• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Runaways Pages

8 posts in this topic

I purchased these from a comic book art website years ago. I honestly don't know much about comic art.

I had these framed on my wall for years, and I finally decided to take them down so I could better preserve them. As I was doing that I noticed that one of them had a label on the back “Newbold Inks!!!.” Is it possible these aren’t the production pages? They were never presented to me as reproductions. Both pages have Alphona's name signed up on the left hand side. Sorry about the quality.

So I was hoping some of you could provide some input.

Molly.jpg

Molly Back.jpg

James Dean Front.jpg

James Dean.jpg

Just a general question to the OP. Do you have any experience with comic art or was this a one time buy? There are generally one penciler and one inker for every page in a book. Production and original are 2 different types of art, one being hand done and other not. Are they 11x17 inch? To me, they look like pencil pages or pencils with very tight/light ink. If they are 11x17 then they are most likely the original hand penciled and hand inked art used to make the comic. 

Hey,

I’m pretty sure that Newbold worked on the Runaways. I haven’t checked into whether or not he worked on that specific issue.

This was more or less a one time buy. I’ve got some pages from Alias too, but those we’re purchased recently.

David Newbold was the original inker on Runaways.  He did issue #s 1-5, 11-12.  It looks like you have pages from #2 and #8(?).  The #2 page has the Newbold Inks signature on the back, which would make sense.  I don't see any reason to believe that those pages aren't legit.  The only question would be whether or not the inks were done over Alphona's original pencils, or if they were done over a blueline copies of the pencils.  Can you see pencil marks under the inks?

Edited by rocket1312

David NewBold is credited with the inks on issues 1-5, 11 and 12. If they are 11x17 it's very possible these are original pencil and ink pages. If so congrats, early Runaways OA pages are a great score given the HULU show about to start.

11 hours ago, rocket1312 said:

David Newbold was the original inker on Runaways.  He did issue #s 1-5, 11-12.  It looks like you have pages from #2 and #8(?).  The #2 page has the Newbold Inks signature on the back, which would make sense.  I don't see any reason to believe that those pages aren't legit.  The only question would be whether or not the inks were done over Alphona's original pencils, or if they were done over a blueline copies of the pencils.  Can you see pencil marks under the inks?

There’s just barely some evidence that pencils were used. I looked after I saw your comment and I noticed that Alphona’s signature up top appears to be in pencil too.

I can’t remember the name of the site I purchased them from, but I do remember a lot of artists seemed to link the site directly so I probably shouldn’t have been too worried I guess.