Wanting Silver Age key/expensive comics list
0

7 posts in this topic

145 posts

Hey guys, so I've got a pretty good lead on some potentially valuable comic books. I posted in a facebook swap and buy group that I would buy old comic collections, and got a reply from someone saying they have a rubber maid container full of old comics and they aren't sure what they are worth but want me to take a look. I tried asking for more information, if it was mostly Marvel or DC ect. but all they said in reply was "Everything 60s to mid 70s I think"  

Apparently this guy needs to go through his storage room and actually find the comics, so I have a couple days to prepare. My goal is to buy whatever he has for a reasonable price, and sell some of it to pay for the purchase. Now I have no idea what he is thinking price-wise . . . but I'd like to have a list of Key/expensive comics from the 60s/70s that I could study so when I go to look at them I can recognize if there are any expensive comics hidden in there. I have a okay grip on which Marvel comics would be worth some cash but could still use a help with those, and I am pretty clueless with DC and other publishers.

Does such a list exist somewhere?  Would anybody like to help me out?  

EDIT: Also if anyone has any general advice on how to figure out what to offer this guy it would be appreciated. Obviously I want to get them for as cheap as I can, but I don't want to start off with an offer so low I just insult the guy. How do you guys come up with a price value when making an offer on something like this?

Edited by Shawnismaximus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244 posts
1 hour ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Hey guys, so I've got a pretty good lead on some potentially valuable comic books. I posted in a facebook swap and buy group that I would buy old comic collections, and got a reply from someone saying they have a rubber maid container full of old comics and they aren't sure what they are worth but want me to take a look. I tried asking for more information, if it was mostly Marvel or DC ect. but all they said in reply was "Everything 60s to mid 70s I think"  

Apparently this guy needs to go through his storage room and actually find the comics, so I have a couple days to prepare. My goal is to buy whatever he has for a reasonable price, and sell some of it to pay for the purchase. Now I have no idea what he is thinking price-wise . . . but I'd like to have a list of Key/expensive comics from the 60s/70s that I could study so when I go to look at them I can recognize if there are any expensive comics hidden in there. I have a okay grip on which Marvel comics would be worth some cash but could still use a help with those, and I am pretty clueless with DC and other publishers.

Does such a list exist somewhere?  Would anybody like to help me out?  

EDIT: Also if anyone has any general advice on how to figure out what to offer this guy it would be appreciated. Obviously I want to get them for as cheap as I can, but I don't want to start off with an offer so low I just insult the guy. How do you guys come up with a price value when making an offer on something like this?

Condition is key. Will you be able to actually see them before you make an offer? If you have a copy of the overstreet price guy that's a starting point. You need to know what you can realistically sell them for so you need to be able to grade well and know which books will sell for 30% of guide and which will sell for twice guide. Then you can make an offer that gives you room for profit and isn't an insult to the owner. To make a list like that takes a lot of time, experience, and research. I'd get a complete list from him first and then check guide and recent sales. If there are any that are potentially high value then you either need scans of front and back and notes on interior condition like staple issues or even better see them in person. When you have a list you can share it here and I'm sure a number of folks can let you know if there any hidden gems in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145 posts
9 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Condition is key. Will you be able to actually see them before you make an offer? If you have a copy of the overstreet price guy that's a starting point. You need to know what you can realistically sell them for so you need to be able to grade well and know which books will sell for 30% of guide and which will sell for twice guide. Then you can make an offer that gives you room for profit and isn't an insult to the owner. To make a list like that takes a lot of time, experience, and research. I'd get a complete list from him first and then check guide and recent sales. If there are any that are potentially high value then you either need scans of front and back and notes on interior condition like staple issues or even better see them in person. When you have a list you can share it here and I'm sure a number of folks can let you know if there any hidden gems in there.

Thanks Terrapin. 

I get the impression this guy knows little to nothing about comic books and wouldn't be interested in giving me a list or anything like that. He said he had to dig them out of storage so I'm guessing they are his dads or something. I'm going to see the comics in person before making an offer, and I bet it will be a "here's the bin, I don't know anything about them, make me an offer" sort of situation. If I bring an overstreet price guide with me he will likely start asking me what the guide says they are worth, so that seems like a bad idea (overstreet prices seem inflated compared to ebay).  

He wants to sell them all together so I would likely be making a offer price like "a buck a comic".  I'm hoping I can get a list of the more valuable comics from that time period, so if we get in a debate about price, I would know "okay I can go a bit higher, there's a Hulk 181 (or whatever) in there" or "Nah I better not go higher, I don't see any valuable comics jumping out at me".

p.s. condition is totally key, you are right. But I'm not sure what to expect on that front just yet. At least with condition it will be evident as soon as I look at them. I'm just worried about not realizing there's an expensive comic in the mix that I've missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,434 posts

Ask him what the cover prices are.   A lot of people think they have "old comics" when really they've got common 80s-90s stuff.   If he says 12-25 cents, it's worth a look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145 posts
2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Ask him what the cover prices are.   A lot of people think they have "old comics" when really they've got common 80s-90s stuff.   If he says 12-25 cents, it's worth a look. 

Yeah, I've had a bunch of people respond to my facebook post saying they have "old comics" and it ends up being 80s/90s stuff. But this guy specifically said they are from the 60s to mid 70s, so fingers crossed!  He's going to contact me once he 'digs them out' . . . it's taking a lot of my willpower not to message him every hour and ask if he's found them yet haha. I'll wait a week and if I haven't heard from him I'll message him. I don't want to seem too eager. But in the meantime I'm hoping to find a list of key/expensive silver age comics so I can be prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222 posts
On 10/19/2017 at 12:03 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Love the app ! Used it today at my LCS.  THANK YOU !!!!

 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:01 AM, Shawnismaximus said:

Hey guys, so I've got a pretty good lead on some potentially valuable comic books. I posted in a facebook swap and buy group that I would buy old comic collections, and got a reply from someone saying they have a rubber maid container full of old comics and they aren't sure what they are worth but want me to take a look. I tried asking for more information, if it was mostly Marvel or DC ect. but all they said in reply was "Everything 60s to mid 70s I think"  

Apparently this guy needs to go through his storage room and actually find the comics, so I have a couple days to prepare. My goal is to buy whatever he has for a reasonable price, and sell some of it to pay for the purchase. Now I have no idea what he is thinking price-wise . . . but I'd like to have a list of Key/expensive comics from the 60s/70s that I could study so when I go to look at them I can recognize if there are any expensive comics hidden in there. I have a okay grip on which Marvel comics would be worth some cash but could still use a help with those, and I am pretty clueless with DC and other publishers.

Does such a list exist somewhere?  Would anybody like to help me out?  

EDIT: Also if anyone has any general advice on how to figure out what to offer this guy it would be appreciated. Obviously I want to get them for as cheap as I can, but I don't want to start off with an offer so low I just insult the guy. How do you guys come up with a price value when making an offer on something like this?

Check out the free key collector comics mobile app on android and apple.  Without going into a ton of detail, just trust me...it’s exactly what you’re looking for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145 posts

Thanks man! I saw your other post and have already downloaded it, it works great.

My only wish is that it would provide the comics in more of a list view, so that you can fit way more on the screen and then just tap the comic for more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0