• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics on Record Covers and Record Covers in Comics
1 1

178 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I remember seeing the ad for this record in comic books growing up and always wondering what it sounded like. But then again, back then I was into Spandau Ballet and Kajagoogoo :sick:

Spider-Man-Rock-House-Ad.jpg

Gold! :banana:
Always believe in your sou-ul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructib-le
Always be-lieve in, because you are

Difficult song to dislike that one.

As for Kajagoopoo, at school we always changed the last word on that one. Not many words escaped us actually - too shy de censored, too shy de censored, too shy de censored. You get the drift....:bigsmile:

Edited by Marwood & I
My love does it good.

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Always believe in your sou-ul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructib-le
Always be-lieve in, because you are

Difficult song to dislike that one.

As for Kajagoopoo, at school we always changed the last word on that one. Not many words escaped us actually - too shy de censored, too shy de censored, too shy de censored. You get the drift....:bigsmile:

Jesus, you guys were so mean to poor Limhal!

m8wZhc9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Jesus, you guys were so mean to poor Limhal!

m8wZhc9.jpg

Is that 'Mean Limahl' Aweandlorder?

Too shy de shy, hush hush, I'm gonna rip your throat out! :mad:

limahl.gif.5b9c9696245739740223ef3b410f3758.gif

I only recently read that Arthur Adams actually did base Longshot's mullet on Limahl's haircut.

I didn't realise the band was that well-known over in the States.

At least he didn't use the guy from Flock of Seagulls as a reference.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I only recently read that Arthur Adams actually did base Longshot's mullet on Limahl's haircut.

flock1.jpg.82b778c6993164142115c51e4824788c.jpg  hm  hughjackman-Wolverine-hairstyle.jpg.ec883668010f01bc770e5364f59b9e1e.jpg

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Absolutely. He was aware of him through "Never Ending Story" I think 

I looooved Brit-Pop growing up. I always thought I was weird in that sense (well.. and other ways too) I used to collect No #1 & Bravo magazines and my room was full of posters from those magazines. ABC, Talk-Talk, Scritti Politti, Madness, Fun Boy Three, Ultravox, Thompson Twins, Malcolm McLaren, The Specials, FGTH,  Depeche.... Ahhhh so many others

ok I better stop hijacking Marwood's thread again ?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I looooved Brit-Pop growing up. I always thought I was weird in that sense (well.. and other ways too) I used to collect No #1 & Bravo magazines and my room was full of posters from those magazines. ABC, Talk-Talk, Scritti Politti, Madness, Fun Boy Three, Ultravox, Thompson Twins, Malcolm McLaren, The Specials, FGTH,  Depeche.... Ahhhh so many others

ok I better stop hijacking Marwood's thread again ?

Anyone with cool music taste like that can hijack my threads all day long :headbang: You forgot Squeeze and Elvis though Aweandlorder (Costello that is, not that lesser known one) :wink:

The Spider-Man album reminded me of a band called Shrapnel, which I recall appearing in a Spider-Man Annual illustrated by Frank Miller.

Given the name, I always assumed they were heavy metal, but, on reading up about them, I've just discovered they were a punk band.

1000001_150496711147449.jpg

I also recall this ad in Marvels at the time...1000001_150496711122462.jpg

That's all taken from an article about the band, but, for me, great nostalgia reading it.

I'd assumed they'd simply faded into total obscurity, but apparently one of the band members went on to form a rock band which I remember from the early to mid 90s, called Monster Magnet.  Again, an interesting surprise, especially as amongst comic book fans, and especially Deadpool fans, they're now best-known for a song called Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Edited by Ken Aldred

34 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Spider-Man album reminded me of a band called Shrapnel, which I recall appearing in a Spider-Man Annual illustrated by Frank Miller.

Given the name, I always assumed they were heavy metal, but, on reading up about them, I've just discovered they were a punk band.

1000001_150496711147449.jpg

I also recall this ad in Marvels at the time...1000001_150496711122462.jpg

That's all taken from an article about the band, but, for me, great nostalgia reading it.

I'd assumed they'd simply faded into total obscurity, but apparently one of the band members went on to form a rock band which I remember from the early to mid 90s, called Monster Magnet.  Again, an interesting surprise, especially as amongst comic book fans, and especially Deadpool fans, they're now best-known for a song called Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

And guess what Ken? 

They're brilliant! Jim'll like this - Jim! Come listen :headbang: @porcupine48

Great post Ken!

Edited by Marwood & I
Negasonic Teenage Warhead