• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ny comiccon

13 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, artdealer said:

That's the best they could find at the show?!?!?

The art that we collect is invisible to them.  Even the "museum quality" pieces that people talk about only exist in the Museum of the Mind. 

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The art that we collect is invisible to them.  Even the "museum quality" pieces that people talk about only exist in the Museum of the Mind. 

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Museum of the Mind.

Nice!

I have to say, in my experience, the animosity only exists on the comic and OA collectors side, from the art side the responses I get to my is collection are either extreme interest or occasional indifference but no one ever knocks it, it’s almost always positive and they want to know about it. 

Leave it to artnet to gravitate to the derivative works rather than finding actual creative voices. 

It actually burns me, not how much of the IP mashup garbage people try to pass off as creative, but that it finds a willing, and receptive audience. It's lazy fan-service pablum, generated to fleece that audience from its cash. It's so much easier to make a table full of doodads with other people's popular characters on it for sale to folks fresh from the ATM.

The idea that it's considered art by anyone... makes my head spin. At best, it's an uncreative cash grab.

But that's just how I see it.

5 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

It actually burns me, not how much of the IP mashup garbage people try to pass off as creative, but that it finds a willing, and receptive audience. It's lazy fan-service pablum, generated to fleece that audience from its cash.

Agree. Which comes first the chicken or the egg? Do we blame the artists for not pushing boundaries (creatively) or the (potential) fans for not demanding more in the way of 'art' from artists? Or...Let's talk table fees here too. I don't know what NYCC costs for a booth or artists alley table off-hand, but I'm sure it's quite a bit. That's real risk right there, that your 'vision' of creativity falls flat and you leave after a long weekend very much net negative on both $$ but also lost time/energy for furthering other avenues of the artistic life. (Anybody that's ever really worked a con hard from their own table Fri-Sun knows that, forget travel time, Monday is very much a lost day too, just recuperating and catching up with bills, the mail, etc.) So to combat that, maybe if you go you have to cushion the blow (of risk) by offering only LCD product or just stay home? Did all the really creative folks just stay home and we don't even know it?

14 hours ago, vodou said:

Agree. Which comes first the chicken or the egg? Do we blame the artists for not pushing boundaries (creatively) or the (potential) fans for not demanding more in the way of 'art' from artists? Or...Let's talk table fees here too. I don't know what NYCC costs for a booth or artists alley table off-hand, but I'm sure it's quite a bit. That's real risk right there, that your 'vision' of creativity falls flat and you leave after a long weekend very much net negative on both $$ but also lost time/energy for furthering other avenues of the artistic life. (Anybody that's ever really worked a con hard from their own table Fri-Sun knows that, forget travel time, Monday is very much a lost day too, just recuperating and catching up with bills, the mail, etc.) So to combat that, maybe if you go you have to cushion the blow (of risk) by offering only LCD product or just stay home? Did all the really creative folks just stay home and we don't even know it?

I am not 100% sure, but friends who show or know people who show at NYCC say a 6 foot table is around $600.

8 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

The artist alley was jam packed with fantastic artists and it wouldnt have been hard to find great stuff to showcase.

Of course! My response to Eric of Did all the really creative folks just stay home and we don't even know it? mistakenly ignored everybody that write-up didn't feature :headbang: