• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 comics & history show and tell
4 4

146 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

To start I'll show some pictures from the October 16th 1939 Life Magazine I picked up because it reminded me so much of the cover of my Marvel Mystery Comics #4 which hit stands December 20th 1939.  I don't know the day the life magazine hit the stands, unlike comics, is it actually the cover date?

I believe production timelines made it possible for Schomburg to see this before his cover deadline.  (not that this is the first Nazi sub in publication)

It is the first Swastica on a Timely Comic book, and I think the 3rd on any comic.  Just behind the first Top-Notch Comics #2 (M.L.J.) on November 1st.

37250935051_dc27f9ecac_b.jpg

37222008452_beef1c1e52_b.jpg

The story behind the cover.  I wasn't expecting to read that a Nazi sub saved the enemy.

36995662240_db6602249b_b.jpg

That LIFE magazine cover swipe is really cool. 

On July 5th 1939, about a week after Action Comics #15 hit the stands,

29073604931_83f243e92d_o.thumb.jpg.08a0193b9a59abb0f7bcb946c4f65f13.jpg

New York Yankees "Murderers row" all star player of 17 years Lou "The Iron horse" Gehrig gives his famous "Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth" retirement speech.  He died less than 2 years later at age 37.  He set many mlb records, and As far as I know still holds several.

IMG_5305.thumb.JPG.e63ea91ec565e05a354d1e8422447fcf.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG.fa55f0442393c4c25592718aabb64e7c.JPG

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

7 hours ago, Primetime said:

Dating Mystery Comics #1 (on stands late Oct 1939, after MM2 but before MM3). 

1st Schomburg cover for Timely. 

0FCC4C0B-0514-4D06-A390-AB081DE78640.jpeg

What a great book!

I think it's Joe Simon's first published work for Timely Comics.

IMG_5310.JPG.05f1f7ddfe224fa39226dbf698488cae.JPG

48 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

What a great book!

I think it's Joe Simon's first published work for Timely Comics.

Yes, regarding Simon. Goodman had just hired him as his full time editor in Chief. And soon enough, Simon would pull away a young Kirby from FOX and mentor him at Timely for the next two years. 

Edited by Primetime

On 10/6/2017 at 5:57 PM, Knightsofold said:

To start I'll show some pictures from the October 16th 1939 Life Magazine I picked up because it reminded me so much of the cover of my Marvel Mystery Comics #4 which hit stands December 20th 1939.  I don't know the day the life magazine hit the stands, unlike comics, is it actually the cover date?

I believe production timelines made it possible for Schomburg to see this before his cover deadline.  (not that this is the first Nazi sub in publication)

It is the first Swastica on a Timely Comic book, and I think the 3rd on any comic.  Just behind the first Top-Notch Comics #2 (M.L.J.) on November 1st.

37250935051_dc27f9ecac_b.jpg

37222008452_beef1c1e52_b.jpg

The story behind the cover.  I wasn't expecting to read that a Nazi sub saved the enemy.

36995662240_db6602249b_b.jpg

After looking over over the photo again I just realized the real sub was lacking it's black paint with "death raider" written above its skull and crossbones on its sail like we know all German subs had....:devil:

On 10/7/2017 at 2:13 AM, PopKulture said:

This isn't necessarily the case. The Fifteenth Amendment was passed in 1870 and stated that rights shall not be abridged based on "race, color, or previous condition of servitude." Of course this makes no mention of women, who had to wait until 1920 (except in local and state elections).  Black males voted in numbers early on, even in the South where it took little time to disenfranchise them via poll taxes, literacy tests, etc. By the 1880's, what are generically termed the Jim Crow laws were in full effect, but most starkly in the southern states. In the north, these same efforts were less concerted, but intimidation certainly occurred at the local level. What the 24th Amendment did was to prohibit that manner of disenfranchisement explicitly. People argue to this day whether the prohibition of disenfranchisement is akin to enfranchisement, but African American males voted in national elections prior to the Civil War and certainly prior to 1964.

I think it depended on where she would have lived.  Not many African-American women (or men) were voting in the South in 1939.