• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2017 art pics
1 1

55 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, julianross06 said:

thanks from France, there are amazing artwork

how much are the Adam Kubert's pages  at Essential Sequential ?

Simon

The Wolverine pages were not priced and I was afraid to ask. lol Check with Jason at E.S.!

2 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

Thanks for sharing all the pics!  From all reports I've gotten from friends in attendance, artist's alley was an overcrowded sauna.  Impressed you were able to get this many without passing out.

At first, it was nice because it wasn't a freezing, drafty aircraft hangar like previous years. And they had carpet, so it was quieter and a little better on the feet. But the aisles were just too tight by the time the crowd rolled in Thursday afternoon. You really couldn't move. It was as bad as the main show floor in that regard.

I didn't manage to get any Batman White Knight pics on Saturday as I was stuck in panels all day. Did anyone see that stuff?

3 hours ago, Doc McCoy said:

Thanks for sharing all the pics!  From all reports I've gotten from friends in attendance, artist's alley was an overcrowded sauna.  Impressed you were able to get this many without passing out.

Pretty accurate, especially when we were there Friday.

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

The Wolverine pages were not priced and I was afraid to ask. lol Check with Jason at E.S.!

At first, it was nice because it wasn't a freezing, drafty aircraft hangar like previous years. And they had carpet, so it was quieter and a little better on the feet. But the aisles were just too tight by the time the crowd rolled in Thursday afternoon. You really couldn't move. It was as bad as the main show floor in that regard.

I didn't manage to get any Batman White Knight pics on Saturday as I was stuck in panels all day. Did anyone see that stuff?

I have 14 pics, yes. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to share them, however, as they were first offered at a private auction with some vague talk of confidentiality. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I have 14 pics, yes. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to share them, however, as they were first offered at a private auction with some vague talk of confidentiality. 

I asked Thursday about going to the auction. It was "full", but supposedly more pages were going to be displayed at the show on Saturday. I can attend an auction to re-stock my harem easier than this!

They should've just put the pages up on ebay for a global audience with whatever high starting bids they were asking. That would've put more eyeballs on them.

4 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I asked Thursday about going to the auction. It was "full", but supposedly more pages were going to be displayed at the show on Saturday. I can attend an auction to re-stock my harem easier than this!

They should've just put the pages up on ebay for a global audience with whatever high starting bids they were asking. That would've put more eyeballs on them.

LOL! What they did was smart. Gather a small, focused pool of existing SGM buyers and offer a limited amount of pieces to test the “market.” I picked up a number of pieces and may expand on it at a later time. Fun experience and yes, a bit over the top lol

Re: additional pages. They decided last minute to cancel issue 2 pages so not to upset DC, with the exception of the Freeze splash, which I picked up. I’ll post to CAF when I have scans this week. 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

3 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

LOL! What they did was smart. Gather a small, focused pool of existing SGM buyers and offer a limited amount of pieces to test the “market.” I picked up a number of pieces and may expand on it at a later time. Fun experience and yes, a bit over the top lol

Re: additional pages. They decided last minute to cancel issue 2 pages so not to upset DC, with the exception of the Freeze splash, which I picked up. I’ll post to CAF when I have scans this week. 

Wow! You got the Freeze splash! Congrats sir! 

14 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

What they did was smart.

Was it? Did all the people who could afford it know about the auction? If not, then money was left on the table.

I think exclusivity works in fixed-priced gallery sales when you are trying to get your buyers to stretch upward, but with auctions it is all about exposure.

Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Was it? Did all the people who could afford it know about the auction? If not, then money was left on the table.

I think exclusivity works in fixed-priced gallery sales when you are trying to get your buyers to stretch upward, but with auctions it is all about exposure.

Thoughts?

It was brilliant, yes. This is my understanding, and of course speculative. I'll preface this by saying I had a proxy go for me, and while I learned a lot, did not physically attend.

They contacted an existing pool of SGM buyers, inviting them to a "VIP", "exclusive" event. The purpose: test the market, see just how far they can push prices while sustaining sales.

About 18 guests showed up, half buyers and half observers/+1s. There were only 14 pieces – 5 buy it now and 9 to silent auction. This resulted in a highly-biased buying pool (existing SGM collectors) pitted against one another for a limited number of pages from the first issue.

The BIN prices ranged from $2400-$5000 for panel pages. Two sold – the $5000 one and a $3200 one. With the exception of the $3200 page, the rest were essentially talking-head pages (no costumes, heavy dialogue.) The remaining auction pages went up, 9 in all, closing one-at-a-time in 5 minute increments. The lowest starting bid was two pages at $1800, the highest starting bid was two variant covers at $10,000. Everything sold above starting bids. Average panel page price exceeded $3K. No splashes available that night.

The pricing was bullish. If it was so high that no one bought – and that was a very real possibility – that would look pretty darn bad for sales. But, since there was only a small handful of buyers there, they could adjust before presenting to the wider market with no skin off their back.

They tested in a highly-biased, fast-paced "you vs. me" environment with limited supply and high demand. Had they offered it publicly, people could've seen the prices, gasped, walked away, and that would set the tone. Instead, they can now boast they've sold out of most all pages, and at steep prices, pricing future pages accordingly.

All that said, I'm not sure that was an accurate test. Existing SGM collectors only have so much budget, a number of whom were possibly the most interested (highly speculative) may now have a page or two, and there's ~70-80 more pages to come (Sean is keeping half of each issue, 8 issues total.) I'm not sure the kind of pricing they've settled on can be sustained, so it'll be very interesting to watch. Pages can either sit, they can begin to process why this happened, given their highly-biased testing pool, and mark down accordingly...or the initial hype of the first page sell-out could drive sales, and thus prices, up.

They've pretty much pulled off Capullo pricing with the attached sales, and while even Capullo's sold out of all his good [Court] splashes at absurd pricing, there's still a number of panel pages available. Sean is even selling the B and C-rated panel pages at 2-3K+. AND he's doing it AS the issues release, with a possibility it could all fall apart, where as Capullo at least had the backing of his work being a modern classic.

Sucks as a buyer, but I respect Sean and his rep's strategic and marketing abilities.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like among those nine buyers those prices are attainable.

It's tough to say whether those same nine would have bid up the same way in a public auction PLUS any rogue, unknown bidders diving into the fray. I think with a modern "hot" book, I would've taken that into account. There may have been some slab or modern collectors who would've dived in.

Either way, an interesting experiment!

43 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Thanks for the info!

Sounds like among those nine buyers those prices are attainable.

It's tough to say whether those same nine would have bid up the same way in a public auction PLUS any rogue, unknown bidders diving into the fray. I think with a modern "hot" book, I would've taken that into account. There may have been some slab or modern collectors who would've dived in.

Either way, an interesting experiment!

Yeah, impossible to say for sure, but definitely interesting nonetheless. I'm pleased because the structure allowed me to purchase all the pages I wanted, whether I overpaid for them or not.