• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What no NYCC thread?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

I was there Thursday and Friday. My first NYCC, and maybe my last. I was pretty overwhelmed by the crowds, the Hollywood media circus, the mystery boxes, the fake plastic trees, and the not infrequent stench. That said, there were a lot of excellent comic books to be had amongst all that noise, and many of the well-traveled dealers were there, though no Bedrock or Worldwide. To be honest, between August Wizard World Chicago and September Baltimore Con, there was not a whole lot of new stuff to be seen. It was great to meet up with several boardies, new and old (in spirit only). I had my eyes on some beautiful Super-Mystery Comics, Mystic Comics, Pep Comics, even Sqeggs' old Going Steady, but settled on just one book, low-ish grade, with a pro-active spine roll, yet a very affordable and readable placeholder for my Planet collection:

iqJfdbC.jpg

10 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I was there Thursday and Friday. My first NYCC, and maybe my last. I was pretty overwhelmed by the crowds, the Hollywood media circus, the mystery boxes, the fake plastic trees, and the not infrequent stench. That said, there were a lot of excellent comic books to be had amongst all that noise, and many of the well-traveled dealers were there, though no Bedrock or Worldwide. To be honest, between August Wizard World Chicago and September Baltimore Con, there was not a whole lot of new stuff to be seen. It was great to meet up with several boardies, new and old (in spirit only). I had my eyes on some beautiful Super-Mystery Comics, Mystic Comics, Pep Comics, even Sqeggs' old Going Steady, but settled on just one book, low-ish grade, with a pro-active spine roll, yet a very affordable and readable placeholder for my Planet collection:

iqJfdbC.jpg

No surprise about Bedrock, given how he's been raising his appearance fee.

I will say, though, that last year he did generate a long line for his breath mint signing. 

10 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

And as this is one of those raw books, allow me to present some Planet 61 splash pages, for your reading pleasure.

Planet #61, LOST WORLD/George Evans

AU03GOT.jpg

Great stuff!  I have to admit that I've never read an issue of Planet Comics. :sorry:

Could be time to buy the reprint books. hm

19 hours ago, SuperBird said:

It seemed much more crowded than previous years. I know they cut down space in Artists' Alley, but the rest seemed stuffed as well. I didn't spend much time there, looked for Gator, failed. Left. :(

:cry:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Great stuff!  I have to admit that I've never read an issue of Planet Comics. :sorry:

The artwork is consistently above average to excellent, and the stories are actually not generally horrible. The stories in the first year of publication are simple and repetitive, but there is the charm that these were the very first sci-fi comic books out there. To paraphrase Alter Ego Magazine: they didn’t know it was the Golden Age. 

But I wouldn’t recommend the PS Artbooks editions, at least the first 5 or 6 volumes, as the color reproduction is a real disservice to the original printed pages. 

Or just come on over and read my copies! (:

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

That's hard to believe Tony. With a collection like yours, I'm surprised you have never picked one up. Cool books with great art as a rule. Stories are usually just OK but the covers and art rock. I wouldn't say I "collect" them but always pick up ones I don't have when the price is right.  (Not that that happens very often anymore). I probably have half of them.

5 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

The artwork is consistently above average to excellent, and the stories are actually not generally horrible. The stories in the first year of publication are simple and repetitive, but there is the charm that these were the very first sci-fi comic books out there. To paraphrase Alter Ego Magazine: they didn’t know it was the Golden Age. 

But I wouldn’t recommend the PS Artbooks editions, at least the first 5 or 6 volumes, as the color reproduction is a real disservice to the original printed pages. 

Or just come on over and read my copies! (:

I'm on my way!

Sorry to hear that the PS Artbooks reprints aren't up to snuff.  Just reading through some of the Amazon reviews, some of which seem to agree.