• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Anyone still Read Spawn?

55 posts in this topic

I LOVE Spawn, and always have. Let me make that clear.

My favorite issue was Spawn #100, which to me is CLASSIC. Back when Angela was still an Image character, that fight between Spawn and Angela VS Malebolgia was unforgettable for me, even over 10 years later. Spawn #200 was amazing, as was the Armaggeddon storyline, the Morana storyline, etc. 

It just seems that lately the Spawn story-line reached a plateau. The series has been retconned several times and I haven't collected an issue in some time, because I feel as though either Image ran out of stories for Spawn, or that Spawn's story is just done. Al Simmons died several times, came back several times, quit being Spawn, then is Spawn again, etc. I have to catch up on my reading to see where they are at.

Does anyone here read Spawn currently, and if so what are your thoughts? 

Feel free to disagree, I'd appreciate any feedback.  

Spawn.jpg

Funny you posted this, I was planning to resurrect an old thread. 

Since Simmons came back, it's been up and down.  Not really too great.  The Larsen run was a bad decision IMO. 

But the last arc has been pretty darn good.  I love Alexander's art, how they are growing some of Simmons' recent decisions in the new arc, the Cyan character, and the influence of Japan.  

Patrick

I haven't read Spawn since the 90s. For years I've 'planned' to go back and binge read through to see if I'd missed anything worthwhile. I figure, that many issues, there must be a good arc or three.

Someone must still be reading it... Comichron shows it between 15,000 to 20,000 copies per issue over the last couple of years.

I've been buying them again for a couple of years, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. They're sitting in a box...waiting. They look pretty nice, though!

I am trying to put together the run out of dollar boxes if I can, would probably go higher for some of those gunslinger issues.  But no, I probably stopped actually reading it in the 30s or 40s.

With that said, my shop puts as many out on the rack as the typical mid-tier marvel or DC title, unlike many small titles where he might only have 2 or 3 copies, so he must be selling them, because I don't see them in the cheap box 3 months later.

Spawn has literally been retconned so many times that comic fans tend to categorize Spawn as "First Age, "Second Age", Third Age", etc. Supposedly he was his most powerful when he was "God Spawn" acquiring god-status after eating from the Forbidden Tree. This is how we was able to deter God and Satan and re-create Earth after Armageddon. His 2nd most powerful form was right before he defeated Urizen (with Angela's help), because he had full access to the Green-World.

I stopped at about issue #250-251, because they kept erasing some of the key story line components that really made the mythology solid. I'm not even sure where they are at now, I lost track. As a Spawn fan, I am embarrassed to say I haven't bought a Spawn issue in a long time.

If they ever resurrect the "Curse of the Spawn" saga, I probably would pick that up, it was an interesting anthology. 

Ive been a fan since 93' and read them all.   Spawn is responsible for getting me into comics, twice(!) (once when I was a kid and once when I found my old spawns a few years ago).

I like the new comics and story, but I found myself reading with much more enthusiasm on earlier runs (pre-250).  I dont care much for she spawn, new NYX or a new costume.  I'd take Capullo art over Alexander art any day as well. 

With that being said the story is still kinda early and hints at some big things coming, so hopefully im pleasantly surprised.

Before the virus hit, I found a small lot of issues from 115 thru 210. 

As I was replacing the bags/boards, I flipped thru 119. 

I was surprised to see Gunslinger Spawn clearly in the issue. 

Why is it not worth more than 174/175?  
Because of the covers? 

It's funny because every listing on E-bay says 174 is the 1st appearance. 

But the CGC label does not.  

Also noticing that some are recognizing that 119 is and are listing that too. 

Now that I think about it, isn't this the same issue as the Freak? 

119 isn't exactly a common issue, but I'm pretty sure 174 had a lower print run.

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Before the virus hit, I found a small lot of issues from 115 thru 210. 

As I was replacing the bags/boards, I flipped thru 119. 

I was surprised to see Gunslinger Spawn clearly in the issue. 

Why is it not worth more than 174/175?  
Because of the covers? 

It's funny because every listing on E-bay says 174 is the 1st appearance. 

But the CGC label does not.  

Also noticing that some are recognizing that 119 is and are listing that too. 

Now that I think about it, isn't this the same issue as the Freak? 

119 isn't exactly a common issue, but I'm pretty sure 174 had a lower print run.

Patrick

its basically considered a cameo

1 minute ago, Brash Smurf said:

its basically considered a cameo

I need to go back thru the issue. 

There were so many new Spawn characters debuting.  Feels like a smart choice to pick-up multiple copies for other future appearances. 

Nevertheless, wanted to ensure others here knew about it. 

Patrick

2 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I need to go back thru the issue. 

There were so many new Spawn characters debuting.  Feels like a smart choice to pick-up multiple copies for other future appearances. 

Nevertheless, wanted to ensure others here knew about it. 

Patrick

yeah i have this issue. Also pick up 306 gunslinger cover and the 310 gunslinger cover. #06 is around $50 because no one really knew it was coming.

There are a few characters in 119 that are unnmaed that could see future appearance in the Spawn universe

35 minutes ago, Brash Smurf said:

yeah i have this issue. Also pick up 306 gunslinger cover and the 310 gunslinger cover. #06 is around $50 because no one really knew it was coming.

There are a few characters in 119 that are unnmaed that could see future appearance in the Spawn universe

So pissed about 306D....I missed it as I believe it was an FOC just announced cover that flew under my radar, and most other peoples as well I assume-$50!?!  I have been pre-ordering Spawn in multiples since about #251 and plan to keep going.  I am trade waiting on the reading though.  I have too much backlog of reading to even worry about it.  That said, I'm not too keen on the Alexander art.  I read Dark Horror and was underwhelmed, though I believe Phillip Tan is on art duties now which I think I'll like more as it will look more nostalgic Spawn to me.  As far as collecting these, their are already many issues in the past few months that have/are drying up fast and commanding premiums-mostly the 2nd and later printings so get on them if you can find them.  Below are a few:

#300J ASM 300 swipe

300-3rd print

300 4th

301-3rd Print=:flipbait:

302-2nd print error...was real hot but has cooled a bit

306D- Gunslinger Spawn FOC cover=:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair: because I missed it..lol

2 hours ago, gradejunky said:

So pissed about 306D....I missed it as I believe it was an FOC just announced cover that flew under my radar, and most other peoples as well I assume-$50!?!  I have been pre-ordering Spawn in multiples since about #251 and plan to keep going.  I am trade waiting on the reading though.  I have too much backlog of reading to even worry about it.  That said, I'm not too keen on the Alexander art.  I read Dark Horror and was underwhelmed, though I believe Phillip Tan is on art duties now which I think I'll like more as it will look more nostalgic Spawn to me.  As far as collecting these, their are already many issues in the past few months that have/are drying up fast and commanding premiums-mostly the 2nd and later printings so get on them if you can find them.  Below are a few:

#300J ASM 300 swipe

300-3rd print

300 4th

301-3rd Print=:flipbait:

302-2nd print error...was real hot but has cooled a bit

306D- Gunslinger Spawn FOC cover=:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair: because I missed it..lol

i had no idea that a third print of 301 existed. looks good in sketch cover. seeing it up to $100 on ebay after sells in the $30-$50 range.

7 hours ago, Brash Smurf said:

i had no idea that a third print of 301 existed. looks good in sketch cover. seeing it up to $100 on ebay after sells in the $30-$50 range.

That $100 listing is a very aggressive price for a raw plus they have 10 copies in the quantity.  They don't understand the concept of implied scarcity.  They will not sell any at that price for now I don't think.  $50 is achievable.