• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preferred Auction House (as a seller)

Preferred Auction House (as a seller)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which company do you prefer when sending graded comics for auction?

• Heritage Auctions
    • Comic Connect
    • Comiclink
    • My Comic Shop
    • Ebay
    • Other

9 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Black_Adam said:

Which company do you prefer when sending comics for auction?

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on the genre of the book. I didn't even know My Comic Shop has an auction.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on the genre of the book. I didn't even know My Comic Shop has an auction.

MCS has always had weekly auctions, but apparently they also have Prime Auctions? I guess that is supposed to be for better material (one is running this week).

Not sure what you mean by genre? You mean raw vs graded? Or Superhero vs westerns? Golden Age vs. Modern variants?

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Not sure what you mean by genre? You mean raw vs graded? Or Superhero vs westerns? Golden Age vs. Modern variants?

I guess I was thinking along the lines of Golden Age vs Moderns type of genre. However, the more I think about it I think price point is most important.  I think the different auction houses have somewhat different audiences.  Comiclink is great for your affordable to 10K range but if I had a 100K book I would probably choose Heritage. E-Bay is good for raws and affordable stuff. I find it difficult to answer the poll as is since there is no one size fits all. Maybe you can qualify the poll a little more ? 

53 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I guess I was thinking along the lines of Golden Age vs Moderns type of genre. However, the more I think about it I think price point is most important.  I think the different auction houses have somewhat different audiences.  Comiclink is great for your affordable to 10K range but if I had a 100K book I would probably choose Heritage. E-Bay is good for raws and affordable stuff. I find it difficult to answer the poll as is since there is no one size fits all. Maybe you can qualify the poll a little more ? 

Great input, I've adjusted the poll to read CGC graded comics with a value of less than $10k.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Black_Adam said:

Which company do you prefer when sending comics for auction?

As a yardstick, let's say CGC graded comics with a value of $10k or less...

$10K encompasses a ton of books.  For me, a smaller range of value would help make my decision, e.g., I might throw a single graded GA/SA slab on Ebay with a value of $250 or less or so.  Also, for me it would depend on how many books I am consigning or listing at one time.  Auction houses may may discount consignor fees depending on the quality and quanity of the listings, especially for slabbed books.  If I were to have something like that, I would shop it around to see where I might get the best bang for my buck.  Also I would want to know what type of auction it would be in - HA has Signature and Weekly, CC and CL have their Monthly and Event type auctions.  I would assume that decision is predicated on quality, quanity, relationship with the auction house, etc. as the featured, signature auctions would get at least more publicity I assume since a catalog is printed and shipped to potential buyers.

In all, at least with the 3 big ones HA, CC, and CL - I think quality tends to rise no matter which venue.  But you look at sites like Proxibid and Live Auctioneers and they too command strong prices - Weiss auctions often brings quality books to auction and uses those plus their site to allow live bidding,

4 hours ago, telerites said:

$10K encompasses a ton of books.  For me, a smaller range of value would help make my decision, e.g., I might throw a single graded GA/SA slab on Ebay with a value of $250 or less or so.  Also, for me it would depend on how many books I am consigning or listing at one time.  Auction houses may may discount consignor fees depending on the quality and quanity of the listings, especially for slabbed books.  If I were to have something like that, I would shop it around to see where I might get the best bang for my buck.  Also I would want to know what type of auction it would be in - HA has Signature and Weekly, CC and CL have their Monthly and Event type auctions.  I would assume that decision is predicated on quality, quanity, relationship with the auction house, etc. as the featured, signature auctions would get at least more publicity I assume since a catalog is printed and shipped to potential buyers.

In all, at least with the 3 big ones HA, CC, and CL - I think quality tends to rise no matter which venue.  But you look at sites like Proxibid and Live Auctioneers and they too command strong prices - Weiss auctions often brings quality books to auction and uses those plus their site to allow live bidding,

Again, more great input. Assuming the majority of graded comics in any auction are in the $3k or less range, let's use that as the new yardstick instead.

Looks like Comiclink has taken an early lead...

20 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Again, more great input. Assuming the majority of graded comics in any auction are in the $3k or less range, let's use that as the new yardstick instead.

Looks like Comiclink has taken an early lead...

Realize that by having such a low tier of 3K, it automatically puts Heritage out of the running.  Folks don't list low priced books on Heritage. I'm sorry, I just don't think this poll is going to prove anything. Let's say Comiclink wins, what do you extract from that ? Does it mean Comiclink is the best auction house ? I think Heritage fans would challenge that. I noticed the poll does not have much participation either. With so little data, I don't see the results being pertinent at all. Sorry. I applaud the attempt but I don't think it's working.

27 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Realize that by having such a low tier of 3K, it automatically puts Heritage out of the running.  Folks don't list low priced books on Heritage. I'm sorry, I just don't think this poll is going to prove anything. Let's say Comiclink wins, what do you extract from that ? Does it mean Comiclink is the best auction house ? I think Heritage fans would challenge that. I noticed the poll does not have much participation either. With so little data, I don't see the results being pertinent at all. Sorry. I applaud the attempt but I don't think it's working.

I wasn't hoping to prove anything with this poll, just hoping to get some simple feedback on boardies' preferred auction house when selling their comics (this wasn't meant to be a poll to determine the best auction house) in case I decide to send any of my own slabs to auction (none of them worth more than $3k).

I thought the anonymity of a poll might get more feedback than just asking the question, and hoped a few participants might opt to share the reasons for their preference (customer service, results, etc).

But you're right - it didn't work.