• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 222 the new Batman 227

25 posts in this topic

No.  I have never understood the appeal for this book.  It's not even the real Beatles, but rather a parody.  On top of that, the cover is really nothing special compared to Adams' other books, and the story is mindbogglingly dumb to boot.  Yet, you have to consistently throw out the guide on this one as it sells for crazy prices even in low grades.

Edited by Brian48

I would have to think this one recedes as people who truly love and care about the Beatles age out of the collecting demographic. (Yes, some people die owning their collections, but many unload first.) As this happens, I would think even the Beatles' long-held magic lustre should fade somewhat. 

5 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

No.  I have never understood the appeal for this book.  It's not even the real Beatles, but rather a parody.  On top of that, the cover is really nothing special compared to Adams' other books, and the story is mindbogglingly dumb to boot.  Yet, you have to consistently throw out the guide on this one as it sells for crazy prices even in low grades.

Maybe it's because it includes a letter from Mike W. Barr! (: I don't get it either and yet the prices keep going up. Anything remoteley Beatles related gets attentio though.

Just now, Readcomix said:

I would have to think this one recedes as people who truly love and care about the Beatles age out of the collecting demographic. (Yes, some people die owning their collections, but many unload first.) As this happens, I would think even the Beatles' long-held magic lustre should fade somewhat. 

"As this happens, I would think even the Beatles' long-held magic lustre should fade somewhat."

Gotta disagree with that one. They are second only to Elvis Presley in popularity. When the Paul and Ringo go to their just reward, the Beatles money making machine will go into overdrive.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

"As this happens, I would think even the Beatles' long-held magic lustre should fade somewhat."

Gotta disagree with that one. They are second only to Elvis Presley in popularity. When the Paul and Ringo go to their just reward, the Beatles money making machine will go into overdrive.

In the short term, I agree. Over time, I expect the manufacture of new fans will be fewer and fewer. But I could be wrong. Like Brian48 said, the story is mindbogglingly dumb. It's a Beatles-based curiousity, and I sold mine effortlessly, but it isn't exactly important Batman canon, so no legs coming from that perspective. 

That said, if you're a Beatles guy, it's up there with Dell's Life of the Beatles and Gold Key's Yellow Submarine adaptation (which may well be the strangest comic I have ever read!

59 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've never been that interested in either cover-only book, compared to owning a nice Batman 232 and 251.

Yeah, same here. I love the Beatles. I love Batman. Yet I have put exactly zero effort into getting a copy of 222 for my run. 227 is only slightly higher on my list TBH, but neither one is a book I'm going to pursue as I think the prices are way out of line with the substance they offer, especially compared with meaty keys like 232, 234, 251, 'Tec 400, etc.  To me, they're more kind of niche books that seem to have gotten out of hand.

I find it interesting that it was mentioned the book was on the rise.  I haven't paid much attention to the last year sales, but I noticed the book had actually gone down on a few of comiclink's auctions in the 9.2 and 9.4 range in the past 2 years.  Of course, they don't report to GPA.  I've never "needed" to have the book because it is a parody and frankly, the cover doesn't do anything for me.  As mentioned the story blows, too. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the right copy if the price is right, but no infatuation for it like 227, 232 and 251. 

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've never been that interested in either cover-only book, compared to owning a nice Batman 232 and 251.

I felt the same way initially. In fact, Bats 232 was the book I targeted first, then Bats 251, but Bats 227 sort of grew on me really quick.   :)

RADB907F2011315_103916.jpg

15 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Maybe for a couple months. Just like when every other celebrity dies.

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Maybe for a couple months. Just like when every other celebrity dies.

'Fraid not. Yeah, there will be a run on recordings and memorabilia at 1st, but no way will the Beatles fade out. Elvis Presley is still a $150 million per year enterprise. The powers that be make sure they shake every dime out of the fans. The Beatles won't be any different. There are icons, then there are ICONS.

18 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I felt the same way initially. In fact, Bats 232 was the book I targeted first, then Bats 251, but Bats 227 sort of grew on me really quick.   :)

RADB907F2011315_103916.jpg

I collected all the Adams interiors 1st and am now working on the covers. To a degree. I keep getting distracted with other comic books I want. :whistle:

58 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I collected all the Adams interiors 1st and am now working on the covers. To a degree. I keep getting distracted with other comic books I want. :whistle:

Now ain't THAT an all-night topic! Distracting books!

Kind of related ... The Adams Batman cover that I am personally surprised is so cheap (compared to the other biggies) is #230, with him looming over the biker gang. Hauntingly cool. (Sorry, I don't have a copy to post.)

24 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Now ain't THAT an all-night topic! Distracting books!

Kind of related ... The Adams Batman cover that I am personally surprised is so cheap (compared to the other biggies) is #230, with him looming over the biker gang. Hauntingly cool. (Sorry, I don't have a copy to post.)

I always liked this cover, too. 

cMDrWHL.jpg