• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtTracker.com
3 3

369 posts in this topic

By default, le system searches for any page with the two keywords... but it systematically removes words considered as meaningless (such as "the", "one", "what", etc.). Unfortunately it seems like the word "beyond" falls in this category, so searching for 'batman beyond' is like searching for 'batman' alone. When adding double quotes, you ensure that the search engine will look for this exact two words together.

To not be used for artists names, as you're never sure if the original website with display last name + first name, first name + last name, last name alone, etc. but definitely useful for series.

Edited by NicoV

4 minutes ago, NicoV said:

By default, le system searches for any page with the two keywords... but it systematically removes words considered as meaningless (such as "the", "one", "what", etc.). Unfortunately it seems like the word "beyond" falls in this category, so searching for 'batman beyond' is like searching for 'batman' alone. When adding double quotes, you ensure that the search engine will look for this exact two words together.

To not be used for artists names, as you're never sure if the original website with display last name + first name, first name + last name, last name alone, etc. but definitely useful for series.

Have you thought about adding Boolean search terms like w/10 or “not”?

4 hours ago, NicoV said:

That's why I have both "Tim Sale" and "Sale Tim" in my favorite searches. Without the quotes, I get waaaaaaaaay too many irrelevant results.

I'm curious how folks are using CAT.

To this point I simply have keyword alerts going off and have limited to dealers/sites I care to get updates from.  It sounds like people are going to the site daily and browsing the new listings like many of us do CAF but I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, NicoV said:

Hi everybody. Sorry to have caused you so much pain. The database server went down and I could not make it work again yesterday. A (not so) good night's sleep seems to have been beneficial, as CAT is up and running again (a big thanks to my friend Google). Crossing my fingers. I'm going to make up for the lost time and ensure that all 300 websites are reindexed in a couple of hours, hopefully before the next daily email.

Thank you!

It's become indispensable.

Edited by Twanj

1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I'm curious how folks are using CAT.

To this point I simply have keyword alerts going off and have limited to dealers/sites I care to get updates from.  It sounds like people are going to the site daily and browsing the new listings like many of us do CAF but I could be wrong.

I don't really have stats about users' behaviour, but for sure a good part of CAT users go to the site several times a day.

Email alerts are great when you're busy and don't want to spend one hour a day to check all new listed art (far less if you don't look at eBay), and you know what you're looking for. It ensures that you won't miss something that you know you may like. There's clearly a traffic peak during the 30 minutes after the daily email is sent to all users, and it does not even take into account all users that read their daily email but do not click to go to the CAT website.

But for all of us with the FOMO addiction, or when you're open to any new art that may catch your eye even if you never heard about the artist, you cannot exclusively rely on a list of keywords *. I like this "discovery" phase. You discover an artwork you like, you add the artist to your keywords just to see what other art could appear later. And there's also the upcoming auctions to browse, as well as the results for the recently closed auctions (or your tracked art page) to check what was the final price for the artworks you followed... 

* 2 people on 5 have setup one or several keywords. For these users, the average number of keywords is 10, but ~ 100 users have more than 50 keywords and a few of them have more than 200 keywords !

Edited by NicoV

On 10/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, NicoV said:

I don't really have stats about users' behaviour, but for sure a good part of CAT users go to the site several times a day.

Email alerts are great when you're busy and don't want to spend one hour a day to check all new listed art (far less if you don't look at eBay), and you know what you're looking for. It ensures that you won't miss something that you know you may like. There's clearly a traffic peak during the 30 minutes after the daily email is sent to all users, and it does not even take into account all users that read their daily email but do not click to go to the CAT website.

But for all of us with the FOMO addiction, or when you're open to any new art that may catch your eye even if you never heard about the artist, you cannot exclusively rely on a list of keywords *. I like this "discovery" phase. You discover an artwork you like, you add the artist to your keywords just to see what other art could appear later. And there's also the upcoming auctions to browse, as well as the results for the recently closed auctions (or your tracked art page) to check what was the final price for the artworks you followed... 

* 2 people on 5 have setup one or several keywords. For these users, the average number of keywords is 10, but ~ 100 users have more than 50 keywords and a few of them have more than 200 keywords !

Any chance you could add Boolean search terms like: or, not or w/10 (etc.)

21 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Any chance you could add Boolean search terms like: or, not or w/10 (etc.)

• or: you already have it... just create two keywords xD
  • not: you also have it, it's "-"  (as in  kirby -rip )
  • w/10: what is it? 

2 hours ago, NicoV said:
  • or: you already have it... just create two keywords xD
  • not: you also have it, it's "-"  (as in  kirby -rip )
  • w/10: what is it? 

Kirby w/5 Jack means that if Jack is within 5 words of Kirby it shows up, regardless whether before or after.  There is also Jack pre/5 Kirby. That means Jack has to be before Kirby and within 5 words. Some systems allow the reader to get fancy, using multiple combinations, but I don’t find them necessary ( with other variables, too). 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, Twanj said:

@NicoV This may complicate things unnecessarily but some listings like "$10 ETH" at https://panelpageart.com/newitems.asp are showing up as $10.

I don't know how widespread this will become so it may not be worth engineering.

Hi @Twanj, thanks for the heads up! 

I've also seen that today, and I definitely have to fix it - hopefully this evening or tomorrow :)

On 1/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, NicoV said:

Hi @Twanj, thanks for the heads up! 

I've also seen that today, and I definitely have to fix it - hopefully this evening or tomorrow :)

I love CAT so much and am obsessed by it! Thank you so much!

I was thinking of another possible feature.

I track about 10-40 things. When it's short it's easy to notice when something falls off the tracked page. But as it gets longer, it's hard to remember.

I'm not sure how to do it, but maybe if something you're tracking gets sold or removed maybe it could be grayed out and move to the bottom of the list, and you have to unheart it for it to be removed from the Tracked list? That way it would be easy to tell what things are disappearing from your list.

Should be ok for the art in ETH. :)

On 1/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, Twanj said:

I track about 10-40 things. When it's short it's easy to notice when something falls off the tracked page. But as it gets longer, it's hard to remember.

I'm not sure how to do it, but maybe if something you're tracking gets sold or removed maybe it could be grayed out and move to the bottom of the list, and you have to unheart it for it to be removed from the Tracked list? That way it would be easy to tell what things are disappearing from your list.

I'm not sure to understand. Nothing should disappear "spontaneously" from your tracking list. If some artwork you're tracking is sold (or removed from the dealer's inventory), it just moves from the "available" status to the "sold' status, but you can still see it by selecting the relevant status filter on the left panel:

image.thumb.png.705d5bd378dc6055f79708bc985dfdcf.png

On 1/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, NicoV said:

Should be ok for the art in ETH. :)

I'm not sure to understand. Nothing should disappear "spontaneously" from your tracking list. If some artwork you're tracking is sold (or removed from the dealer's inventory), it just moves from the "available" status to the "sold' status, but you can still see it by selecting the relevant status filter on the left panel:

image.thumb.png.705d5bd378dc6055f79708bc985dfdcf.png

Thanks for the ETH update! :)

Of course you've already done what I was talking about! LOL there's my 500 previously watched items. THANK YOU!

Some things do occasionally disappear & reappear on my tracked list tho. I'm guessing it's just a spidering issue with a site temporarily unavailable tho.