• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with the census.

17 posts in this topic

I'm trying to find a book in the census, that I know has had copies slabbed, without success. Its a reprint of the original Avengers 11 that is sometimes called The Avengers in NY. 

It was handed out to hotel guest in NY about a dozen years ago.  I've seen slabbed copies but a search turns up hundreds of possibilities but no exact match.

Any help would be appreciated.  Juan( Mr. Highgrade) gave me a copy several years ago and it is in my permanent collection. Just curious on the number graded as I saw one of them in 9.8 listed for $899 today. Owner claimed it was super super rare, which I'm pretty sure it  isn't.

Edited by shadroch

8 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'm trying to find a book in the census, that I know has had copies slabbed, without success. Its a reprint of the original Avengers 11 that is sometimes called The Avengers in NY. 

It was handed out to hotel guest in NY about a dozen years ago.  I've seen slabbed copies but a search turns up hundreds of possibilities but no exact match.

Any help would be appreciated.  Juan( Mr. Highgrade) gave me a copy several years ago and it is in my permanent collection. Just curious on the number graded as I saw one of them in 9.8 listed for $899 today. Owner claimed it was super super rare, which I'm pretty sure it  isn't.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?ComicID=52737

Thank You. I see I should have hit the exact match. not the starts with as that gave me far too many results to look through.

What's interesting is there is at least one variant . The copy I have has a Grand Central Station logo and the one I saw today doesn't.

I guess 15 copies total in the census does make it pretty rare, although I suspect most people don't know it exist.

Edited by shadroch

They were given out in front of Grand Central on 42nd street back in 2004. I remember nobody really cared for them, so I ask the woman that was trying to hand them out if I can grab a bunch and she told me be my guest.  

Edited by mr_highgrade

I found three versions during my Spidey promo collecting days @shadroch

Avengers # 11 – In New York Magazine Edition

Avengers # 11 – In New York Magazine Edition: Grand Central 

Avengers # 11 – In New York Magazine Edition: Gray Line

I don't own them now, but kept pictures:

59c76b81329aa_InNYGrayline.thumb.JPG.729d45c020278422eeedaf12db52bf34.JPG

59c76b8695b79_InNYReg.thumb.JPG.cff1285c18bda4f223cd5eb6bafca455.JPG

59c76b7b9d1fd_GrandCentralINYCGC2.thumb.JPG.20204c029a79d3dbfbd98dbae23c1c20.JPG

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

Thank You. I see I should have hit the exact match. not the starts with as that gave me far too many results to look through.

What's interesting is there is at least one variant . The copy I have has a Grand Central Station logo and the one I saw today doesn't.

I guess 15 copies total in the census does make it pretty rare, although I suspect most people don't know it exist.

Its definitely rare and I've not seen the Grand Central Station logo copy so I bet thats much harder to find.

11 hours ago, shadroch said:

I couldn't find it with a search either so searched ebay instead to find a graded version.  If you do a cert lookup on a graded version there's an entry in the cert overview, "graded at" which is a link to the census.  I don't think CGC's search implementation is very well done for the census because some books are difficult to find if you don't know the proper title.

12 minutes ago, comicquant said:
11 hours ago, shadroch said:

I couldn't find it with a search either so searched ebay instead to find a graded version.  If you do a cert lookup on a graded version there's an entry in the cert overview, "graded at" which is a link to the census.  I don't think CGC's search implementation is very well done for the census because some books are difficult to find if you don't know the proper title.

I found it fairly easily. I searched for Avengers 11 and there are only four options, one of which is dated 1964 (the original print). The date of the promo is 2004 and it shows 15 graded copies so far. It doesn't differentiate between the three known versions but it's probably unreasonable to expect CGC to know what versions exist when dealing with little known promos that have multiple versions. From memory, the Grand Central copy was the hardest to find. I wonder if CGC would update the recording of future copies if we provided them with the three known variations? Probably not, as the existing 15 would render the data inaccurate I guess.