• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtTracker.com
3 3

369 posts in this topic

By making this site, I think you may have just spent more of other people's money than many small governments. ;)

What a fantastic tool. I started collecting more than 25 years ago, and after 5 minutes with this thing, I'm already seeing pieces I never knew were out there. Goes to show you can think you've got all your ground covered, and wham.... you gift this site to folks.

How great is that?!?

By the by, you should probably be charging membership fees to help pay for server space, etc. when this takes off.
And I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Oh My God is this tool amazing. I love it when smart people tackle problems and come up with good solutions. Thank you very much for this!

We all knew the hobby needed something like this, it's been obvious for at least ten years. For myself: too busy and (especially) L A Z Y to do anything about it. Nico should definitely figure out a way to monetize this thing, without killing it (of course!)

I've bought comic art three days in a row, which hasn't happened in years (three in a row that is), all sourced from CAT, two from two different sites I never knew existed. That's saying something, as I'm exceptional at turning over rocks and navigating foreign sites (and cultures too...that matters).

Question for Nico: Any thoughts to resolving some of the inherent language barriers as ENG users perform searches on non-ENG sites using ENG search terms?

37 minutes ago, vodou said:

Question for Nico: Any thoughts to resolving some of the inherent language barriers as ENG users perform searches on non-ENG sites using ENG search terms?

Shhh... if you bring up the subject of accents or special characters, Nico's face turns purple and steam starts coming out of his nostrils. Poor guy!

10030707_2.jpg?v=8CE71411C11F350

Edited by BCarter27

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I've bought comic art three days in a row, which hasn't happened in years (three in a row that is), all sourced from CAT, two from two different sites I never knew existed. That's saying something, as I'm exceptional at turning over rocks and navigating foreign sites (and cultures too...that matters).

I'm really curious to know which sites you're talking about... in PM maybe? ;-)

(and I still have at least 20-30 small sites to index, somewhere in my loooong TO DO list)

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Actually, as Brandon answered above, all this "natural language search" is quite a painful subject :bigsmile:

I have a few ideas to resolve (or at least reduce) the issues with accents (you're not really impacted as you don't have accents but in France it's not the same to search for Hergé and Herge) and the issues with hyphens ("spiderman" vs "spider-man"... unfortunately I can't do anything about "spider man").

Regarding "generic" search terms (I mean not an artist or character name), what kind of search terms might be involved? Only a few of them, such as "splash page" (no real translation in French) or "cover", I guess. It would be really resource-consuming to use Google translation API to have all text translated (in how many languages?) + having each search looking for all these translations, only for a few keywords. In this case, isn't it simpler to add two favorites, such as kirby cover and kirby couverture ?

And last but not least I only have a limited control on eBay searches so whatever I do, eBay will use its own algorithm to give me results back on BIN items.

But maybe I'm wrong, or I don't see all the situations were it could be an issue... let's talk about it ;-)

For ebay searches, it would be cool to add a section for an exclusion list.

I know i have about 10 or so separate words i remove from all my searches to filter out as much of the junk as I can.  So if that could be a standard for every time the search happens behind the scenes that would be a great function.

40 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

For ebay searches, it would be cool to add a section for an exclusion list.

I know i have about 10 or so separate words i remove from all my searches to filter out as much of the junk as I can.  So if that could be a standard for every time the search happens behind the scenes that would be a great function.

Yep, that's part of my TO DO list :)

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

I'm really curious to know which sites you're talking about... in PM maybe? ;-)

(and I still have at least 20-30 small sites to index, somewhere in my loooong TO DO list)

Actually, as Brandon answered above, all this "natural language search" is quite a painful subject :bigsmile:

I have a few ideas to resolve (or at least reduce) the issues with accents (you're not really impacted as you don't have accents but in France it's not the same to search for Hergé and Herge) and the issues with hyphens ("spiderman" vs "spider-man"... unfortunately I can't do anything about "spider man").

Regarding "generic" search terms (I mean not an artist or character name), what kind of search terms might be involved? Only a few of them, such as "splash page" (no real translation in French) or "cover", I guess. It would be really resource-consuming to use Google translation API to have all text translated (in how many languages?) + having each search looking for all these translations, only for a few keywords. In this case, isn't it simpler to add two favorites, such as kirby cover and kirby couverture ?

And last but not least I only have a limited control on eBay searches so whatever I do, eBay will use its own algorithm to give me results back on BIN items.

But maybe I'm wrong, or I don't see all the situations were it could be an issue... let's talk about it ;-)

I'll pm you on the first, the second was this scenario:

I know what "cover" is in all languages, and will search appropriately. But those new to all this cross-searching may not be thinking that "cover" and "copertina" (for example) will yield different results on different sites ;)

On 9/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, Flambit said:

Pretty fantastic.  

I'd love to see an option to restrict certain dealers from my search...  *cough*coollines*cough*

On 9/25/2017 at 11:01 AM, rocket1312 said:

In the settings there is a "sources" tab which allows you to customize which sources are included in searches.

Ooooh......"unchecking" a box has never felt so sublime. I'm gonna need to take a moment to just soak in this emotion. :cloud9:

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I'll pm you on the first, the second was this scenario:

I know what "cover" is in all languages, and will search appropriately. But those new to all this cross-searching may not be thinking that "cover" and "copertina" (for example) will yield different results on different sites ;)

Sure but I cannot do ALL the work :bigsmile:   If you ask Google for a Kirby cover,  I guess this copertina won't be on the first pages ... My opinion being that it's hazardous to use common nouns in searches. You should probably stick to proper nouns and filter by yourself if you don't want to miss something. But that's only my opinion :nyah:

Edited by NicoV

One thing that keep catches me about the site is that when at the home page or a search result, the search box i immediately in focus.  It means when I go to arrow down on my laptop keyboard I'm not able to move down the page as I expect.  I can on all other sites that I can think of.

Otherwise, I think I'm about to make my first purchase due to using the site, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

Simon

8 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

One thing that keep catches me about the site is that when at the home page or a search result, the search box i immediately in focus.  It means when I go to arrow down on my laptop keyboard I'm not able to move down the page as I expect.  I can on all other sites that I can think of.

Thanks for your feedback Simon, I never thought about it as I easily and naturally use the touchpad to scroll down... but I think you're right and this autofocus is neither necessary nor desirable in this case. I removed it, now you can scroll down using your keyboard without cursing me every time you open the home page :nyah:

1 hour ago, NicoV said:

Thanks for your feedback Simon, I never thought about it as I easily and naturally use the touchpad to scroll down... but I think you're right and this autofocus is neither necessary nor desirable in this case. I removed it, now you can scroll down using your keyboard without cursing me every time you open the home page :nyah:

Thank you, works perfectly!

19 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Ooooh......"unchecking" a box has never felt so sublime. I'm gonna need to take a moment to just soak in this emotion. :cloud9:

understatement of the the century man, hell I unchecked everything and then did a search for "please inquire" just to enjoy the serenity of a blank white screen.:cloud9: