• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spawn #220 20th Anniversary Collector's Issue

16 posts in this topic

Hello @Spawn1709

A quick look on ebay shows a 9.6 sold for $50 and an 8.0 for only $12. 

Your pictures aren't as clear as they could be, but your copy looks around a 9.0 at best from what I can see. So I personally wouldn't bother getting it graded if you have resale value in mind. 

Happy hunting (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello @Spawn1709

A quick look on ebay shows a 9.6 sold for $50 and an 8.0 for only $12. 

Your pictures aren't as clear as they could be, but your copy looks around a 9.0 at best from what I can see. So I personally wouldn't bother getting it graded if you have resale value in mind. 

Happy hunting (thumbsu

Thanks for the reply!

There's a 9.8 on ebay, but the seller wants something insane like $400. 

13 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

Thanks for the reply!

There's a 9.8 on ebay, but the seller wants something insane like $400. 

You're welcome. Find yourself a raw 9.8 in the wild instead. More fun :headbang:

1. Don't grade it. Don't press it. Not worth it. Sorry.

2. Wait for a copy at the right price. GPA says this is about a $100 book in CGC 9.8.

3. This is a limited edition comic. 2500 copies.

4. There are 31 graded copies (9.8) on the census. Five of those are signature series and one of those (signed by Todd McFarlane) sold a few months ago for $350.

3 hours ago, newshane said:

1. Don't grade it. Don't press it. Not worth it. Sorry.

2. Wait for a copy at the right price. GPA says this is about a $100 book in CGC 9.8.

3. This is a limited edition comic. 2500 copies.

4. There are 31 graded copies (9.8) on the census. Five of those are signature series and one of those (signed by Todd McFarlane) sold a few months ago for $350.

Yeah, definitely not grading this one. I bought another one, should be here in a couple of weeks. Do you think the book is worth $350 US for a 9.8? Your the Spawn expert and I only recently got into Spawn, so I'm going to ask you :) 

26 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

Yeah, definitely not grading this one. I bought another one, should be here in a couple of weeks. Do you think the book is worth $350 US for a 9.8? Your the Spawn expert and I only recently got into Spawn, so I'm going to ask you :) 

Well, GPA is a good starting reference point, and I'd have to agree that it's about $100 or a tad bit more in CGC 9.8. So is it worth $350? Not in my opinion. Even if it were signed, I think that's a little high. Personally, I'd crack it out and get Todd to sign it for an extra $100 or so before I'd plop down $350. Yeah, you'd run the risk of a grade-drop...but I'm just saying what I would do. It IS a tough book thanks to the black cover. That's what makes Spawn so challenging. TOUGH covers.

As a disclaimer, I own a 9.8 blue label of this book.

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

Well, GPA is a good starting reference point, and I'd have to agree that it's about $100 or a tad bit more in CGC 9.8. So is it worth $350? Not in my opinion. Even if it were signed, I think that's a little high. Personally, I'd crack it out and get Todd to sign it for an extra $100 or so before I'd plop down $350. Yeah, you'd run the risk of a grade-drop...but I'm just saying what I would do. It IS a tough book thanks to the black cover. That's what makes Spawn so challenging. TOUGH covers.

As a disclaimer, I own a 9.8 blue label of this book.

Thanks for the reply. Bought a raw one on eBay a couple days ago for about $20 Canadian. Looks like a 9.8, but we'll see. By the way, I have another Spawn book that I was thinking of getting graded. The book is in perfect condition except for 1/32 inch spine break. How much is that going to affect the book grades wise?

Book is a Spawn #233 1:25 retailer incentive. Book is even more rare than this one (about only 600 copies exist).

Edited by Spawn1709

51 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

The book is in perfect condition except for 1/32 inch spine break. How much is that going to affect the book grades wise?

Depends. Does the "spine break" break color? According to Overstreet standards, color break is not allowed in 9.8 or 9.6. "Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break" are allowed in 9.6. They also say that no stress lines are allowed in this grade.

They allow up to a 1/16 bend in 9.4 as long as it doesn't break color and permit books with "almost no (stress) lines" in this grade.

This assumes that the rest of the book is in "perfect condition" as mentioned. It's just hard to say without having the book in hand. It all depends on how nasty that flaw looks.

I should also mention that Overstreet standards are not exactly congruent with CGC standards. During periods of looser grading, I've seen 9.8s with a color-breaking spine tic or two. From all accounts, I think they've really tightened up over the last few years, and I'm more cautious than ever when submitting books for a 9.8. Anything less than what I'd describe as nearly perfect is a crapshoot, and my definition of "nearly perfect" does not allow for any sort of stress line and a non-color-breaking indention is also pushing it, even if the book is perfectly flat and the corners are sharp.

If grade is important to you, I suggest buying CGC graded comics.

Hope this helps and good luck!

* * * EDIT: I'm flipping through the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics and there is another chart (pg. 25) that counts a 1/32 inch defect as "slight and subtle" and it accounts for one defect, which could allow an otherwise perfect book to grade a 9.8. According to their chart (pg. 24), you can have up to two defects in the grade of 9.8 * * * SOURCE: THE OVERSTREET GUIDE TO GRADING COMICS (2016)

Edited by newshane

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Depends. Does the "spine break" break color? According to Overstreet standards, color break is not allowed in 9.8 or 9.6. "Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break" are allowed in 9.6. They also say that no stress lines are allowed in this grade.

They allow up to a 1/16 bend in 9.4 as long as it doesn't break color and permit books with "almost no (stress) lines" in this grade.

This assumes that the rest of the book is in "perfect condition" as mentioned. It's just hard to say without having the book in hand. It all depends on how nasty that flaw looks.

I should also mention that Overstreet standards are not exactly congruent with CGC standards. During periods of looser grading, I've seen 9.8s with a color-breaking spine tic or two. From all accounts, I think they've really tightened up over the last few years, and I'm more cautious than ever when submitting books for a 9.8. Anything less than what I'd describe as nearly perfect is a crapshoot, and my definition of "nearly perfect" does not allow for any sort of stress line and a non-color-breaking indention is also pushing it, even if the book is perfectly flat and the corners are sharp.

If grade is important to you, I suggest buying CGC graded comics.

Hope this helps and good luck!

* * * EDIT: I'm flipping through the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics and there is another chart (pg. 25) that counts a 1/32 inch defect as "slight and subtle" and it accounts for one defect, which could allow an otherwise perfect book to grade a 9.8. According to their chart (pg. 24), you can have up to two defects in the grade of 9.8 * * * SOURCE: THE OVERSTREET GUIDE TO GRADING COMICS (2016)

Ok, thank you. I think when it comes to my Spawn collection, I'll probably just by the HTF books already slabbed. Thanks Newshane!