• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it smart to hold or sell my cgc 9.8 powers #1

14 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, adampasz said:

It has basically crashed since hitting highs in 2015. 

I don't see much upside long-term. You don't hear much about Bendis anymore these days either. But who knows. 

:gossip: ever hear of a show called Jessica Jones?

All the books that get hot due to TV shows follow the exact same formula - they reach peak value before the show airs, drop at soon as the show is on the air, and either fall back to their previous levels or stay at a slightly-higher "new normal" value depending on how long the show remains on air & whether the show is any good.

Powers was a terrible show & got cancelled after 2 seasons, so, yeah, adampasz is 100% right in claiming zero upside on this book.

Thanks for all the input guys. Yea i loved the comic and the show was okay, i figured the 3rd season would be good but they canceled the show. I had no interest in selling to make cash off the book as i like d it, but with the show failing, i probably should of sold it when i could.  

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

:gossip: ever hear of a show called Jessica Jones?

Yeah. I thought it was a really good show show. I'm not sure how much Bendis was directly involved in it though. Also, it's notable that it was released in 2015, the same year Powers #1 hit its peak.

My comment was more in regards to Bendis' presence in comics these days. Interest in his work seems to have cooled off a lot compared to 5 or 10 years ago. 

So... returning to the original question of whether there is an upside to Powers... what I'm saying is that I'm not seeing what would drive it.
An amazing Jessica Jones Season 2? 
A renewed interest in Bendis's writing?
A Powers movie?

8 hours ago, adampasz said:

Yeah. I thought it was a really good show show. I'm not sure how much Bendis was directly involved in it though. Also, it's notable that it was released in 2015, the same year Powers #1 hit its peak.

My comment was more in regards to Bendis' presence in comics these days. Interest in his work seems to have cooled off a lot compared to 5 or 10 years ago. 

So... returning to the original question of whether there is an upside to Powers... what I'm saying is that I'm not seeing what would drive it.
An amazing Jessica Jones Season 2? 
A renewed interest in Bendis's writing?
A Powers movie?

Jessica Jones had a new Marvel series by Bendis that started last year.

Season 2 of Jessica Jones Netflix show is filming now and comes out in 2018. Bendis is a writer for the show.

JJ series is a passion project that sells In the 20ks.  That's great for Bendis and his fans because, with those numbers, he can keep writing it for a long long time.   But, it seems like the days when he is spearheading the Marvel universe have passed.

I really liked the JJ Netflix show but response was somewhat mixed. Also IMO these shows are losing steam. Even the Defenders, which I was excited about, has been underwhelming.

And even if JJ season two does really well I'm not seeing how that leads to a significant change in the value of the powers number one.  There needs to be some bigger event to move the price. Maybe someone like Amazon or Netflix  steps in and re-boots powers. Or maybe a hot director will option it for a movie. Or maybe Bendis will  jump to DC  And start writing Batman and the JLA.