• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #48...CGC 9.8
2 2

67 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

That was the guy whose family had a newsstand in the 70's or they knew someone who had the newsstand and they were liquidating the comics.  He showed stacks 10-20 deep of Dynomutt, TV Stars, Flintstones, etc. along with tons of other stuff.  I had a PM with him about whether he was going to sell the H-B books or not.  I have no idea what happened to that motherlode.

Thank you.  I got my stories mixed up. 

42 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

It's nice to actually be involved in a legit CG thread . . .:cloud9:

I see that my presence has been requested?

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Yes I do remember that. That was around 15 years ago I believe, came from a gas station? I think I won one of the books from that bundle. Graded a 9.2.

At first blush, I was thinking that Ebay wasn't even around 15 years ago. lol

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

Does anyone remember when there was an unopened bundle find of FF48 in Utah and they were Ebaying their copies for days and days?  I bid on 20-30 of them and never won a single one. I bet 90% of the 9.8s came from that jackpot.  I would never pay big money for that book just because of watching all those untouched copies being auctioned for days.

In the mid 80s, Wooley's was auctioning lots of 10 NM copies of FF 48s as well. Definitely lots of HG copies out there. I should dig out one of their catalogs and see what those lots sold for...

I'm going to throw in two posts from fantas tic_four in here.

*fantastic_four

On 4/17/2018 at 9:49 AM, fantastic_four said:

FF 48 isn't comparable to any other Silver Age Marvel key I can think of due to the comparatively high supply.  It's in greater supply because tens of thousands of copies meant to be destroyed weren't, and years later they entered the collector's market.  The same applies to most other titles issued within a month of FF 48 such as Amazing Spider-Man 33, Avengers 26, X-Men 18, etc.  One issue from around that time for every title is available in huge supply compared to all issues around it.  It's not all March 1966 titles, some are February 1966 such as Spidey 33.

The book is a mega-key and would dwarf FF 52 in value if it were available in equivalent supply, but it isn't, so the price will always be watered down by the fact that it's the easiest Silver Age Marvel key to find.  If it were available in a supply proportionate to issues before and after it (i.e. #47 and #49) I'm guessing it would be the second-most valuable issue of FF behind #1.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:03 PM, fantastic_four said:

One additional note about February/March 1966 Marvels that are available in comparatively huge supply--I bet there's a root cause that someone out there knows.  Something like a printing issue that caused a bunch of copies to sit and not be tracked.  All of the issues are present in MULTIPLE warehouse finds; for example they're all in the semi-famous Mile High 2 warehouse buy by Chuck Rozanski at Mile High comics, but it's not just that one, so for whatever reason these issues were sitting undestroyed in warehouses in multiple locations around the country.  Comics from that month also have an infamously bad front-to-back cover wrap, so maybe Marvel switched printers, or they saw the quality control problems with the printer and made them warehouse a bunch of books.  Those are just educated guesses, but I bet there's a root cause someone could potentially identify.  I've heard other people claim over a decade ago in these forums that they can see a distinct difference in the color palettes on different copies of FF #48, but I could never tell that when looking at side-by-side comparisons of the ones that supposedly had different colors.

Here's an educated guess--the majority of copies of FF 48 (or Spidey 33, Avengers 26, etc) that have bad wrap are ones from the warehouse finds because Marvel noticed the problem and told the printer to fix it, and the more normal wraps are the ones that hit the stands.  We'll probably never know if that's true or not.  (shrug)  But I can say that all issues that coincidentally are available in huge supply today also have the consistently worst wrap of the early to mid Marvel Silver Age, so it would make perfect sense if that's what happened.

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

On 9/26/2017 at 4:38 PM, Riskman Enterprises said:

Need some help on this one...fabulous comic, CGC 9.8, White pages

What do you think its worth today....and ten years down the road...best guesses

Kevin in Atlanta

Why do you say it's a 9.8 is is graded or you just think it's a 9.8?  

2 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Ummm Kav...you saw that in the post you quoted it specifically says CGC 9.8 White, right?

Details, schmetails.

3 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Ummm Kav...you saw that in the post you quoted it specifically says CGC 9.8 White, right?

Yes I was just clarifying.  I've had people say 'CGC 9.8' when what they meant was they thought it was a 9.8 according to CGC standards.   I figured thats not what you meant but I'm kind of OCD so wanted to make sure.

Edited by kav

21 hours ago, seanfingh said:
21 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yikes.  My memory is getting muddy.   Am unsure why my recollection of the same event is so different.   Were there a lot of ASM involved too?  

I can't recall. The 48 was a big book for me at the time. that's why it caught my attention.

As I recall, the books were found in boxes, with other books besides FF #48, and it was a gas station in Canada not Utah. I might be fuzzy. There was definitely board discussion about them. I threw in bids here and there, but they weren’t in my wheelhouse/pay grade at the time.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

As I recall, the books were found in boxes, with other books besides FF #48, and it was a gas station in Canada not Utah. I might be fuzzy. There was definitely board discussion about them. I threw in bids here and there, but they weren’t in my wheelhouse/pay grade at the time.

Blowie. I want to read that thread. Find it for us. :foryou: