• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is your "favourite grade" for a silver age book?
3 3

34 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Overvalued translates to overpriced by how much?  Would you estimate 20%?  If so, a $400 book would be about $80 higher than it should be.  Still not that bad.  If you are talking 50% or more, that adds up...but the highest bumps would occur in the high grades, which I don't get to much.

I was thinking 4.0 myself for the lower end, until I opened my ASM 11 (4.5) that showed up yesterday.  If this book is typical of 4.5's then 4.0 is the lowest I would go for sure.  The 4.5 has a bit of a water stain on the back, and a small piece out of the front at the top left corner.  It almost looks overgraded.

Was the ASM 11 CGC graded, or just graded by the seller?

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Was the ASM 11 CGC graded, or just graded by the seller?

CGC graded. The redeeming factor is that the cover, other than the small missing piece, has the general appeal of a 6.0, so I guess that makes up for it. Maybe I am focusing too much on the piece and the back cover stain and not enough on the rest. 

Edited by Spidey 62

Just now, Spidey 62 said:

CGC graded. The redeeming factor is that the cover, other than the small missing piece, has the general appeal of a 6.0, so I guess that makes up for it. Maybe I am focusing too much on the piece an the back cover stain and not enough on the rest. 

I think a lot of collectors look at the front cover only to determine the grade.  We need to remember that grading includes the whole book, and there are many variations of give and take depending on defects.  I just try to find copies that present well...and I don't stress over some small back cover defect, or small piece missing.  Spine stress lines don't bother me much, but i really dislike creases that break color.

4 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I have tiers, mostly based on budget. These are my collection goals, not necessarily what I have (yet).

Mega Keys (Hulk 1, AF15): 4.0

SA/BA Keys: 8.0

CA/Modern: 9.6/9.8

I have some exceptions. Eye appeal is everything when it comes down to it. I'd prefer to get 5.0s as my Mega Key minimum, but I'd never be able to afford them. 

I like nice, round numbers on my CGC books. Probably some latent OCD thing. .5s make my eye twitch lol

I thought I was the only one who didn't like .5's - I usually much prefer a 6.0 to 6.5.  Glad I am not alone on this (my one exception is a 9.0 as I MUCH prefer a 9.2)

As for minimum grades it partly depends on the scarcity of the book - ie the more abundant the key the higher grade I like to have (think of a key book like FF48 for example). 

On mega keys I actually prefer lower grade copies in the 1.0-4.0 range - I like my mega keys to look like they have been enjoyed. Of course it is also a budget factor on the mega keys ?

For me, cost always is a factor (ie I'm willing to accept lesser grade on an AF15, for example, than I would on an ASM 100). 

In general though, 7.0-9.0 has always been a pretty nice "sweet spot".  Great looking books at a fraction of the UHG price. 

That range seems to be the best bang for my buck.   

You can make your head explode and wind up homeless, if all you did was hold out for the VF or better comics from the Silver Age.  While it is always best to buy the highest possible grade, budget and eye appeal have me around the FN- to  FN+ range. 

I live by this guide, just my personal Opinion.

1960 - 1966 9.0 - 9.2 w/ several exceptions (Mega keys) as low as 2.0 (e.g. AF #15, Hulk 1, X-Men #1, ST #110, FF #1, etc. etc.)

1967 - 1974 9.2 - 9.6

1975 - 1981 9.6 - 9.8 w/ exceptions as low as 9.2 (e.g. Giant size x-men #1, X-men 101, X-Men #94, etc.)

1982 - present 9.8 only w/ few exceptions as low as 9.4 (e.g. TMNT #1, Albedo #2, Spider-man #300, TWD #1, etc.)

Edited by 1p36DSA