with his special VIP package got to jump the line.  Well, the basic ticket holders got to stand in line (pretty much in one place, on a concrete floor mind you), for over 4 hours, while special VIP's just kept filtering in ahead of everybody.   Not even an attempt to work in the regular ticket schleps.  You get what you pay for I guess, but when $120 doesn't mean jack squat for a signature, I don't want to be a part of that cattle call anymore.   It ruined the rest of my day, because my back hurt, and I was exhausted.  I left with several hundred dollars in my wallet, because I didn't even want to shop, I just wanted to go home and chill. 

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Gotcha. That sucks! Sorry. I’ve not had the opportunity to meet Stan in person. Good to know though. 

It has gotten pretty impersonal too.   I've stood in his line 3x at 3 different CONS, and each one has gotten worse.  His handlers pass him his stuff, no photos of him signing or you even near him, and don't dare try to start a conversation, you get shuffled off pretty quick.  Kind of sad what it has turned into.  I'm not even sure Stan understands what is going on, he is just told to sit and sign. 

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

It has gotten pretty impersonal too.   I've stood in his line 3x at 3 different CONS, and each one has gotten worse.  His handlers pass him his stuff, no photos of him signing or you even near him, and don't dare try to start a conversation, you get shuffled off pretty quick.  Kind of sad what it has turned into.  I'm not even sure Stan understands what is going on, he is just told to sit and sign. 

Yes I understand, but they have to do this for safety reasons 

2 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Go with getting a signed comic. Your family will have a difficult time  selling a signed photograph of yourself with him

its not to sell its for me to keep, the ditko letter would also be for me to keep even though the letters value would be a good investment i mean i dont think i've ever seen ditko, lee signatures on one thing before

Edited by Aliens

16 minutes ago, Aliens said:

its not to sell its for me to keep, the ditko letter would also be for me to keep even though the letters value would be a good investment i mean i dont think i've ever seen ditko, lee signatures on one thing before

Just because something is scarce doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of people will want it.

Take, say, an ordinary piece of paper with Lee and Ditko and even Kirby's signature on it - it has no value except to a signature collector.  Perhaps if they all signed on a staff picture from Bullpen Bulletin that might mean something to more than a few people, but I'm not sure a Ditko letter signed by anyone other Steve Ditko himself would hold any value to very many people.  [I understand that all you need is one other person who wants it, but even with the webz that person isn't always easy to find.]

But I'm with you all the way on getting Lee to sign a personal item, for the value of the memory to you personally.

Edited by grebal

15 minutes ago, grebal said:

Just because something is scarce doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of people will want it.

Take, say, an ordinary piece of paper with Lee and Ditko and even Kirby's signature on it - it has no value except to a signature collector.  Perhaps if they all signed on a staff picture from Bullpen Bulletin that might mean something to more than a few people, but I'm not sure a Ditko letter signed by anyone other Steve Ditko himself would hold any value to very many people.  [I understand that all you need is one other person who wants it, but even with the webz that person isn't always easy to find.]

But I'm with you all the way on getting Lee to sign a personal item, for the value of the memory to you personally.

agreed