• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie here: CGC no longer grades SIGNED comics?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am new to the CGC forums and need advice/direction.  I have about 10 vintage comics I had signed by Stan Lee in 1997 and bought a decade before that.  A few of which are key issues (Hulk 181, Xmen 94, etc).  I want to get these graded so that I can sell them, but I'm reading that CGC won't grade signed comics. Is this correct?

Does this mean I can't get these graded or what are other people doing?  Thank you for the help

Daniel

12360216_10153903477446062_6110799577912495434_n.jpg

12362888_10153903477546062_769244142917292214_o.jpg

12360421_10153903477556062_4498154928982978637_n.jpg

Edited by td2243

I think you have terminology mixed up. First off, the various CGC labels are explained here-

https://www.cgccomics.com/labels/

CGC has a Signature Series (yellow labels) that they will both grade and certify a signature as authentic, but they have to WITNESS the signing. So your Stan Lee books are not eligible for Signature Series (yellow label). To learn more about the Signature Series, go here-

As for your books-

Yes, CGC will still grade them. HOWEVER, since they can't verify or authenticate your signatures, your books will most likely get a Qualified (green) label. To see some examples of what that a signed book with a CGC green label might look like, go here-

[UNLESS the signature is on the inside of the book and not on the cover. Because that technically doesn't downgrade the condition of the book, you would get a Universal (blue) label, where it says "Stan Lee written in marker on page 1". But even that is tricky, since CGC isn't verifying the signature - it's just saying that it's there.]

So unfortunately, your options here are pick-your-poison-

If you go through CGC for your books, the green label is your only option - but for the purpose of selling, you'll probably take a hit because green labels aren't as popular. Especially since Stan Lee is still making appearances and signing books that get Signature Series (yellow) labels. Or you can go with one of CGC's competitors who offer grading and/or signature verification, but then you'll take a hit because you won't be selling a CGC graded book anymore. Or you can bypass grading and see what you can get selling your books raw/unslabbed. 

Hope this helps!

That helps immensely. Thank you so much. I think I will opt to go with another grading company. While I understand that CGC is 'the' company, I'd still prefer to have my signatures authenticated before being slabbed.  I guess CGC has their reasons, but it unfortunate for those who had comics signed years before they were around. 

Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, Toymachine78 said:

Had this policy changed? There is a book on eBay with a Neal Adams sig on cover with a blue label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133178507015

Screenshot_20200219-112839.png

Not entirely sure what your question is, but CGC will grade this type with non-CGC SS witnessed signature of comic in two ways, you can choose:

1.  They ignore the signature, and grade the entire comic as if the signature wasn't there, but it gets a green 'qualified' label.

2. They treat the signature as a defect, and it gets a blue 'universal' label.

The certificate of authenticity is ignored in either situation, and likely returned to you if you submit the COA.  Also, in case it was going to be a question, CGC does not authenticate signatures. 

If you have more questions, you should FIRST check out the signature room subforum, there's a 'noob' thread at/near the top of the page that answers most FAQ's.  And/or for specifics of the rules or submission you can check out the cgc website and/or contact cgc customer service.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:56 PM, td2243 said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the CGC forums and need advice/direction.  I have about 10 vintage comics I had signed by Stan Lee in 1997 and bought a decade before that.  A few of which are key issues (Hulk 181, Xmen 94, etc).  I want to get these graded so that I can sell them, but I'm reading that CGC won't grade signed comics. Is this correct?

Does this mean I can't get these graded or what are other people doing?  Thank you for the help

Daniel

12360216_10153903477446062_6110799577912495434_n.jpg

12362888_10153903477546062_769244142917292214_o.jpg

12360421_10153903477556062_4498154928982978637_n.jpg

I am happy to see another ASM 97 with a Stan Lee sig on it :) Mine was signed 4 years ago and it looks similar to these. Maybe a little chunky. I also like the placement on these.

And I think other posters have answered your questions. As for would I grade such comics, no. Unless the goal is to sell. I honestly think people would pay as much raw for these as they would grade by another company. Maybe you come out with a bit more but I doubt it. The person who wants these wants cool books signed by Stan. They will expect a discount if buying a book slabbed by someone not considered to be the top of the game. But if you just want to protect em, by all means, slab away :)

If I were you and your goal was just to sell the comics, I would simply sell them as such. Grading these will cost you quite a bit of money and you won't get much in return. See below example, the difference between a non CGC and a CGC copy of a good looking Spider-man 98 was 10$. Grading it will cost you about 50$, sounds like a terrible return. Plus, the market preffers signed raw books (what you have) than non Signature Series CGC holders (meaning slabbed comics where the signature was not witnessed). You might even end up getting less for them because of the signature within a CGC label. 

TLDR: Just sell them raw, you'll make some good money.

image.thumb.png.51f99a10a4944e5ef6737d44a24e21f1.png

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:gossip:

You can request a Universal label and CGC will treat the writing as a defect.

Do you have an idea of how much CGC removes from the grade for such a defect?

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

...Do you have an idea of how much CGC removes from the grade for such a defect?

I don't work for CGC, am not telepathic, and it would be on a case-by-case basis.

