• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2018 -- It's still Never too Early, October 4-7
2 2

56 posts in this topic

Just now, comicjack said:

No wait for the ticket but the wait comes at the show along with the crowds :cry:

I've found it's usually not too bad if you wait until mid-morning.  They don't seem to do a very good job with line control, though.  In fact, given how many people are attending, they don't seem to have many (any?) staff people anywhere other than at the entrances, outside the conference rooms, and where people are getting autographs. 

I got tix for thurs, fri, & sun during presale after a 1.5 hr wait. I registered some friends with kids for the regular sale and managed to get all 4 days including an extra Saturday for me. what was really confusing is that they only offer a Sunday kids badge as opposed to a whole week kids badge or one for each day.  so for kids 6-12 that don't need a fan verification profile created, how do you buy and assign badges if the kids 6-13 want to attend Thursday -Saturday?  seems like they almost want to discourage kids from attending any other day but sunday. I guess one of them may have to give up their thurs-sat badge if their kid isn't allowed in with them without a badge.

btw, is thurs the slowest day there?  are all comic vendors fully set up on Thurs or is it better to come friday?  I'm thinking of just doing Thursday and Sunday and giving up my Friday/ Saturday badge to one of the kids if Saturday is when the cosplay contest happens.

4 hours ago, justafan said:

I got tix for thurs, fri, & sun during presale after a 1.5 hr wait. I registered some friends with kids for the regular sale and managed to get all 4 days including an extra Saturday for me. what was really confusing is that they only offer a Sunday kids badge as opposed to a whole week kids badge or one for each day.  so for kids 6-12 that don't need a fan verification profile created, how do you buy and assign badges if the kids 6-13 want to attend Thursday -Saturday?  seems like they almost want to discourage kids from attending any other day but sunday. I guess one of them may have to give up their thurs-sat badge if their kid isn't allowed in with them without a badge.

btw, is thurs the slowest day there?  are all comic vendors fully set up on Thurs or is it better to come friday?  I'm thinking of just doing Thursday and Sunday and giving up my Friday/ Saturday badge to one of the kids if Saturday is when the cosplay contest happens.

On Thursday the show is pretty busy and all the vendors are fully set up, but some creators and celebrities might not be there until Friday.  Saturday is just crazy and it is hard to even move around some times.

Edited by cms1

45 minutes ago, Revol said:

I got Thurs, Fri and Sun tickets, I only had to wait a couple of minutes in the queue as soon as they went on sale, I was very surprised. I'm looking forward to it, my first American convention! :)

You did good Saturday is just to crazy(thumbsu

NYCC is my local show and it's an absolute zoo.  Artist Alley was relegated to the corner basement where a single file escalator is the only way in.  It's fire hazard and potential death trap.

Thursday is the least crowded day but still packed.  Saturday is a nightmare.

Javits Convention Center is the worse venue for any major city worldwide.

I managed to get tickets for each day but this may be the last time I attend the show.  Smaller venues are a better experience.  Shows like Heroes in North Carolina, Baltimore (even though I am not a fan of the hotels and City), Boston are all better IMHO.

NYC is a great place to visit but please manage your expectations when it comes to the NYCC show itself.

Cheers!

N.

So...for all of 15 minutes I was excited about Thursday and Friday only attendance.  My first 'big' con in 15 years, and then I read the reality of NYCC is as above.  I can only hope that I won't regret skipping B'more (which I did enjoy having been to once)...skipping the SImonson's for a Simone...I have a 'local' guide, so that should help a bit.

William

Sorry to put a damper on your excitement.  I just wanted to manage expectations.  The guest list is always nice but the convention center really does inhibit the fan experience.  

I normally go out to dinner with other fans and collectors so that more than makes up for the shortcomings of the Javits center.

Plan ahead and you should still have fun.  

Cheers!

N.

I've got my tickets for all four days (surprisingly not as bad to get this year, compared to even last year)...I've found that once I expanded from three to four days, it took a lot of pressure off and I actually started enjoying the event a lot more the last couple years (when I did 4 instead of 3). I wasn't worried about going to the panels I wanted to and still being able to see everything on the floor because I had that much more time. Last year, I spent all of Saturday from like 930 AM to 6 PM at the Hammerstein Ballroom, in a chain of panels I was looking forward to, before going to Javits in time for the Black Mirror panel. I probably missed some good cosplay, but also the most crowded time in the Javits, and I considered that a fair trade-off.

The Artist Alley being in the basement corner last year (and again this year, I believe) wasn't the fault of ReedPop really, it's Javits doing construction on that separated bay building (whatever you want to call it) where the Alley used to be. I agree, it sucked--I never spent much time there, but it was still much larger and easier to navigate where it used to be, compared to where it was put last year. But I also remember before it moved to that bay, and it was bad before too.

Thursday and Friday are at least not as crowded as Saturday or Sunday (I mean, hey, Thursday tickets are still available, so clearly less people...). Everything is generally set up for Thursday, though some booths with smaller businesses/individual people may not be, but they may also randomly not be there on later days, so it's all a wash. The main stuff and all the comic vendors are usually there on Thursdays, though, from what I've seen. They may still be putting up wall books on Thursday morning, but they're at least there.