• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #48...CGC 9.8
2 2

67 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Billbord said:

Do you have this book or are you just curious? It's a $25k book today, 10 years from now the bubble will have burst and it'll be worth half that :)

Damn, I would just get a nice 9.0 and enjoy the money you saved.

42 minutes ago, Riskman Enterprises said:

I do have this comic...it is in amazing condition

Yeah!....So what do all you other Sonny Boys have?

Does anyone remember when there was an unopened bundle find of FF48 in Utah and they were Ebaying their copies for days and days?  I bid on 20-30 of them and never won a single one. I bet 90% of the 9.8s came from that jackpot.  I would never pay big money for that book just because of watching all those untouched copies being auctioned for days.

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Does anyone remember when there was an unopened bundle find of FF48 in Utah and they were Ebaying their copies for days and days?  I bid on 20-30 of them and never won a single one. I bet 90% of the 9.8s came from that jackpot.  I would never pay big money for that book just because of watching all those untouched copies being auctioned for days.

I guess a lot of people don't. Today it's more like a 30-35K book.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Yes I do remember that. That was around 15 years ago I believe, came from a gas station? I think I won one of the books from that bundle. Graded a 9.2.

3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yes I do remember that. That was around 15 years ago I believe, came from a gas station? I think I won one of the books from that bundle. Graded a 9.2.

That's the one.  If it's not too difficult, would you drop a scan in the thread?  I would love to see one of them again!

4 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
8 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

That's the one.  If it's not too difficult, would you drop a scan in the thread?  I would love to see one of them again!

I didn't know there was an unopened case of FF #48.    I thought it was an untouched spinner rack full of books from a shuttered gas station. 

Ya I will when I get home. I believe I dropped a scan of it somewhere else, perhaps the FF 48 thread. But I can certainly post it here.

I remember the seller selling a sealed box case of FF books inside. Sold for something like $15k. Probably all FF 48 issues, or maybe a variety of different issues. I forgot what he said.

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I didn't know there was an unopened case of FF #48.    I thought it was an untouched spinner rack full of books from a shuttered gas station. 

This wasn't a case. It was a twine wrapped bundle with brown paper around it.  If memory serves, there were two. One they pieced out and one they sold whole.

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

This wasn't a case. It was a twine wrapped bundle with brown paper around it.  If memory serves, there were two. One they pieced out and one they sold whole.

Yikes.  My memory is getting muddy.   Am unsure why my recollection of the same event is so different.   Were there a lot of ASM involved too? 

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

3 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yikes.  My memory is getting muddy.   Am unsure why my recollection of the same event is so different.   Were there a lot of ASM involved too? 

I can't recall. The 48 was a big book for me at the time. that's why it caught my attention.

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I can't recall. The 48 was a big book for me at the time. that's why it caught my attention.

We may be talking about two different events.  I remember some dude came on the boards and was talking about finding multiple copies of books in an abandoned convenience store.  A spinner rack may have been involved. Not many believed him until he started showing the goods.

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

We may be talking about two different events.  I remember some dude came on the boards and was talking about finding multiple copies of books in an abandoned convenience store.  A spinner rack may have been involved. Not many believed him until he started showing the goods.

That was the guy whose family had a newsstand in the 70's or they knew someone who had the newsstand and they were liquidating the comics.  He showed stacks 10-20 deep of Dynomutt, TV Stars, Flintstones, etc. along with tons of other stuff.  I had a PM with him about whether he was going to sell the H-B books or not.  I have no idea what happened to that motherlode.