• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2018 -- It's still Never too Early, October 4-7
2 2

56 posts in this topic

I haven't been to a comic book convention since the early 90's.  Just recently returned to the hobby after over 25 years away and I want to go to NYCC specifically to have some books slabbed.  I've never had any books slabbed before and would like to go at opening on Thursday, I guess you pick up your slabs on Sunday?

Anyway, Sunday is sold out.  Looking for someone with an extra ticket for Thursday and Sunday.  In exchange for those two days' tickets (and help understanding the live slabbing experience if you're familiar with it), I would treat my host to either lunch or dinner on each of those two days in Manhattan at some of my favorite spots.  I'm a native Manhattanite (though I now live on the Jersey shore and commute daily) and figure if you're from out of town you might be overwhelmed by the variety of choices available.  I would happily treat my host to meals at some of my favorite spots, which might be exotic to you, such as:

The best secret Szechuan/soup dumpling spot in town (you have to promise to keep it secret)

Korean BBQ

French/Malaysian

The best ramen shop IMO

Ethiopian

Punjabi, Delhi or Southern Indian food

If anyone's interested let me know here or via PM.  I promise I'm not a serial killer, super villain or creepy perv.  Just another comic book weirdo (and food lover) returning to the fold.

19 minutes ago, iganatz said:

I guess you pick up your slabs on Sunday?

According to the CGC events page there is no onsite grading at NYCC. Baltimore yes, but not NYCC. You can drop off your books but they mail them back to you in the normal time frame. There are some other benefits as well.

September

pc_redline.gif

1-2 Fan Expo Canada 
Metro Toronto Convention Centre 
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 

7-9 Rose City Comic Con 
Oregon Convention Center 
Portland, OR 

8-9 Long Beach Comic Con 
Long Beach Convention Center 
Long Beach, California 

14-16 Cincinnati Comic Expo 
Duke Energy Convention Center 
Cincinnati, Ohio 

14-16 Keystone Comic Con 
Pennsylvania Convention Center 
Philadelphia, PA 

28-30 Baltimore Comic Con on-site grading available 
Baltimore Convention Center 
Baltimore, MD 

October

pc_redline.gif

4-7 New York Comic Con 
Javits Center 
New York, New York 

26-28 MCM London - Fall 
ExCeL London 
London, United Kingdom 

November

pc_redline.gif

2-4 Rhode Island Comic Con 
Rhode Island Convention Center & Dunkin Donuts Center 
Providence, RI 

Edited by Bird

22 minutes ago, Bird said:

According to the CGC events page there is no onsite grading at NYCC. Baltimore yes, but not NYCC. You can drop off your books but they mail them back to you in the normal time frame. There are some other benefits as well.

Huh.  I received some bad info.  Thanks for the correct information Bird, guess I will skip the event then.  Still happy to make any food recommendations for hungry visitors (other than the soup dumpling place - that stays with me), just PM me.  For all those coming to town, enjoy the show!

Bad news, unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year's NYCC due to other commitments. As a result,I have a ticket available for Thursday, Friday and Sunday that I'd prefer to sell and transfer to any boardie looking for tickets. If interested please send me a DM and will arrange.

Thanks

D

Edited by Every Day A Story

dang I was excited for this show but now I'm not sure it's going to be worth the higher ticket prices and hassle with the crowds over Baltimore.  I'm still planning on going to both shows (all 3 days for baltimore) but If I blow my wad in baltimore I might be looking to sell some of my NYC tix and just go Thursday and sunday.

I was mainly going to nycc since I've never been and wanting to compare it with SDCC and hoping to see media guests and artists and big books that don't always make it to heroes con or baltimore.  hope I won't be disappointed.

The creator guest list is pretty impressive in my opinion, so far all the below are attending in either panels or signings:

Jim Lee, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, Joe Madureira , Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis, Joe Quesada, Denny O'Neil, Alex Ross, Robert Kirkman, Jeph Loeb, Chris Claremont, Jim Starlin, Bill Sienkiewicz, Neal Adams, Mark Texeira, Larry Hama, Arthur Adams, Klaus Janson, Joe Jusko, Mark Bagley, Peter David, Olivier Coipel, Erik Larsen, Tim Sale, Sam Kieth, John Cassaday, Adam Kubert, J. Scott Campbell, Paul Pope, Whilce Portacio, Michael Golden, Greg Hildebrandt, Dave Dorman, Greg Capullo, David Mack , Dave Johnson, David Finch , Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Steve McNiven, Tom King.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:55 AM, Revol said:

The creator guest list is pretty impressive in my opinion, so far all the below are attending in either panels or signings:

Jim Lee, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, Joe Madureira , Grant Morrison, Brian Michael Bendis, Joe Quesada, Denny O'Neil, Alex Ross, Robert Kirkman, Jeph Loeb, Chris Claremont, Jim Starlin, Bill Sienkiewicz, Neal Adams, Mark Texeira, Larry Hama, Arthur Adams, Klaus Janson, Joe Jusko, Mark Bagley, Peter David, Olivier Coipel, Erik Larsen, Tim Sale, Sam Kieth, John Cassaday, Adam Kubert, J. Scott Campbell, Paul Pope, Whilce Portacio, Michael Golden, Greg Hildebrandt, Dave Dorman, Greg Capullo, David Mack , Dave Johnson, David Finch , Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Steve McNiven, Tom King.

I'm psyched at so many of those names on there but I'm dreading the super long lines, waits, and crowds just to say hi and maybe get an autograph or commission done.

BTW, does anyone know what the daily hours for the convention hall are.  The site shows 10am-5pm Thursday - Sunday.  Is that the hours for all 4 days or does it open later and close later on some days.

6 hours ago, justafan said:

I'm psyched at so many of those names on there but I'm dreading the super long lines, waits, and crowds just to say hi and maybe get an autograph or commission done.

BTW, does anyone know what the daily hours for the convention hall are.  The site shows 10am-5pm Thursday - Sunday.  Is that the hours for all 4 days or does it open later and close later on some days.

• Thursday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM*
  • Friday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM*
  • Saturday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM*
  • Sunday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

*Artist Alley closes at 8:00 PM.

I'm looking for a board member who can please pick up the two Tick comic exclusives from the New England Comics Press booth. I'll pay shipping and a reasonable pickup fee. Please PM me.

And if anyone knows how to get a Kubert sketch, that information would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks.

If anyone here's going, (maybe setting up a table, and so bringing stuff), and happens to have an original edition 75 Years of DC Comics book (the XL version with the box) from Taschen, drop me a line :bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to it...finished my first pass of panels to flag, now I need to go through and start pruning because I can't be in 4 places at once, heh.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, HOTFLIPS said:

Big News!!  We are thrilled to announce that Rob Liefeld will be signing at our booth 1B3 in Artist Alley on Friday and Saturday!!

image1-400x400.png.d4c73c759216765a6be7604fbb6c5983.png

Also have Marat Mychaels with our exclusive cover Do You Pooh! (Homage to Batman #227) There will be 3 different versions all limited

Reg Cover (Limit to 50)
Foil Embossed (Limit to 25)
Metal Cover (Limit to 15)

Image may contain: 1 person

Available at booth #1B3

Edited by HOTFLIPS

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I'll put it here nevertheless. I'm not going to the CON but a buddy of mine is. I would like to give him a slabbed book I have that I'd like to get re-slabbed. Is this something he can drop off at the CGC booth at the CON to get done? Also, how much does this process normally run?

Appreciative of any help I can get.