• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip A Dee Doo Dah....MLJ Zip comics 8-35 finished!

117 posts in this topic

Howdy folks

here is a run I started many years ago. Was visiting electron in Minnesota and he turned me onto zips. I bought the mile high 32-34 from verzyl when he broke the run years ago, but sold them to "downgrade" 

slowly picked them up here and there as I've had opportunities. Have a few high grades but mostly low grade copies 

what a fun run to collect

as with any run, couldn't have done it without friends   

In fact, the last issue I needed a friend "gave" to me so I could complete  

Like the centaur thread, will post one a day. Have many I want to upgrade, but for now, it is what it is!

IMG_5615.JPG

Edited by G.A.tor

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I stop the run at 35....no real interest in the late 30's and 40's...too "cartoony" in general for me (Interiors weaken as well, I believe)

Great Run Rick I look very much forward to this as I did the Centaur thread!! I am in total agreement because what a fun run and I also tend to agree that #8 is the start of the great covers. The 3 sticks out in the first 7 issues imo because it has the woman in peril and a robot and who doesn't like that. After and including issue 8 almost all the covers include the woman in peril or WWII theme which are so sought after in the GA market because lets face it they are just flat out cool. The other part of this run and this era of of MLJ in general is some of those splash pages they are just too neat. I don't eat popcorn but if I did I would have a bag right now :)

7 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Rick, which issues in your run were the toughest to find?  Many of them are seldom seen.

13, 19,21 were the toughest for me (last 3 I needed)

The really cool war issues (30-34) seem to be available periodically

24 seems to be the most abundant!

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Issue 9 is pretty derned popular. Mine has a little face but happy to have nonetheless 

29D8D9AE-03CB-4570-BC11-77652B284561.jpeg

...I actually like this one better than the 8...if that's possible. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 minutes ago, buttock said:

Here's a shot a buddy and I put together a few years back.  Not sure how many have been added to our collections since.  

IMG_5989.JPG

Sell me some upgrades!