I can say that there are 9.8s out there with "name on cover". It would also likely be negligible in most low to mid-grade comics.

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

If I were you and your goal was just to sell the comics, I would simply sell them as such. Grading these will cost you quite a bit of money and you won't get much in return. See below example, the difference between a non CGC and a CGC copy of a good looking Spider-man 98 was 10$. Grading it will cost you about 50$, sounds like a terrible return. Plus, the market preffers signed raw books (what you have) than non Signature Series CGC holders (meaning slabbed comics where the signature was not witnessed). You might even end up getting less for them because of the signature within a CGC label. 

TLDR: Just sell them raw, you'll make some good money.

image.thumb.png.51f99a10a4944e5ef6737d44a24e21f1.png

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You can request a Universal label and CGC will treat the writing as a defect.

Do you have an idea of how much CGC removes from the grade for such a defect?

Very generally, the size and placement (and to a lesser extent the neatness) will impact the grade.  BUT the higher the grade comic (independent of the sig), the bigger the likely impact.  if its a 4.5 it might not even have an impact.  It'd be tough to get a 9.8 (but not impossible)

Just now, Pontoon said:

In case you haven’t noticed, you guys are responding to a post by the OP from 2017, and the OP has made all of two posts. There’s probably a good chance he’s no longer around.

It was threadsurrected by a different member. They actually searched for the relevant topic!

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

In case you haven’t noticed, you guys are responding to a post by the OP from 2017, and the OP has made all of two posts. There’s probably a good chance he’s no longer around.

Haha, no I didnt notice. But I don't mind, I got to learn that books with signature can still get a 9.8 blue label.

44 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It was threadsurrected by a different member. They actually searched for the relevant topic!

Yes, it was. It was resurrected by Toymachine78 and then Revat answered his question. My post was directed towards comicginger1789 and William-James88 who did not respond to the new post or the response, but to the original post from 2017.  Perhaps you didn't perform the relevant reading.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:20 AM, revat said:

Very generally, the size and placement (and to a lesser extent the neatness) will impact the grade.  BUT the higher the grade comic (independent of the sig), the bigger the likely impact.  if its a 4.5 it might not even have an impact.  It'd be tough to get a 9.8 (but not impossible)

Thanks for this reply, very informative!  I've got TMNT 1-3 signed and remarked by Kevin Eastman at SDCC2019 but was not aware of the CGC signature requirements (or pretty much CGC) at that point.  Was hesitant to get them graded for preservation because of green label.  Will send them in now though for blue label.

TTony - I recently got back into comics after not collecting for 30 years...
Honestly I feel the SAME WAY about "Facilitators" handling my Comics to get them to CGC...

Maybe its a sin to mention it; but CBCS will grade, authenticate, & slab previously signed Books...
HOWEVER; as a Noob to both services, CBCS messed up Both my Orders (3-books) that were Direct Artist Mail-ins...

CBCS uses some poor overseas girl for their CS Phone services and all she can do is email someone and sometime later someone will get back to you.... But if you have "ISSUES" it seems you have no control to do anything in the "Dashboard" Online (CGC Website/dashboard useless too) to make simple changes like one of the errors on intake that CBCS made was setting the book for "Pick-up" from Texas -which is Impossible for me to get-; but is something the USER could have fixed in the Dashboard....

Bottom line is, it is THE 21 CENTURY and both these companies lack significantly tech wise on their websites for their ordering systems.... 

I know people are optimistic about Cons coming back; but frankly the On-Line comic experience during this time has been phenomenal..!!! Its now easier to keep up will artists from all over the world and interact with them and buy art or commissions directly from the artist without paying heavy show entrance fees and fight crowds and lines... 
And Facilitator "Fees" eak the hell out of me..!

Moving forward into 2021 I think CGC is going to have to make some serious moves to offer competing services (ie authenticate signatures already) and improve user online experience on their site...
In other words if Beckett can tighten up CBCS; and CGC dosent progress into the 21st Century already they will get left behind...

I like the CBCS cases over the CGC cases; but Customer Service from CBCS is junk compared to CGC...
Product Knowledge is lacking in the CS department at CGC as well; but at least they try & do get back to you in a timely manner...  

Considering the times; and the point these companies are (financially) at; their online systems for customers is sub-par, and its kind of pathetic that as customers we still have to deal with a basic website system design from 1995 era... 

39 minutes ago, DANNiE D said:

Bottom line is, it is THE 21 CENTURY and both these companies lack significantly tech wise on their websites for their ordering systems.... 

Moving forward into 2021 I think CGC is going to have to make some serious moves to offer competing services (ie authenticate signatures already) 

I like the CBCS cases over the CGC cases;

Agreed 100% on the lack of customer service on both ends but then again, these are not huge companies we are talking about here.  

I do not agree with CGC offering an authentic signature veriying already done.  The benefit to CGC yellow label signature series is that there is no doubt that the book was signed in person and witnessed by someone.  Authenticated signatures after the fact always leaves doubt as evidenced by PSA being caught with their pants down in verifying lots of signatures that were then deemed fake.

While that other company did improve their case, it still is not as good as CGC's case.  Sure its improved but it's still lighter and not as robust as the CGC case.