• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 comics & history show and tell
4 4

146 posts in this topic

Cost of Living 1939

How Much things cost in 1939 
Average Cost of new house $3,800.00  
Average wages per year $1,730.00  
Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents  
Average Cost for house rent $28.00 per month  
A loaf of Bread 8 cents  
A LB of Hamburger Meat 14 cents  
Average Price for new car $700.00  
Toaster $16.00 Due to increased number of users Electricity prices have been cut by 1/2 in ten years. 
Hot Cross Buns 16 Cents per dozen 
Campbells Tomato Soup 4 cans for 25 cents 
Mixed Nuts 19 Cents per pound 
Fresh Peas 4 cents per pound 
Cabbage 3 cents per pound 
Sharp Wisconsin Cheese 23 cents per pound

This thread inspired me to start taking pics of my old magazines...here's a good Leyendecker (Rockwell was not the only great Post artist) cover from '39...well, '38 actually, but it's the New Years baby cover...:$  This huge magazine cost a nickel, while comic books were 10 cents.  No wonder more adults didn't read comics...:o

36899151514_05a43118e9_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

9 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

This thread inspired me to start taking pics of my old magazines...here's a good Leyendecker (Rockwell was not the only great Post artist) cover from '39...well, '38 actually, but it's the New Years baby cover...:$  This huge magazine cost a nickel, while comic books were 10 cents.  No wonder more adults didn't read comics...:o

36899151514_05a43118e9_c.jpg

I agree that Leyendecker had some great covers.  I think I may like him better than Rockwell.  Maybe because I've seen most of Rockwell's covers too many times.

The back story on these Posts is that they were sold to me by the same elderly man that I got my Tec 39 from.  He had a big stack of Posts in the garage, so I bought all of them.  I was driving down the street in my home town one day and saw him watering his lawn.  He lived in the old part of town, so I asked him if he ever saved any comic books.  He had 4 comics, and the stack of Posts.  Some days it's just good to open your mouth...(thumbsu

Here's another non-Leyendecker from 1939...considering the scarcity of comic books from this era due to wartime paper drives, I'm surprised so many Posts survived.  If you look at Ebay there are lots of them for sale, and many are really cheap...I guess people valued magazines more than comics...

37609694111_c15ded713f_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian