• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] TWO Spider-man Variants I GUARANTEE You've Never Seen Before

18 posts in this topic

OK, so maybe I can’t actually guarantee that you’ve never seen these variants before (though for one of these books, that will probably hold true)

On to some legal stuff… then to the sale!!!

Terms:

First unconditional :takeit: by timestamp wins, whether in the thread or in PM. I will post the timestamp of any winning PM should a conflict arise.

I will absolutely NOT sell to anyone on probation or on the HOS list. I reserve the right to withhold sales to any member currently being discussed in the probation thread.

Payment:

PayPal, Chase QuickPay, Money Orders, Cashier's Checks, and Personal Checks all accepted. I wait 10 days for any form of paper payment to clear.

Shipping:

UNLIMITED Shipping to the US is a flat $6.75

Purchases under 13oz can be sent USPS First Class at cost (usually saves a couple dollars).

Most packages will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail, but larger orders may be shipped via UPS Ground.  I REFUSE to ship Media Mail, so know that your flat rate $6.75 cost will go a long way.  I will likely be absorbing a good chunk of shipping costs on each order here.

All INTERNATIONAL buyers are welcome, but shipping is at cost.  All International shipments will be sent via USPS.

I generally ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment.  Local pickup in the Chicagoland area, but you have to come towards me. (Southwest suburbs)

All comics will be shipped securely, wrapped in many layers of cardboard to ensure they arrive in the stated condition (I find this works better than just cardboard sandwiching).  I take a lot of time and care to ensure the books will arrive safely.  I’m a collector first myself and know the pain of receiving books damaged in transit due to improper packaging.  You don’t have to worry about that here.

Lastly, shipping on books purchased in this thread can be combined with any other comic purchases from my other sales threads or eBay auctions.

Returns:

Returns on RAW books are accepted within a 10 day period of delivery.
Returns on CGC graded books are only accepted if they arrive damaged.

I’ve been sitting on these two books for a few months now in the hopes of coming up with some additional information on them.  I’ve had very little luck tracking down anything, which means pricing data is pretty non-existent.

The first book for sale at least shows up on the internet (particularly SpiderFan.org).
The second book has no internet footprint whatsoever.

I’ve submitted both books to the Grand Comics Database at comics.org and comicspriceguide.com.

First up is a really tough find.  I don’t know much about this comic other than it appears it may have been given out at the Spider-man Live! stage show back in 2002.  Maybe it was just a promotional book for the show and distributed in other ways.  I’m not really sure.

$150 $125  - Amazing Fantasy #15 (Stunt Spectacular Live variant)
VF

af15stuntfront.jpg

af15stuntrear.jpg

FWIW, the indicia on this one reads:
Amazing Fantasy Vol 1, No. 15, October 2002

If you are a completist or collector of AF 15 reprints, this is probably the toughest book to track down.

Edited by masterlogan2000
price drop

Up until this point, not even the internet knew this book existed.  If anyone has any info on this book, please feel free to share.

Like a scientist that discovers a new species, I wanted to name this book the ML2K variant, but 1) that’s probably asking too much and 2) it’s not really applicable/appropriate.

So without further ado, I’m happy to introduce to everyone....

$50 $40 - Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man #5 (Not for Resale variant)
VF

friendly-neighborhood-spider-man-5nfr-f.

friendly-neighborhood-spider-man-5nfr-r.

Edited by masterlogan2000
price drop

On 9/27/2017 at 1:26 AM, Aslpride8 said:

Not much info but it mentioned that that comic books was give out free in 40 different city for their tour from 2002-2003. 

Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_Live!

Interesting.  But am I missing something?  I don't see the reference to the comic being given out for free on tour, but I do see that the tour hit 40 different cities.

2 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Interesting.  But am I missing something?  I don't see the reference to the comic being given out for free on tour, but I do see that the tour hit 40 different cities.

It's based on the cover as it said not for sale and no price. That's what I think it's free to fans. Correct me if I am wrong on that assume statement. 

Cool books @masterlogan2000 :headbang:

As an ex Spidey completist I can tell you that the Stunt Spectacular is tough to find, but fairly well known to completists. The FNHSM#5 however is a new one on me. 7 years ago I'd have ripped your arm off for it! I see one sold on Ebay for $50 in August so you've priced it well. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Cool books @masterlogan2000 :headbang:

As an ex Spidey completist I can tell you that the Stunt Spectacular is tough to find, but fairly well known to completists. The FNHSM#5 however is a new one on me. 7 years ago I'd have ripped your arm off for it! I see one sold on Ebay for $50 in August so you've priced it well. Good luck!

Great find, @Marwood & I.  I have no idea how I missed that one!

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So how did the internet not know the 5 existed if a copy sold in August on eBay?!? 

Clearly my mistake.  I guess naming this the ML2k variant is completely off the table now. lol

Seeing as another copy had already surfaced previously, price drop on the FNSM #5 to $40.

7 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Great find, @Marwood & I.  I have no idea how I missed that one!

Clearly my mistake.  I guess naming this the ML2k variant is completely off the table now. lol

Seeing as another copy had already surfaced previously, price drop on the FNSM #5 to $40.

Ebay can be very random with its search results so dont fret! I couldn't find it anywhere else so its definitely scarce. Spidey completists are a mad bunch so you might fair well with a well titled ebay auction. Good luck. Makes me wish I still was in the hunt (thumbsu

From that Wikipedia, it stated that Kevin Shinick was a person who wrote and directed for that live show. I was able to find his website and send a message. Here's his replied...

Hey Kevin,

I’m pretty sure that was a free comic book that Marvel gave out during our run at Radio City Music Hall. Although I have no idea how many copies were made.

Hope that helps some.

Best,
Kevin

Yes, my name is Kevin and his name happen to be same as mine. :)

Now, we know it was giving out as free, but the number of copies is still unknown. If we assume that most shows usually give out at least 500 free comic books then we can look at about 20k copies. However, we know the fans may read them while eating popcorn and we can guess how many have survived in that condition. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:05 PM, Aslpride8 said:

From that Wikipedia, it stated that Kevin Shinick was a person who wrote and directed for that live show. I was able to find his website and send a message. Here's his replied...

Hey Kevin,

I’m pretty sure that was a free comic book that Marvel gave out during our run at Radio City Music Hall. Although I have no idea how many copies were made.

Hope that helps some.

Best,
Kevin

Yes, my name is Kevin and his name happen to be same as mine. :)

Now, we know it was giving out as free, but the number of copies is still unknown. If we assume that most shows usually give out at least 500 free comic books then we can look at about 20k copies. However, we know the fans may read them while eating popcorn and we can guess how many have survived in that condition. 

Now THAT is how you get things done! :applause:

Based on Kevin Shinkick's email, I'm curious if these were just given out at the Radio City Music Hall or if they were given out across the 40-city whole tour.  Regardless of popcorn stains, I'm guessing the majority of copies were simply thrown out.

Interestingly enough, the indicia does state that the comic sells for $2.25USD / $3.75 CAD.