• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is there a list of silver age key/expensive comics?

20 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I asked this in the newbie forum a couple days ago but didn't really get an answer so I figured I'd try here.

I have a lead on someone looking to sell a rubbermade container full of silver-age comics (1960s to mid 70s is what they told me). They want me to come look and make an offer. I'm wondering if someone has a list of Silver Age key comics I could study prior to meeting this person, so if I see an valuable comic I will know I can barter higher when it comes time to talk money.

Somebody suggested taking a price guide with me, but I worry the guy selling them would start looking up prices (which are usually inflated in the price guides compared to ebay) and ask for a ridiculous amount of money.  But I would like to have a list to study so if I see for example Batman 139 in decent shape I will know "okay he's asking a lot but I can sell that one comic and make back 300 bucks no problem."

Thanks!

1 minute ago, SECollector said:

Sounds like an exciting and interesting venture. 

Take a look here: http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-silver-age.html 

Thanks man. This is exactly what I'm looking for, except I want more like the top 200 most valuable (instead of 50).  A lot of those top 50 are pretty obvious, and I would spot on my own.  Even looking at this list though, I see some issues I would just breeze by. I don't read a lot of DC so Showcase #8 (first Captain Cold) wouldn't have registered to me other then in a "10 cent flash book, must be worth a little bit at least" kind of way. 

2 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Thanks man. This is exactly what I'm looking for, except I want more like the top 200 most valuable (instead of 50).  A lot of those top 50 are pretty obvious, and I would spot on my own.  Even looking at this list though, I see some issues I would just breeze by. I don't read a lot of DC so Showcase #8 (first Captain Cold) wouldn't have registered to me other then in a "10 cent flash book, must be worth a little bit at least" kind of way. 

Check the rest of their site, they have all kind of key lists and lists with issues to look for.

This other one for example:http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/marvel-comics-characters.html

It has all the key / valuable issues by character.

1 minute ago, SECollector said:

Check the rest of their site, they have all kind of key lists and lists with issues to look for.

This other one for example:http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/marvel-comics-characters.html

It has all the key / valuable issues by character.

Cool, this will work.

I was also hoping to throw together a quick list I can put on my phone so I can have a quick look at it if I'm not sure about an issue, so if anyone knows of a text-based list I'm all ears.  Thanks guys! 

A site named "lyria" breaks out the top 100 "comics to watch" on ebay for Bronze, Silver, & Golden Age etc.; if you check those lists every week for a couple of years you should be pretty dialed in to what's going on in the market for higher demand books.

https://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/index.php?age=12590&view=market&graded=0&variant=0&popular=1&lot=0

49 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Amazing Spider-Man (any 12-cent covers + 100, 101, 121, 122, 129)

Neal Adams Batman and GL

Xmen 94-130

I thought the xmen run starting at 94 had enough collectible gas to get to at least 145 (after days of future past)? 

I'm  putting that run together now and was gonna stop at 150. 

Just now, NoMan said:

I thought the xmen run starting at 94 had enough collectible gas to get to at least 145 (after days of future past)? 

That's around when I stopped.  A little past the 'prime.'  Around 2008 I got the same basic advice as you got - up through the Days of Futures Past storyline.

5 minutes ago, grebal said:

A site named "lyria" breaks out the top 100 "comics to watch" on ebay for Bronze, Silver, & Golden Age etc.; if you check those lists every week for a couple of years you should be pretty dialed in to what's going on in the market for higher demand books.

https://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/index.php?age=12590&view=market&graded=0&variant=0&popular=1&lot=0

"A couple of years?"

i wanna know everything right now, preferably with someone else doing all the heavy lifting. 

6 minutes ago, NoMan said:

"A couple of years?"

i wanna know everything right now, preferably with someone else doing all the heavy lifting. 

Haha it might seem like that's what I'm asking. I've been looking at prices on various websites but I figured maybe someone on these boards might already have a sweet list or resource for me to use. No harm in asking right?

