• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to expect when selling on the forum?

7 posts in this topic

I have a modest collection of about 60 comics of the 50s/60s for sale. These include: Marvel, DC, Dell (several 4-colors and Westerns), Gold Key, Harvey, and some misc (Dennis the Menace, Air Boy).

I've used the grading on a few, to try to help me with grading, to the best of my ability, and used the price charts, to help set prices for what I plan to sell. I've seen descriptions vary and the grading overlap. I've tried numerous online sites, and have been told they're not worth much, and not worth getting graded, so I would be selling these "officially as raw."

I'm not expecting them to sell at top dollar, as I believe most to be between 2.0 - 5.5 (with a few maybe at 6.0 - 6.5). What I want to know is, how well can I expect from here, or anywhere else I'm looking to sell, to come close to the "graded value?"

Post the books in the grading section and go by the grades people give them, then contribute to the boards for awhile. People who simply come here trying to sell books don't do as well as folks who are active contributors.

On most books, and on most sites, don't expect to get Overstreet value. Exceptions would be key books but the stuff you listed-Dell, Gold Key is not very desirable, with some exceptions.

16 hours ago, allstarr said:

I have a modest collection of about 60 comics of the 50s/60s for sale. These include: Marvel, DC, Dell (several 4-colors and Westerns), Gold Key, Harvey, and some misc (Dennis the Menace, Air Boy).

I've used the grading on a few, to try to help me with grading, to the best of my ability, and used the price charts, to help set prices for what I plan to sell. I've seen descriptions vary and the grading overlap. I've tried numerous online sites, and have been told they're not worth much, and not worth getting graded, so I would be selling these "officially as raw."

I'm not expecting them to sell at top dollar, as I believe most to be between 2.0 - 5.5 (with a few maybe at 6.0 - 6.5). What I want to know is, how well can I expect from here, or anywhere else I'm looking to sell, to come close to the "graded value?"

Why don't you post a group picture here so we can get a better idea. Lay them out on a table, take a pic or two, and use the 'choose files' link below (next to the paperclip). I wouldn't expect price guide value for low grade Westerns and Dennis the Menace type books. Unless you have some desirable 'hero' type books in there, these will probably be a tough sell. Sounds like you have already shopped them around to be told they are not worth much. If so, I don't think you will fare much better here. Sorry.

Ebay completed sales will give you the best idea of FMV. That can range a bit for books where there are multiple sales, even dismissing the assigned grades given by sellers, which can vary wildly. You can frequently find a sale for a clearly no better than GD copy that matches the price of a VG/F appearing copy from some one else. Selling on the boards eliminates the ebay percentage (allowing you to pass the savings on in the form of reduced prices), and allows for flexibility in making deals, especially when someone is interested in buying multiple books. Don't be surprised if there is little interest in some of the less collected stuff though, but you ever know what boardies are looking for.

I agree with all above. I do think the type of stuff you have posted, priced to move, will move. If it's al from that era, use the Gold/Silver/Bronze forum. But of all the good advice above (and it's all good) I would start with Shadroch's two main points about getting established here and getting some grading feedback on the Buddy Can you spare A Grade section. Good luck and wttb!