• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guide to all of the cool never ending threads in Comics General
2 2

39 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi all,

I thought it would be cool to make a single thread as an index of all of the ongoing contribute-forever kind of threads FROM COMICS GENERAL ONLY so people could find those cool gems. Some of them are pinned to the top, but definitely not all - there wouldn't be room!

I'm thinking that each forum could have a thread like this that gets pinned, and that might save some room at the top, while making space for more cool threads like these to be featured.

HERE IS HOW IT WORKS:

I added a tag to the threads listed below of "infinite". Because of that you can find the whole list of them AND click on the black dot to see new posts via this search:

THE INFINITE THREADS LIST!

Here are the first few that I tagged, but anyone who adds an "infinite" tag to a thread will show up in the search, so the community can add to it. This lets people easily find those threads without always having to scroll past them at the top.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

A thread that lists all of the threads already stickied at the top. Ingenious.

1.jpg

The point would be to unsticky a number of those threads and take up less front page real-estate.

What usually happens in these situations, though, is that if I make a post like this, solicit feedback, wait a few days and just do it --- it turns out that a bunch of people didn't read the thread and feel that they didn't have a chance to speak up. So often I will let some solutions co-exist to see how the community reacts over a longer period of time. If the feedback is clear and one-sided, I'll make the change quickly. If it's sparse and/or controversial, I'll leave it a while to see how things play out.

2 hours ago, Architecht said:

The point would be to unsticky a number of those threads and take up less front page real-estate.

What usually happens in these situations, though, is that if I make a post like this, solicit feedback, wait a few days and just do it --- it turns out that a bunch of people didn't read the thread and feel that they didn't have a chance to speak up. So often I will let some solutions co-exist to see how the community reacts over a longer period of time. If the feedback is clear and one-sided, I'll make the change quickly. If it's sparse and/or controversial, I'll leave it a while to see how things play out.

That was not mentioned anywhere, but I would be all for that.

If the intent of this thread is to push up current threads in CG then I'd suggest that the better way would be to eliminate the sub-forum with CGC announcements (already on the right hand side), movie discussions (give it it's own sub-forum - bring newbie stuff back into general) and the personal announcement area should be dispersed into CG with birthday threads outlawed (or create a group PM for the six people who post in them)

Or don't....

782e9250-af21-0132-9a1d-0e01949ad350.gif?w=740&h=411&fit=max&auto=format

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Is there a way to go to the unread content using this links above? if not-- this is not a good alternative for me.

Great point.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/262409-current-turn-around-rates-at-cgc/?do=getNewComment

If you right click the bullet/star and then copy link address it gives you the above hyperlink which is how the earlier links should be created. 

In my example I chose to not use the auto created preview panel that the boards give you & left it as a hyperlink to show what it looks like.

Whether it works properly or not, who knows.  Whether people will create the links like this or not, doubtful.

The only problem with the idea of this thread @Architecht is that we can't skip to the last unread post using this thread over pinned threads ....

Anyway, if it's the way it must be, my recommendation is : 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I can't see that the actions you have taken so far are in line with your comments above Arch? You have removed the stickies, created the new 'Our Picks' section but left it with only one thread in it ('Show us your personal artwork'). You took those actions some days back, based only on suggestions from me and jsilverjanet, and therefore haven't waited to see how the community would react - you just went ahead and introduced a change no one asked for at a time when people have been much more concerned with performance issues. Come on Arch, raise your game buddy.

Less scrolling to get to new posts has been a hot button issue for quite a while and has been often requested in the past.

This was an easy change. Easy to do, easy to test, easy to put back. Doing experiments on board organization is how we improve things.

I took actions based on my judgement, and limited feedback. When people don't respond much one way or the other after a couple of weeks, we have a few choices:

1. Leave the feedback thread up for a while longer
  2. Forget the change
  3. Make the change and see how it works out

Which we choose to do depends on how sensible the change seems, and how risky it seems to try it. In this case, it makes good sense, opens up room to highlight other threads without stickying crazy numbers of threads to the top, and is easy to undo.

In the meantime, performance is a different scale of issue that isn't comparable in terms who or what it takes to address. It's a little like saying we should stop brushing our teeth until we get our clogged arteries fixed. Yes, the clogged arteries are a priority, but we should still practice good hygiene since it doesn't impact how we fix the clogged arteries one way or the other.

Performance is being addressed, but it's entangled with some of the rest of the technical infrastructure. The board software vendor wants us to arrange things in ways that are convenient for them, but worse in a number of ways (SEO, international performance, etc.). We're seeking better solutions, but that will take some time to work through.

By the way, I'm likely to remove a bunch of these posts after this change as settled out, as we're WAY off topic for the thread, Marwood. Please try not to bundle off-topic questions into stickied threads with a particular purpose.

• Administrator
On 10/14/2017 at 12:21 PM, 01TheDude said:

Is there a way to go to the unread content using this links above? if not-- this is not a good alternative for me.

Good point. I revised the approach. If you check out the first post on this thread, you will now find a link that shows you all of those threads, and allows you to click on the black dot to jump to new posts. Basically, if you add an "infinite" tag to a post, it will show up in that link.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/search/?&type=forums_topic&tags=infinite