• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a way to remove slight color touch to a comic spine if it doesn't bleed through?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I have been chasing a nice Donald Duck 26 for a while and thought I finally got one off ebay - -  Then when it showed up, someone had colored in some creases on the spine...

Most of these have some kind of color breaking crease on the cover so was thrilled to find one that presented THIS nice, but the pen marks really sucks. I know ZERO about comic resto, but is there a way to remove these little color touch ups?  Ug - SUPER bummed about this. Not a high dollar book but I have been hunting for a nice one for a LONG time :(

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

They can only be scraped off if they haven't bled through - have a look inside and see. But I agree that scraped comics look awful too.

Your best shot is to return it to the seller. Too bad, as I know you really want one of these.

3 minutes ago, AJD said:

They can only be scraped off if they haven't bled through - have a look inside and see. But I agree that scraped comics look awful too.

Your best shot is to return it to the seller. Too bad, as I know you really want one of these.

It literally kills me to return this because the rest of the cover is so nice - I was going to just get it pressed and stick it in a mylar but I have raging OCD and my eyes will be drawn to this every time!  I may see if I can do a partial refund and keep it for now while I contemplate the removal.  Im more frustrated than anything.  The book only set me back 50$ but its more the disappointment after such a search!

1 hour ago, TylerHam said:

It literally kills me to return this because the rest of the cover is so nice - I was going to just get it pressed and stick it in a mylar but I have raging OCD and my eyes will be drawn to this every time!  I may see if I can do a partial refund and keep it for now while I contemplate the removal.  Im more frustrated than anything.  The book only set me back 50$ but its more the disappointment after such a search!

I really hope not! :o

12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think they are literally scraped off. Personally, I hate the look of scraped off color touch. It would bug me more than the CT. 

Agreed. Though in this case the CT is a mismatch, and the spine has other color breaks, so it probably wouldn't be as bad. The cost of the book doesn't really warrant the effort though. What bugs me is when someone takes a nice looking midgrade book with hard to see CT, and has it removed, ending up with a book 3 grade increments lower, that has basically been restored to an "unrestored" state but is less attractive. Unfortunately, the value differences the collecting community places on the two states makes such resto removal economically attractive some times.

I talked to the seller who (and I have no reason to not believe him) said he probably did this 30+ years ago....

If its old color touch, does CGC just consider it damage, or is it still resto?  IE: like if someone wrote $1.00 on the cover with a black pen - Its added ink, but not restoration?

Sorry for all the questions for a low value book, Im trying to learn how this all works as a new-ish collector too!

Its just color touch period.  Slight color touch is far more accepted than it used to be by collectors if no other work has been done. (lots of amateurs/kids did this back in the day before word got out that it is NOT a good thing)!  :)   If you really want the book, just keep it as is, as long as its not a major key, no big deal.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:18 PM, Westy Steve said:

So just to be devil's advocate here, isn't there some kind of solvent that could potentially take off the color touch without ruining the book?

Has anyone ever used rubbing alcohol?

Yes, I’m curious as well. If no Bleed through maybe it will come off.

Edited by faster friends

2 hours ago, faster friends said:

Yes, I’m curious as well. If no Bleed through mane it will come off.

While some solvents will remove slight color touch, in many cases there is bleed through and the affected area has to be physically removed. The use of solvents should be left to those who know what they are doing. If it is a beater book and you want to experiment, that's fine, but the time and money invested into that type of work, would be better spent buying a nicer copy of the book.