13 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Condition will be just as important as keys. Run of the mill books in VF or better are still worth your effort. If they're falling apart and chewed up, obviously you'll be hard-pressed to move anything that's not a key.

Yeah for sure. I have no idea what to expect condition wise, but luckily that's something I can judge pretty easily once I see the books. Knowing what are the stand out valuable issues is a little more tricky. 

2 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

I confess I'd rather the good deals go to people who are already knowledgeable based on their own investment of time and love in the hobby and the artform.

I mean I've been reading comics for the past 20 years. I have a room with around 3 thousand comics in it that I've collected/read over the years. It's only over the past 6 months though that I've really started to pay attention to comic book prices in hopes that I can find some good deals, and sell those comics to fund my comic buying habit. I'm not new to comics, I'm new to buying them with the intention of selling them.

11 hours ago, grebal said:
11 hours ago, NoMan said:

That's around when I stopped.  A little past the 'prime.'  Around 2008 I got the same basic advice as you got - up through the Days of Futures Past storyline.

+1

Same jumping off point for me as I had started cherry picking them off the shelves of the LCS around issue #100 or thereabouts before going back to pick up the earlier ones as back issues.  (thumbsu

Only problem is that there must be a ton of uber HG copies of these issues out there as this was definitely by far the most highly collected title back at that time.  I really probably should take my copies out of those old poly bags, although last time I looked, they all still seem pretty pristine to me.  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Same jumping off point for me as I had started cherry picking them off the shelves of the LCS around issue #100 or thereabouts before going back to pick up the earlier ones as back issues.  (thumbsu

Only problem is that there must be a ton of uber HG copies of these issues out there as this was definitely by far the most highly collected title back at that time.  I really probably should take my copies out of those old poly bags, although last time I looked, they all still seem pretty pristine to me.  hm

i'd never read the Clairmont run and wanted to do it in comic form so I'm putting together the run up to 150. I believe that's when the writing began to diminish. Unless someone more educated chimes in (but getting off subject)

6 hours ago, Shawnismaximus said:

I mean I've been reading comics for the past 20 years. I have a room with around 3 thousand comics in it that I've collected/read over the years. It's only over the past 6 months though that I've really started to pay attention to comic book prices in hopes that I can find some good deals, and sell those comics to fund my comic buying habit. I'm not new to comics, I'm new to buying them with the intention of selling them.

What are your collecting interests?  I'm concerned that if you've been reading moderns off the rack for 20 years without venturing at all into the back issue market, you won't be able to grade the books.  Would you keep any of these for you, or are you buying a diamond mine without ever having been underground before?

4 hours ago, FineCollector said:

What are your collecting interests?  I'm concerned that if you've been reading moderns off the rack for 20 years without venturing at all into the back issue market, you won't be able to grade the books.  Would you keep any of these for you, or are you buying a diamond mine without ever having been underground before?

I mostly read Marvel. Spider-man and Daredevil in particular, like you say new off the racks. But over the years I've fleshed out my collections with back issues and I've always been on the lookout for older 12 cent Marvels. Of course it used to always be for personal reading, so I would go to comic-cons, personal sales, garage sales ect. and raid them of their cheap-but-in-bad-condition comics. I have a fairly good grip on Marvel comics and what silver age issues should be able to fetch (and know condition is key). Of course I'm sure there are some expensive issues that I would unknowingly thumb past. 

Where my knowledge is lacking would be with DC comics and other publishers and non super-hero comics. I've grabbed any cheap 60s DC super-hero comics I've found over the years, and so I have a decent idea of what the average 12 cent issue of Superboy, Batman, Superman, Flash ect. would sell for, but I need to do some research into what key issues I should be actively looking for. 

I managed to find a Key DC bronze age comic list on these forums a while ago that has proven useful, so I was hoping someone might help me out with a Silver Age one. 

Edit: I forgot to say I would be keeping some for myself, yes. Mostly any Spider-man or Daredevil issues I come across, and probably some of the 'reader' comics that are in rough shape and I wouldn't make much selling, but look like they would be a fun read. 

Edited by Shawnismaximus