• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Theft in Ontario Canada
6 6

113 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2017 at 11:06 AM, spreads said:

I understand there's probably a pending legislation so few details can't be shared, but are there some takeaways you can offer to prevent this from happening to one of us? 

1: Insurance

2: Camera coverage

3: keep the valuable ones hidden

4: Lock them up

none of these is perfect - but all will help minimize the risk of theft as well as give you a chance at recovery/replacement if things are stolen.

local to me - comix4less (another thread) had a safe stolen ( or broken in to ) - in their warehouse - so nothing is really perfect.....

Nothing really to report right now.  Police are still working away :wishluck: 

Insurance is a pain (for us here in the North), they don't have a company like Collect Insure etc.

Cameras were used

The valuable ones were hidden (locked in a cabinet), going forward nothing of significant value will be kept on premise.

We want to thank everyone thus far, we've had members checking books when they come across them, we've had a ton of guys throw this information to their local guys.  One positive is that the good apples are great.

5 minutes ago, W16227 said:

1: Insurance

2: Camera coverage

3: keep the valuable ones hidden

4: Lock them up

none of these is perfect - but all will help minimize the risk of theft as well as give you a chance at recovery/replacement if things are stolen.

local to me - comix4less (another thread) had a safe stolen ( or broken in to ) - in their warehouse - so nothing is really perfect.....

Bank vault for expensive books I can't remember if there has ever even been a bank vault safety deposit box robbery in my whole life time. Probably not.....just in movies.

17 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Bank vault for expensive books I can't remember if there has ever even been a bank vault safety deposit box robbery in my whole life time. Probably not.....just in movies.

ya - just make sure your research and read the contract. I saw a news report recently and sometimes the wording leaves you screwed in the event of water damage or other nonpredictable events - so you might need an extra insurance rider for that.

and they do get robbed...

http://www.newsweek.com/robbing-banks-blowtorches-safe-deposit-boxes-are-not-so-safe-484224

28 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Incorrect. Bank Safe Deposit boxes get broken into. In Northern California and NYC. To lazy to google it for you. Give it a search and begin your panic. 

2 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Ironically just this year some people tried to steal the bank's ATM by hooking it up with chains to the back of a pickup truck...they didn't get very far but they attempted.

The wrong tool for the job.  Heck, I would take my log skidder and hitch onto the whole bank.  :kidaround:

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Incorrect. Bank Safe Deposit boxes get broken into. In Northern California and NYC. To lazy to google it for you. Give it a search and begin your panic. 

Hahahaha bring out the tin hats!!

I don't know about safety deposit boxes in the U.S., but in Canada they aren't very large. 

My mom worked at a large bank for years and I asked her what the largest dimensions were for a box and I recall being able to hold only a handful of raw books and/or maybe 2-3 slabs

On 9/24/2017 at 12:36 AM, SC22 said:

No it's be safe and protect your stuff by all means necessary if need be (for some this is their whole life savings or close to it so it's no joke). Or don't your choice. I am sure thieves just love those who don't. Not saying he had a chance to do so if he was not there but for those who are home why would you just sick back and let your life savings be stolen.

I live in Canada so not many think like this but I am pretty sure in the U.S there are plenty of people who would do the same. Protect your loved ones, your household and your belongings.

making canada look bad pal ... like we’re shooting people left and right up here... it rarely happens actually ... 

Edited by Paddy_McShillihan

13 hours ago, SC22 said:

It is Canada not canada talk about making Canada look bad!! Says the man with a bag on his head....Mine as well stick your head in the ground and hope all danger passes you by!! Making the WHOLE country look bad.....Oh Lord....Give me a break I am one person in a country of 35 millions people. Maybe thieves have been lucky over the years stealing from people who do nothing or hitting mostly empty homes.

You be a good little victim and I will stand up for myself and protect my home.

How about out of respect for the OP you drop this?