• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Cubes Review
3 3

47 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Turtle said:

Thanks for posting!  I've been curious about these for a few years.  Do they offer different colors?  Also, how are the tracks for the drawers?  Smooth?  Loud?  Auto-shut?

And +1 for HotFlips.  I love their flip & stick bags.  They make the slabs look SO much better than the default bags CGC uses.

They have a variety of types for the colors. As for the drawers, I find them very smooth. No auto-shut but there is no resistance opening and closing them.

That is somewhat like what i built but i built locks into it. I keep it in my closet so its not as fancy though. ill try to post a pic, i posted it in the comic room thread a year ago or so but i cant find it.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, Ryanfromottawa said:

They do not ship to Canada ?

I had a local cabinet maker make a couple for me, it was cheaper than the op's manufacturer and I paid cash with no taxes or shipping. Pretty much any experienced cabinet maker would consider this a no-brainer to make. Here's a vid of mine. Had plans to have a multi draw one made up but never got to it yet, I'm not a slabber, so this one fits regular books, the other one fits the few slabs I have. Soft close drawers are nice too

1 hour ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I had a local cabinet maker make a couple for me, it was cheaper than the op's manufacturer and I paid cash with no taxes or shipping. Pretty much any experienced cabinet maker would consider this a no-brainer to make. Here's a vid of mine. Had plans to have a multi draw one made up but never got to it yet, I'm not a slabber, so this one fits regular books, the other one fits the few slabs I have. Soft close drawers are nice too

Really nice drawer and AWESOME spideys (thumbsu

I love the comic cube!  I had stopped by their booth a few years ago at a show.  While I find the piece to of high quality, I wondered if I could find anyone local to me.  But they do specialize in the cubes and understand the sizing requirements.  There are cabinet makers on etsy that will also do custom work.   But I still have mine in white boxes stuffed in my closet.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:23 PM, FN-2199 said:

From the pictures, you can tell they are using premium 3/4" hardwood plywood for the drawers. You'll never find that at Ikea. Heck, try to find any furniture that isn't made of particle board nowadays.

The drawers are 1/2" baltic birch plywood. I'd venture an educated guess and say the actual cabinet is made of MDF.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I see them now that I'm on my laptop, on my phone it was hard to see. Definitely looks better with those kinds of bags as the plastic is "clearer", and they present better with the label being more identifiable. I didn't know where to get those, so Hotflips... good to know 

Yes the mylar bags with the seal in back are the best. They're barely noticeable when taking pictures of the books

@NamesJay

Thanks again for sharing this post!  I'm heading down the path of upgrading my comic storage situation and my internet search brought me back to this post from late 2017. 

I wanted to follow up now that you've owned it for 18 months or so.  How do you like it now?  Is it holding up structurally?  Has there been any sagging or creaking?  Are the drawers still smooth?  Is there anything you wish was done differently (more drawers? fewer drawers? different finish?). 

I sent an e-mail to the makers last night to ask a few questions, but the perspective of an customer/collector holds a lot of weight. 

These guys are now extra appealing to me considering they are based less than 90 minutes from me, which could save me a considerable amount of money in freight if I can pick it up myself. 

When you get time, I'd love to read your thoughts.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Turtle said:

@NamesJay

Thanks again for sharing this post!  I'm heading down the path of upgrading my comic storage situation and my internet search brought me back to this post from late 2017. 

I wanted to follow up now that you've owned it for 18 months or so.  How do you like it now?  Is it holding up structurally?  Has there been any sagging or creaking?  Are the drawers still smooth?  Is there anything you wish was done differently (more drawers? fewer drawers? different finish?). 

I sent an e-mail to the makers last night to ask a few questions, but the perspective of an customer/collector holds a lot of weight. 

These guys are now extra appealing to me considering they are based less than 90 minutes from me, which could save me a considerable amount of money in freight if I can pick it up myself. 

When you get time, I'd love to read your thoughts.  Thanks!

The furniture has held up great. I haven't noticed any deterioration at all.

If I had it to do over again, I'd see if they had a  5 x 2 option, but that's just because it would cover up more of my wall and give me more space on top for larger statues that won't fit in my dedicate status cabinets

I actually inquired about another piece but they had a very long backlog so I passed. I might try again in a couple months.

2 hours ago, NamesJay said:

The furniture has held up great. I haven't noticed any deterioration at all.

If I had it to do over again, I'd see if they had a  5 x 2 option, but that's just because it would cover up more of my wall and give me more space on top for larger statues that won't fit in my dedicate status cabinets

I actually inquired about another piece but they had a very long backlog so I passed. I might try again in a couple months.

Thanks!  Glad to hear you're enjoying it.