• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressing
1 1

6 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Texcorpsman said:

if the answer is to press ......should it be a full press or quick press or an indepenedant presser

Only press if the book can be improved with a press. IMO, a quick press is worthless. Please don't ask us to recommend a presser. In poor taste to our Host.

On 9/30/2017 at 6:46 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Only press if the book can be improved with a press. IMO, a quick press is worthless. Please don't ask us to recommend a presser. In poor taste to our Host.

A quick press worked for me but with mixed results.  I had 6 DC reprints and  that were all wavy through the whole book. I sent them in with some others for quickpress and grading.  Well when I sent them the corners were all sharp and no other defects but the waves. I got them back. 3 of them came back 9.8's the other 3 were ruined by the pressing. the 3 that were ruined all had damage at lower staple area. They came back 9.0 9.2 and 9.6 due to damage.  But all are wave free!  So the QP did work.  Just watch out.  If whatever presser you are using puts too much pressure on your books they will end up like those 3 did.  No other comics were ruined and quickpress drastically improved some of them.  One of my books came back a 9.8 that I thought best case would come back 9.4.  That book was older.  The quickpress worked really good on most! I sent in a Hero for Hire 1 Express press once also. That came out the exact grade I figured it would.  QP seemed to worked just about as well as the $85 option did.  I'll keep using QP for cheaper titles that need it and would suggest the service to others. I'm sticking with CCS and have sent in 6 more of the same DC reprints to CCS for pressing/grading.  They are there right now.  If they come back all messed up this time, my opinion might change.  If you are worried about a book being ruined have it prescreened or don't have it pressed, If you don't prefer CCS go somewhere else, and if you have a $10000 book watch whoever presses it press it.  That's my opinion/advise.

Edited by Konrad5288

The trouble with a Quick Press is, in time, what it fixed may return. Short term, you may get the grade you want but long term it will revert in the slab. This is sometimes why we see over graded books in slabs. At the time the graders saw the book, it looked good. Later, not so much.